Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by It'sGoTime
I will be going PDK so that others in my household can also drive it
thank you, now i have another reason to be happy i always go manual

Originally Posted by obbob
While there are people who daily their GT3 (I’m actually doing that right now), it’s no the greatest daily by any stretch.
agree, i'd never want to DD my gt3.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM
It'sGoTime
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Augdog1964
So does she support you, or do you work for a living?
Valid point, but in my experience, happy wife = happy life.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Really depends on what you want from a 911. I went from a 997tt and have no regrets but I wanted a NA car again and love the more raw feel.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2013 991 CS that I tracked. I replaced that with a 2015 991.1 GT3 and tracked that as well and got 5 seconds better lap time without even trying hard. Same track, same driver. However, I couldn't daily the GT3 due to the roads in the Northeast. I now have an RS. IT is a slippery slope for sure
Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

So the title of this thread was a little bit of clickbait - what I really mean is that I wish I didn't buy a 911, because now I'm hooked and want a stronger dose!

I bought a 2014 Carrera S about 4 months ago, but I've already been dreaming about my next 911. What I really want is a .2GT3, but I the economics make a .1GT3 more plausible. I will be going PDK so that others in my household can also drive it, FYI. I'm not interested in the GT3 RS because the look is just a bit "too much" for me. If I do upgrade, I don't plan on making the trade for another couple of years in all likelihood, but I'm the type who likes to establish a goal and then take steps to achieve it.

Anyone make the move from a carrera S to a GT3? Do you think it was worth the extra money, or did you regret it?
I did the upgrade. Had a 2006 and then a 2014 C2S, now a 2018 .2 GT3 (pdk). Love it, daily driveable, no second thoughts. And I'll say that hopping in the GT3 to run to the store, or drop someone off at a friend house or school, or whatever, comes along with a real sense of gravitas, I mean it's an event to drive that car, something I look forward too every day even though I don't drive it every day (but I did get snow tires, this car is not here to sit for 4 months of the year). It is a more raw experience on the street, not race car raw, but also not necessarily a simple street car either. It's fun to see a group of kids on the sidewalk pointing and snapping pictures (like i remember doing as a kid, without the camera-phones).

I plan to track it about 3 DE events per year (was doing 2x/yr with the 2014 for the last few years). Only downside is the no back seat thing, but my kids are too big to fit in the back (at least 1 of them is now, so can't fit a family of 4, or so my reasoning goes). Good luck with your journey. PM me if you want any more details. End of the day car is usable, driveable every day, bullet proof, trackable, and knows how to make an entrance.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Bought a 2014 C2S and absolutely loved it. It was an awesome car but I wanted a more aggressive/raw experience and the GT3 has always called to me.

So I made the jump to a very well optioned, low mileage 991.1 GT3 and couldn’t have been happier.

However, a couple things:

1. I was expecting a more aggressive Carrera and that’s not what the GT3 is at all. The GT3 is a completely different animal. It took me about a solid week to feel comfortable pushing it and I had my C2S for a year prior... Everything is amplified and far more brutal. The steering is heavier and the throttle input is totally different. This is a different car that just happens to look like a more aggressive Carerra.

2. The sound is a mixed bag. At high revs the GT3 sounds glorious but at low revs the C2S sounds better. A sharkwerks bypass is a must have mod for the GT3. Now the car sounds like it should across the entire rev range.

3. I work from home and only drive for fun. The GT3 comes out probably 3 times a week and I take it on spirited runs in the canyons. It’s an amazing car but I don’t think I would want to daily it if I had a commute. It’s not a rough ride by any means (I was expecting it to be way more harsh than my C2S and it’s not) but the constant chattering and hard shifts at low speeds would get old real quick in bumper to bumper traffic. This thing hates going under 35mph.

Overall I’m extremely happy with my decision to move from the Carrera to the GT3 and I don’t think I’ll own another Carrera unless it’s something aircooled.

Last edited by phow; 03-19-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

June of 2015 I bought my first 911, a 2012 991 C2S on the day the same day we took delivery of my wife's ordered Cayenne Diesel. Since then, I've had a 13 C2S, GT4 and now a GT3. She still has the Cayenne.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Valid point, but in my experience, happy wife = happy life.
Up until delivery day my wife assumed our big (for us) GT3 purchase was a three-pedal car. Once she found out that it wasn't she said "F*** yes" and even did some redline pulls on the way home. It really changed her attitude to the car as being an experience that we could share together versus her riding shotgun like normal.

Plus, PDK is pretty damn awesome. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:58 PM
PhilZJ
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Augdog1964
So does she support you, or do you work for a living?
Personally, I don't like the "I can do what I want with my money" I want my wife and I to be on the same page in regards with our goals (house, kids schools, cars, vacation/holidays, retirement plan, etc) .

Anyways, moving to the topic, my father has a 2012 Carrera S he bought new fairly early on. It's well equipped and it was the first Porsche I sat in and also the first one I drove. I always was a car guy, but this really added some urgency to my desire of owning a 'toy'. Driving it, well you know how it is, but to me the PDK shifts felt telepathic, the engine note changing with the lightest throttle modulation, I loved it. Not long after my cousin got a 997.2 GT3. That, I never drove, he offered many times and I declined. But sitting in it and riding around, I loved how raw it felt. Fast forward several years, and with my love for cars growing strong and stronger, I decided ok now is the time. So, I went to the local Porsche dealership and I test drove a 991.2 manual Carrera S. Honestly, I was disappointed, from inside, the engine note didn't change like it does on my dad's 991.1 with throttle movement and the manual transmission didn't add any magic to the formula, I missed the PDK being able to read my mind and amazing me with every gear change. (Also, my wife had no interest in a PDK, if we were getting a 'toy' it was to be a manual.) So here I am today, with a 991.2 GT3 manual with bucket seats. I absolutely love this thing, and if I couldn't get a GT3, I wouldn't have bought a 991.2 Carrera S. It's great car, it felt like it would be a great daily driver. But that's not what I was in the market for. I was buying a toy, I needed to feel the sense of occasion, I wanted the seat vibrating, I didn't mind the cumbersome ingress / egress from the vehicle. And the 6spd manual feel is fantastic... I find that I drive the GT3 slower on the roads than my daily driver, because I don't want to get to my destination, I want to spend more time in the car, I don't mind the red light, that means a couple of downshifts to engine brake and then a few upshifts once it turns green... but then when the road is clear and there is a long gap to the car ahead of me... both the devil and the angel over my shoulder whisper "Floor it".

So, after that paragraph of rambling, I didn't "upgrade" to a GT3, this is the first Porsche I own, but having spent some time in a 991.1 CS and plenty time in a 991.2 GT3, both are fantastic, but the GT3 feels more special and with the roads being fairly smooth in Florida, it's really not bad to drive around daily. I nailed a deer with my daily and while that was getting repaired I drove the GT3 and it was great, except I was worried about a repeat with the deer and then I really would be upset. To me though, 991.2 CS -> 991.2 GT3 is a bigger upgrade than 991.1 CS to a 991.2 GT3.
I am fortunate that the gt3RS doesn't come in a manual, because I would be back in the fold trying to get one of those

Last edited by PhilZJ; 03-20-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Wish I didn't buy a 911.....