Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

This thread definitely makes you want to step away and drive. Just got back from 2.5 hour drive in R. Seattle to Ellensburg and back - over the Cascades with sun rising - about 200 miles. Great car IMHO. Looking forward to same drive in Speedster this fall.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
It's a Carrera with a body kit and decals, not even an S, dude even put the R shift **** on the 7 speed.
Says the dude put an M badge on his 318 cabrio ... nice try Alice
Old 05-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

It's a Carrera with a body kit and decals, not even an S, dude even put the R shift **** on the 7 speed.
Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Says the dude put an M badge on his 318 cabrio ... nice try Alice

can you say Zombie Apocalypse!!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I wasn't referring to your comment specifically. I own multiple cars, so there is no bias for me when I review my cars because I own them all anyways. I felt the new .2 GT3 engine is an improvement over the old .1 RS engine, so that's what I said in my review. Unfortunately, that was the only thing going for the GT3.
@unotaz lets go for a drive
Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Hey Brian Himmelman, have you considered closing down your profile and starting a new one? You know, like when that loser kid switches schools to get a fresh start on his reputation? I mean, we'd probably figure out its you after awhile but you could get a solid 4-5 posts in before people start vomiting in your general direction again. You ruin every thread you participate in, get some therapy for the borderline issues FFS.

Or, just get lost, find a new hobby.. here.. this would seem to suit you better
Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Hey Brian Himmelman, have you considered closing down your profile and starting a new one? You know, like when that loser kid switches schools to get a fresh start on his reputation? I mean, we'd probably figure out its you after awhile but you could get a solid 4-5 posts in before people start vomiting in your general direction again. You ruin every thread you participate in, get some therapy for the borderline issues FFS.

Or, just get lost, find a new hobby.. here.. this would seem to suit you better https://youtu.be/Ofq_nl366VM
Thanks, appreciate the advice

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-18-2019, 06:52 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Or, just get lost, find a new hobby.. here.. this would seem to suit you better
Hahaha so true. One of the reasons RL has declined so much. This Brian guy is trying so hard to pretend to have a 911R. I do not get it. All modern Porsches are good cars, especially GT3 and 911R, as Michael said. Just different flavors. Get what you like, and enjoy. Life is too short, and FFS do not pretend to have a car you claim to hate so much. So lame.
The following users liked this post:
786 (01-09-2021)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

This is entertainment. I was getting gas today and, as usual, someone came up to me to talk about my car. He was like “beautiful car.” I was like “thanks.” He asked how fast I had gotten it up to. I said about 72mph as the spoiler deploys at 75 and I have never seen it go up driving.

Sometimes the follow on is as good or better than the original, but I could never tell one way or the other.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 174 Posts

Or, just get lost, find a new hobby.. here.. this would seem to suit you better https://youtu.be/Ofq_nl366VM
lol Has anyone seen Alex Jones and Brian Himmelman together at the same time?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:47 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
lol Has anyone seen Alex Jones and Brian Himmelman together at the same time?
That's it! That's why he went with the Green stripes instead of the Red! It's a tribute to all the frogs turned gay! This all makes sense now, I think I'll go put an M badge on my RS now just to join the club.

On a side note I just ordered the 911R book as it looks like a pretty incredible journal of all things R and really fascinated by all the care that has gone into the planning and building of it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

That's it! That's why he went with the Green stripes instead of the Red! It's a tribute to all the frogs turned gay! This all makes sense now, I think I'll go put an M badge on my RS now just to join the club.

On a side note I just ordered the 911R book as it looks like a pretty incredible journal of all things R and really fascinated by all the care that has gone into the planning and building of it.
A lot of panties in a knot over some vinyl from the part dept on a GT3 ... lots of fun ladies
Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
The dyno plot from Porsche is what they estimate at the crank.

The dyno's I am quoting are from various board members, myself and Dundon, who have dyno'd 991.1RS' and 991.2 GT3's on the same dyno. The 991.2 GT3 consistently puts down 30-35 more rwhp torque and hp than the 991.1RS. The 991.1RS has the same engine as the 911r. In addition to being a manual, the reason I chose getting a 991.2 GT3 over the 991.1 RS is the engine. The 991.2 engine is way better and you can feel the difference in torque. The same goes for the 911r. In an ideal world, it would be nice to get a SMFW in a 991.2 GT3. Then you have the best of both. The rest of the differences, I hardly care about.

Recalibrated RWS is preference, so is the suspension. The GT3 has heavier steering weight, which many prefer, it also has a stiffer suspension, which arguably makes more sense on a car you want to feel rawness with. That is why I said steering, suspension and RWS calibration is preference. Carbon hood and magnesium roof only save a few lbs and look no difference when painted. Removal of interior insulation is minor to me. I rode in an RS back to back with my GT3 on Sunday and I could barely hear any difference. If you want some sound just add an aftermarket exhaust.

As far as values are concerned, I don't know a ton about market. I do know that I don't try to make money on cars and would never pay over msrp for one. I think it's stupid to pay over msrp for anything, regardless of the if, ands or buts of resale. Paying 100-200k over on a car is just plain stupid to me. If you want to make money, there are better ways than buying cars.

actually the R and .1 RS motors are different in some ways because the .1 RS has ram air effects from the side intake, the TAG book is amazing, if you own an R they are numbered and you can get one to match your car sometimes, the book documents many of the changes in the R and lists options for each and every car built and ummmmm, why are we fighting amongst ourselves?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:53 PM
Wotan2017
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My contribution to the slide show - my GT3 T

Old 05-18-2019, 11:25 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

I have to admit that if I was buying a touring model, I would put the stripes on it and make it look like a R as well. Only difference is I wouldn't get on here and tell people that the R sucks and my touring is just as good. I would be happy to just drive it.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:27 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
actually the R and .1 RS motors are different in some ways because the .1 RS has ram air effects from the side intake, the TAG book is amazing, if you own an R they are numbered and you can get one to match your car sometimes, the book documents many of the changes in the R and lists options for each and every car built and ummmmm, why are we fighting amongst ourselves?
It's just playful banter, I have tried to avoid these types of things but they have become so common it's very hard not to get involved, I shouldn't have and will get back what I usually do which is ignore it. I look forward to the book just to see all those options I still have my eye out for an R and may end up taking the plunge. I just never drive my RS on the road, I had hoped to keep my Touring for road duty but found the chassis and suspension just a little too harsh for the road and the R was more my taste. I really loved my Touring for the track really fun and the engine was just built for it, the RS is just that much better and as a Track car just can't be beat. If you want lap times the RS is the way to go without question. For the Road all the engines are fanatastic and no one will ever care which one they have. It just isn't a factor unless they are beating the hell out of it at the Track. The little things like the rev limit I def missed in the .1RS vs the .2 RS on the track. On the road really missed the manual and that steering input from the R and the response with the LWFW. all the factors that would bother me on the track, make a little drive to starbucks supercool. I'll probably switch to an R and get a dedicated Race car for the Track it just seems like the way to go hell I may even move to open wheels as the power to weight ratio is just ridiculous and once you get the bug......

Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)