Sponsored by:

Wish I didn't buy a 911.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:56 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wish I didn't buy a 911.....

So the title of this thread was a little bit of clickbait - what I really mean is that I wish I didn't buy a 911, because now I'm hooked and want a stronger dose!

I bought a 2014 Carrera S about 4 months ago, but I've already been dreaming about my next 911. What I really want is a .2GT3, but I the economics make a .1GT3 more plausible. I will be going PDK so that others in my household can also drive it, FYI. I'm not interested in the GT3 RS because the look is just a bit "too much" for me. If I do upgrade, I don't plan on making the trade for another couple of years in all likelihood, but I'm the type who likes to establish a goal and then take steps to achieve it.

Anyone make the move from a carrera S to a GT3? Do you think it was worth the extra money, or did you regret it?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 1,757 Posts

GT3 is more "raw" - the Carrera is more comfortable - all depends what you want...my wife loves her Boxster and doesn't really like the GT3 (too bumpy and too loud is her feedback). Regardless it's hard to go wrong with a 911 but there are very different personalities..I know that ever time my GT3 scrapes my drive way with it's chin even with he front lift engaged…like I said a bit more "raw".

it's just best to "collect" them rather than swap them - need different ones for different days ;-)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Yes
Old 03-18-2019, 07:07 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Wish I could collect them, but wife says only 1 911 at a time. As someone once replied on this forum, if I upgrade and get the same color, it may take her months to notice it's a different car!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:13 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Welcome. The only Porsche 911 I’ve ever owned have all been GT3 (3 so far, all from new, and about 38k miles collectively). Never thought nor wanted any other 911 variant. No other car has put as many smiles on my face per miles and/or ownership. But people need to understand it for what it is, rather than compare it to anything else. Once you do that, nothing else matters.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by It'sGoTime

Anyone make the move from a carrera S to a GT3? Do you think it was worth the extra money, or did you regret it?
Yes and it is totally worth it.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Is your Carrera your daily? If so, I would be more hesitant of making the switch. While there are people who daily their GT3 (I’m actually doing that right now), it’s no the greatest daily by any stretch.

If it’s not your daily, then 100% YES make the switch
Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 PM
arty.pa
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't get any better than Porsche. I was looking to sell my GT3 but was in a dilemma between getting a Huracan, R8, or a GT3RS. I went with the GT3RS because something about the Porsche that pulls you in. Ya the Huracan or the R8 is amazing too, but I felt like I'd get tired of driving those so I purchased a RS
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

no one can really answer the question "is it worth the extra money" as its a very personal decision. But I still remember driving to purchase my .1 GT3 in 2014, driving my Carrera S to go test drive a used one and if I liked it buy the one on the showroom floor. the entire way there I marveled at how good the Carrera S was and what was I thinking, that is until I started the GT3 and went for a drive.........
Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 PM
wishman44
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Went from 991.1 Carrera GTS to 991.2 GT3. Couldn't be more satisfied. To me it has been well worth the extra investment. Suspension is a little firmer than the sports suspension I had on GTS, but not too significant. Besides this and the limited visibility with the rear wing, the GT3 is actually much easier to drive whether around town or more spirited drives. PDK is much improved. Better speed and smoothness of shifts and transmission handles lower speeds much better than the GTS did. Steering is also significantly better and much easier to maneuver with 4 wheel steering. And that engine! Once it revs out any regret will be gone for good!!! You should definitely put one in your future plans! :-)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

So the title of this thread was a little bit of clickbait - what I really mean is that I wish I didn't buy a 911, because now I'm hooked and want a stronger dose!

I bought a 2014 Carrera S about 4 months ago, but I've already been dreaming about my next 911. What I really want is a .2GT3, but I the economics make a .1GT3 more plausible. I will be going PDK so that others in my household can also drive it, FYI. I'm not interested in the GT3 RS because the look is just a bit "too much" for me. If I do upgrade, I don't plan on making the trade for another couple of years in all likelihood, but I'm the type who likes to establish a goal and then take steps to achieve it.

Do it, you won't regret it. Get a manual .2 GT3. It's what makes the .2 GT3 special imo. The only reason I upgraded from my GT4 to the GT3 is because they released it in manual. Like you, I have no desire for the GT3RS because it looks a bit "too much" for me and it doesn't come in manual. If you are set on PDK, it will be a great upgrade also.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:35 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going PDK so that others in my household can also drive it
Can I join your household
Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by obbob
Is your Carrera your daily? If so, I would be more hesitant of making the switch. While there are people who daily their GT3 (I’m actually doing that right now), it’s no the greatest daily by any stretch.

If it’s not your daily, then 100% YES make the switch
I used my 2010 997.2 GT3 as a daily. Put 22k miles the first 12 months. Super happy with it. Didn’t expect it to be an S600 or 750 suspensionwise. Understood space was limited. None of that mattered. If I needed more room for passengers, they can follow in other cars. I mean, once the owner understands the car and what it offers, there’s no reason to complain about anything. My apologies in advanced, but I don’t understand the complaint, unless age and limited physical mobility are a factor. I just don’t understand how anyone expects to drive and own a GT3 (car that’s a sport street car, but as close as possible to a race car as possible, and complain about it)...
Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Carrera is not my daily - I drive a lexus SUV most of the time. And the sad thing is there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Carrera - in fact I love driving it! But it's almost too luxurious. I'm looking for something that makes driving more of an event, since I only drive the 911 on weekends and the occasional evening during the week.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:39 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Originally Posted by NJRon

Can I join your household
hilarious!

Quick Reply: Wish I didn't buy a 911.....