Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

If I recall correctly, he made the same accusation with you when you did a review between your GT3 and your R. He claims you don't own those cars either. I think that's his only comeback

Originally Posted by tims16m
Micheal you are having too much fun!! This kind of stuff from Mr Brian is the exact reason I haven't been on the forums in a long time and don't participate in these RL discussions. Better things to do with my time. But could not resist on this, making assumptions about someone from an internet posting is just ridiculous. I do own a Porsche, but I also have a Toyota. Hopefully that doesn't put me in bad standing.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
thanks for taking the time to write down your thoughts.

agree on the .2 bumper being a bit too angular for my taste also. I actually posted a while back to see if the .1 bumper will fit on .2 cars as I was thinking of swapping it in but I didn't get a response.

did this question ever get answered, I feel same way to me the .1 nose is like a white shark, the .2 is like a hammerhead shark, I prefer the .1
Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
With so many opinions, you should start a Porsche newsletter on design and values. You could be the next Alex Jones of print media.
Good one ... I think the whole thread is pretty Alex Jones ... thesis is his R is an outer-worldly unicorn and the GT3 manual is a mere donkey ... of course it will get a bit silly ; )

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:38 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WernerE
With so many opinions, you should start a Porsche newsletter on design and values. You could be the next Alex Jones of print media.
Originally Posted by unotaz
Eating too much McLobster is bad for your health Mr. Brian
A delicacy you enjoy on celebratory occasions Michael? I will pass ... my friends call me Mr Brian lol

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Name:  photo325.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  644.1 KB
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Cute dog
Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The R and Touring are both great cars. Very similar but with substantial differences (if that makes any oxymoronic sense). Kind of like the Karate Kid: "Different but same." The R has the exclusivity factor. The Touring has the better engine. The R has the lightweight bits - hood, roof, door pulls, sticker badge, etc. The Touring has the no lift shift, if you are into that kind of thing. The R hits 200 mph. The Touring hits 198 but has the faster lap time. The R has (by all accounts, from what I have read) a street and B-roads focused suspension. The Touring's suspension is more track-focused. The R has the optional single mass flywheel. The Touring only comes with the dual mass flywheel. The R has the 991.1 exterior and interior. The Touring has the 991.2 upgrades (Apple CarPlay, aesthetically improved door handles, tweaked front and rear lights). The Touring has the Gurney flap (which I read somewhere that AP said it was a "lesson learned" from the 911 R).

I was fortunate to get a PTS Touring allocation (for a $10k ADM) which, to me, is worth more than someone else's throwback GT silver R for who knows what price over sticker? To be able to create a dream car to my exact specs is priceless. I will be the first to admit that I emulated (some would say "copied") the 911 R - light ivory (which was one of the colors of the original R), houndstooth seat inserts, 911 R carbon shifter - but I did so not because I want to have an R but because I appreciate the understated interior and exterior subtleties of the R and I wanted that for my car. As I have said in the past, if I could have an R or a Touring at sticker or at $10k ADM, I would take the R. Why? Because I am not a track rat and I would prefer a more street-focused car. But, although it is hypothetical, I wonder if perhaps I would be less likely to drive an R than a Touring, given its exclusivity? I fully plan on keeping the Touring forever and driving it until MY wheels fall off. At the end of the day, those of us who are lucky enough to have an R or a Touring are very lucky indeed.

Wow, great comments ... sound like your car is pretty special to me although the thread starter is quoted as saying your car is “not special” as well as

takes a certain kind of arrogance to start a post for no other purpose but to posture ... claiming no bias because owns both ... hummm ... logic is if one already has the holy grail R manual as the undisputed best road car what purpose is there buying (sceptical) a new manual winged GT3 too ? If for a change or for track then a winged PDK or RS would be the easy choice ... but no that’s not it ... kudos if parent or new money allows one to pick up a new GT3 for such a nefarious purpose but 99.9% of car lovers would die for either car ... so I guess that leaves less than .1% ... this particular group seems to be the current problem with US politics and how you ended up with a Trump as ur Prez ... he tapped into the hatred and resentment most have for this level of excess and arrogance (irony is painful) ie thread starter aka lots of toys ... most of my posts were Alex Jones ridiculous but managed to bring out the point I am making ... sarcastic digs, GT3 insults and childish (what he calls) comebacks ... even west coast pals were like hey bro don’t get sucked in ... impartial comparison as a service to the Porsche community .... nope ... big ego, insecurity and arrogance ... oh yeah ... lots of toys ... ur toys are more special than mine I got it ... u r more special, I got it ... all too funny bro but kinda nailed it ; ) ... but who am I to call you out I am just a lowly GT3 Touring owner

back to the rest of RL where most are here to share their passion and are generally respectful of others

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 09:05 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 AM
twistor
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
did this question ever get answered, I feel same way to me the .1 nose is like a white shark, the .2 is like a hammerhead shark, I prefer the .1
In terms of visual differences the R also has the ‘double bubble’ roof which doesn’t seem to get mentioned?

Both the R and GT3T are amazing products.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I think what’s getting lost in this conversation is that 991 R’s were produced and they sold for MSRP relatively same price as the GT3, and now the ones who purchased the flip is who paid over. Original R owners are sitting pretty, and the ones I know will not sell and drive their cars. There’s less than 5 for sale and 100k plus on the down turn which is basically the bottom. Guys just enjoy your cars ..............
The following users liked this post:
Brian Himmelman (01-04-2024)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Wow, some of the posts on here are just mind blowing. These are just cars, people. Get a life. Go drive and step away from the world of RL.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:02 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Wow, some of the posts on here are just mind blowing. These are just cars, people. Get a life. Go drive and step away from the world of RL.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 AM
JMKC
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
oh please, no R owner is doing that. Most don’t even take them out of the garage to drive them. Never mind have the stones or skill.
I can confirm I did do that when I took Euro delivery of my R. And 250km/h was not a stress free experience.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Is that an R or a touring? Sorry, couldn't resist poking the bear one more time.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
The R and Touring are both great cars. Very similar but with substantial differences (if that makes any oxymoronic sense). Kind of like the Karate Kid: "Different but same." The R has the exclusivity factor. The Touring has the better engine. The R has the lightweight bits - hood, roof, door pulls, sticker badge, etc. The Touring has the no lift shift, if you are into that kind of thing. The R hits 200 mph. The Touring hits 198 but has the faster lap time. The R has (by all accounts, from what I have read) a street and B-roads focused suspension. The Touring's suspension is more track-focused. The R has the optional single mass flywheel. The Touring only comes with the dual mass flywheel. The R has the 991.1 exterior and interior. The Touring has the 991.2 upgrades (Apple CarPlay, aesthetically improved door handles, tweaked front and rear lights). The Touring has the Gurney flap (which I read somewhere that AP said it was a "lesson learned" from the 911 R).

I was fortunate to get a PTS Touring allocation (for a $10k ADM) which, to me, is worth more than someone else's throwback GT silver R for who knows what price over sticker? To be able to create a dream car to my exact specs is priceless. I will be the first to admit that I emulated (some would say "copied") the 911 R - light ivory (which was one of the colors of the original R), houndstooth seat inserts, 911 R carbon shifter - but I did so not because I want to have an R but because I appreciate the understated interior and exterior subtleties of the R and I wanted that for my car. As I have said in the past, if I could have an R or a Touring at sticker or at $10k ADM, I would take the R. Why? Because I am not a track rat and I would prefer a more street-focused car. But, although it is hypothetical, I wonder if perhaps I would be less likely to drive an R than a Touring, given its exclusivity? I fully plan on keeping the Touring forever and driving it until MY wheels fall off. At the end of the day, those of us who are lucky enough to have an R or a Touring are very lucky indeed.
Is that an R or a touring? Sorry, couldn't resist poking the bear one more time.

Magnus’s pretty sure it is no R but he advises ... do what look u like and enjoy ... I like the 1967 livery w green stripes as it looks plain to me without PTS, stripes or a wing ... ‘16 R owners on RL are only hecklers but all normal people I meet in my travels love the look and the car ... few know or have ever seen an R (East Coast, Canada) ... most Porsche folks respect the retro mods, backdates and dowhatyoulike 911’s ... draw the line at changing badges to a car it is not but a homage to excellence of 911 R past and modern is ok by me .... cheers

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

It's a Carrera with a body kit and decals, not even an S, dude even put the R shift **** on the 7 speed.

Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)