Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Unotaz - thanks for the review.

Can you please explain more detail between the R and 991.2 gt3 clutch feel? Is the R more exact? Any difference in light / heavy feel? I never liked my touring clutch after 4400 miles - just too light / non exact, and am wondering if the R clutch was better.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Grant, is there definite evidence that the hydraulic system provides better feel or is this all subjective? I suspect this entire discussion is subjective. it's just a matter of preference.
It is objectively true that the electric system transmits less road detail back through the steering wheel - you would notice it in the first 30 seconds of driving back to back. Porsche has acknowledged this and tried to spin it as a reduction in "noise". While I have read opinions of some owners who don't miss the additional detail, I have never heard of any who actually have a preference for the feedback of electric system (while there are many cases of owners who badly miss the detail of the hydraulic system - and a few crazies like me who long for manual steering and a car light enough to use it effectively), assuming all of the advantages of RWS could be maintained and the precision of the newer chassis maintained with hydraulic (no reason it couldn't be).

Clearly Porsche and the drivers who drive them have a driving performance preference for Hydraulic, as that is the system employed in the GT3R, RSR, and Cup race cars, despite all of the racing advantages for electric (lighter, fewer things to break, less expensive). The only reason to stay with hydraulic in the case of these cars would be that electric cannot perform as well for the drivers (and allow them to be as effective at the limit).

Last edited by GrantG; 03-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GT3Laguna (10-09-2023)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

Can you please explain more detail between the R and 991.2 gt3 clutch feel? Is the R more exact? Any difference in light / heavy feel? I never liked my touring clutch after 4400 miles - just too light / non exact, and am wondering if the R clutch was better.
The clutch is also light on the R
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

unotaz bro. u
missed it!!!

wing vs touring
major difference

take ur boy to soccer game.
I drop him off
park wing properly
set up cheese plate left side of wing
set up lap top right side of wing
we poor folks need to work while kids play ball.

I can’t do that on my touring so I had to sell it
Oileater (09-03-2022)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:14 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

unotaz - thanks for the review

GT3 - pls do explain what you see are the differences (beyond the wing) between the winged and non winged versions ox the GT3.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:26 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 859 Likes on 380 Posts

Clutch feel is light on the 911R as well, but the bite point window on the R clutch is very small. Although light on feel, the clutch on the R is very exact. So exact that if you are not on it, you stall. This is the result from the SMFW in the car. Heel and toe in the R is also more difficult to master than the GT3.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-

Old 03-20-2019, 03:30 AM
unotaz
Drifting

My F12 TDF has hydraulic steering with RWS along with e-diff, so clearly this could be done. As to why Porsche chose to go with electric assisted steering? Well, I suspect it has something to do with budget.

Originally Posted by GrantG
It is objectively true that the electric system transmits less road detail back through the steering wheel - you would notice it in the first 30 seconds of driving back to back. Porsche has acknowledged this and tried to spin it as a reduction in "noise". While I have read opinions of some owners who don't miss the additional detail, I have never heard of any who actually have a preference for the feedback of electric system (while there are many cases of owners who badly miss the detail of the hydraulic system - and a few crazies like me who long for manual steering and a car light enough to use it effectively), assuming all of the advantages of RWS could be maintained and the precision of the newer chassis maintained with hydraulic (no reason it couldn't be).

Clearly Porsche and the drivers who drive them have a driving performance preference for Hydraulic, as that is the system employed in the GT3R, RSR, and Cup race cars, despite all of the racing advantages for electric (lighter, fewer things to break, less expensive). The only reason to stay with hydraulic in the case of these cars would be that electric cannot perform as well for the drivers (and allow them to be as effective at the limit).
Old 03-20-2019, 03:31 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Mooty, you crack me up buddy!

Originally Posted by mooty
unotaz bro. u
missed it!!!

wing vs touring
major difference

take ur boy to soccer game.
I drop him off
park wing properly
set up cheese plate left side of wing
set up lap top right side of wing
we poor folks need to work while kids play ball.

I can’t do that on my touring so I had to sell it
Old 03-20-2019, 05:31 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Just a tad over 2000 miles on the GT3. So please educate us, what is the difference between a wing version vs. the touring? I drove my friend’s 150 miles and couldn’t tell the difference?? Sounds the same, drives the same, shifts the same. All parts are sourced from the same suppliers. All spec are the same.

As for what you wrote on the 4.0 not worth the premium over the 3.8, I rest my case. That’s like saying the premium on the GT3 over the standard 911 is not worth it. Different strokes for different folks.
In several posts 2 or more 911R owners state it has less insulation ( one of the things it supposedly makes it feel special). In other threads, wing and Touring owners state the Touring feels louder than the wing version (perhaps it has the same insulation but the different intake make it louder). I was pointing out that people claim the Touring is louder inside than the wing, and that if you owned and compared a Touring vs the 911R, you would have been able to see whether that’s valid or not. But since you had the wing, you could not make the comparison. Anyways, I’ve never said the Touring is different than the wing on any post in the past (other than the intake box).

My point in this thread is not whether the Touring is a better car than the 911R. I’ve always thought the 911R is an awesome car. Some of you were fortunate enough to get a 911R at msrp. That’s great. But it’s a car that perhaps shares 95% of the components with the Touring. Sure, different suspension tuning (subjective which is best depending on driving style and application), SMFW vs DMFW (I prefer the SMFW in the R, but that can also be subjective to some), engine differences that allow 9k rpm and better power delivery vs 8.8k rpm in the 911R (No debate, most prefer the .2 Touring engine). Both have unique characteristics, but in my opinion, not significant enough to claim one is better than the other, nor for a 911R owner to say the differences are significant enough that the 911R is better than a Touring, specially under current market pricing difference (about $100k). Mooty sort of got it in post #67.

I love the 2011 4.0 RS. Amazing car, specially at msrp. Congrats to those that got it back then. Is it worth the extra msrp vs msrp difference between the 2011 3.8 RS? You bet. Is it worth $200k over the 2011 3.8 RS at today’s prices, not in my opinion. Perhaps that’s the main difference from those that got the R or 4.0 RS at msrp don’t see. If I got either at msrp, I wouldn’t sell them either and would probably have more miles on them than most people. But I also wouldn’t pretend they’re the best thing since sliced bread. They’re just fun cars. I drive them too much to care about numbered plaques, miles, or future depreciation. But I’m also not willing to pay $100k to $200k extra for something very similar.
GT3Laguna (10-09-2023)
Old 03-20-2019, 06:01 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
GT3 - pls do explain what you see are the differences (beyond the wing) between the winged and non winged versions ox the GT3.
Different air intake box, just like the 911R. (Search around in other threads). Perhaps it changes the acoustics and is the reason some people that have both the wing and Touring claim the Touring is louder inside (stock vs stock exhaust). I’m curious to know whether since it’s the same intake box as the R, it’s the reason they sounded similar inside to me as far a noise transfer goes (Not regarding volume, since mine has long tube headers and felt louder inside). I do not know, but I feel there’s very little insulation in the Touring (I would not want it louder). Already have to raise my voice to have a conversation during intermediate+ acceleration, and phone conversations through the CarPlay are damn near impossible (Have to have all the windows up, not accelerate hard, and lean in for people to hear me. I don’t use anymore). I also hear every damn pebble and engine noise like unotaz claims in the first post.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

I love my 3 peddle .2 GT3. It is better than the 911R and the Touring. It is also better than the 997 4.0.

Do you know why??

Because it is mine and I say so

Who cares!! If I owned a 911 R or a Touring I would feel that it is the better car. My 2018 M3, which is my DD, is the best DD.

Less debating more driving. Weather has broke in Chicago, and have been driving my Baby. What an unbelievable toy. The throttle response is mind boggling. I have been DD my 2018 M3 since Dec and thinking it was fun and fast and then you hop in your GT3 and realize why one paid another $100,000 for it and worth every smile.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with Jimmy. 911R or manual 991.2 GT3/touring are all great cars. Given a choice I'd take a 911R at msrp. Would I take a 911R for 300k? No way in hell. I'd take a 991.2 gt3 touring with a better engine and pocket 120k instead.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Home Depot run
Excellent review Unotaz. I couldn't agree more. I have over 4000 miles on my R and use it regularly. What a privilege. Your liquid cooled top 5? Well, I agree with the top 3 but you know I don't drive PDK. And again, the GT3, both versions, is an excellent car. But the R is special.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Great comparison. Thank you for writting.

I have to make sure I don't drive an R if offered. It comes down to "reference based on experience".
my gt3 manual is the best car I have ever driven.
The best manual transmission I have ever shifted. Best sportscar I have ever owned. I am glad I have not driven an R.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

IMHO Jimmy and drdonger have distilled the essence of the argument. The R and GT3 cars are sublime machines and obviously the only way to appreciate that is to drive them.
The weather here in Ohio likewise has the feel of approaching spring and yesterday I was able to wash the car for the first time since taking it out of storage last week (ambient temperature 52 degrees, triple distilled Fuji water, pH 7.4, four buckets, and virgin camel hair brushes, as usual) Certainly no Kirkland microfiber towels except the ones I bought at Costco. Car shined up beautifully and rewarded my efforts in spades. Never fails to put a on my face whether sitting on the driveway or ripping around the countryside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)