Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

OMG! How did you know I had a Civic back in the days? You're absolutely correct, I am just a pretender who takes pictures at owner's house. Please Mr. Brian, tell me how I can afford the Touring? How much down payment did you put down on your car so I can be just like just you and park it in a spacious two car garage?

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
I think this is a troll ... someone who take pics at owners house as sent a pic with a 918 so has access to the cars ... seems to know some cars details well ( maybe from YouTube ) but most stuff he makes up ... he definitely has not been behind wheel of the cars by his comments which are direct cut and pastes ... seems young Golf or Civic
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
OMG! How did you know I had a Civic back in the days? You're absolutely correct, I am just a pretender who takes pictures at owner's house. Please Mr. Brian, tell me how I can afford the Touring? How much down payment did you put down on your car so I can be just like just you and park it in a spacious two car garage?
Michael...you're having too much fun. Go do some work or prep a car for ACH tomorrow
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 PM
unotaz
Drifting

I can't help it, I have so much to learn from Mr. Brian. I need to learn from him just how much monthly payment I need to save in order to afford a Touring like him.

Speaking of ACH, I'm planning to be there in the early AM to run with a few guys.

Originally Posted by C5driver
Michael...you're having too much fun. Go do some work or prep a car for ACH tomorrow
Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Speaking of ACH, I'm planning to be there in the early AM to run with a few guys.
Of course! Stay safe.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:09 PM
unotaz
Drifting

It depends on how long you will hold onto the car. If you plan on keeping the car a long time (eg. over 7-10 years), then the R value will appreciate whereas the Touring will stay relatively flat or depreciate. If you are just looking to keep it for a year or two, then it makes more sense financially to get the Touring, assuming you get it at MSRP.

Originally Posted by rodsky
I'd still take a 911R over a Touring. If i was worried about the track or track times, i'd get a winged GT3 or better yet an RS. Having said that - i wouldn't pay significantly extra to get an R (maybe 30K max).

So given that R's arent going to be down to $220 any time soon - my plan is to get a Touring.. when i have some time to drive it.

I'm not sure I'd try and make my touring look like an R though (No stripes or decals for me) . Just teasing.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

I can't help it, I have so much to learn from Mr. Brian. I need to learn from him just how much monthly payment I need to save in order to afford a Touring like him.

Smart

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Can make up all the BS subjective ... light feel here or slight rattle sound there but GT3T is simple the superior car period on a highly technical track ... it is not .25 sec in difference it is 2.5 plus secs ... I will take my car a true successor the 1967 race car

It depends on how long you will hold onto the car. If you plan on keeping the car a long time (eg. over 7-10 years), then the R value will appreciate whereas the Touring will stay relatively flat or depreciate. If you are just looking to keep it for a year or two, then it makes more sense financially to get the Touring, assuming you get it at MSRP.
None of the R’s with ugly Halo double LED’s will appreciate ... period ... only the classic single headlights ... 991 LED’s are the same as Porsche attempt to modern 996 headlight design ... time will be cruel to the ugly ducklings ... new 992 is back to classic 911 and consistent with Motorsport GT’s single light design ... all this time and energy pumping and pumping the R on RL for ... not

buy the Touring
Old 05-17-2019, 07:06 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

I think this is a troll ... someone who take pics at owners house as sent a pic with a 918 so has access to the cars ... seems to know some cars details well ( maybe from YouTube ) but most stuff he makes up ... he definitely has not been behind wheel of the cars by his comments which are direct cut and pastes ... seems young Golf or Civic
Micheal you are having too much fun!! This kind of stuff from Mr Brian is the exact reason I haven't been on the forums in a long time and don't participate in these RL discussions. Better things to do with my time. But could not resist on this, making assumptions about someone from an internet posting is just ridiculous. I do own a Porsche, but I also have a Toyota. Hopefully that doesn't put me in bad standing.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tims16m
Micheal you are having too much fun!! This kind of stuff from Mr Brian is the exact reason I haven't been on the forums in a long time and don't participate in these RL discussions. Better things to do with my time. But could not resist on this, making assumptions about someone from an internet posting is just ridiculous. I do own a Porsche, but I also have a Toyota. Hopefully that doesn't put me in bad standing.
Not so hard on Michael please ...

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

He's a professional arguer of wishes and hypotheticals... don't waste your time with actual knowledge. His is unlimited, yours is.. rooted in fact... his kind will always win.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by higx

Nice try 911R flipper at inflating the investment. We all know the Touring owns all.
Really

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-17-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

None of the R’s with ugly Halo double LED’s will appreciate ... period ... only the classic single headlights ... 991 LED’s are the same as Porsche attempt to modern 996
With so many opinions, you should start a Porsche newsletter on design and values. You could be the next Alex Jones of print media.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

The R and Touring are both great cars. Very similar but with substantial differences (if that makes any oxymoronic sense). Kind of like the Karate Kid: "Different but same." The R has the exclusivity factor. The Touring has the better engine. The R has the lightweight bits - hood, roof, door pulls, sticker badge, etc. The Touring has the no lift shift, if you are into that kind of thing. The R hits 200 mph. The Touring hits 198 but has the faster lap time. The R has (by all accounts, from what I have read) a street and B-roads focused suspension. The Touring's suspension is more track-focused. The R has the optional single mass flywheel. The Touring only comes with the dual mass flywheel. The R has the 991.1 exterior and interior. The Touring has the 991.2 upgrades (Apple CarPlay, aesthetically improved door handles, tweaked front and rear lights). The Touring has the Gurney flap (which I read somewhere that AP said it was a "lesson learned" from the 911 R).

I was fortunate to get a PTS Touring allocation (for a $10k ADM) which, to me, is worth more than someone else's throwback GT silver R for who knows what price over sticker? To be able to create a dream car to my exact specs is priceless. I will be the first to admit that I emulated (some would say "copied") the 911 R - light ivory (which was one of the colors of the original R), houndstooth seat inserts, 911 R carbon shifter - but I did so not because I want to have an R but because I appreciate the understated interior and exterior subtleties of the R and I wanted that for my car. As I have said in the past, if I could have an R or a Touring at sticker or at $10k ADM, I would take the R. Why? Because I am not a track rat and I would prefer a more street-focused car. But, although it is hypothetical, I wonder if perhaps I would be less likely to drive an R than a Touring, given its exclusivity? I fully plan on keeping the Touring forever and driving it until MY wheels fall off. At the end of the day, those of us who are lucky enough to have an R or a Touring are very lucky indeed.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
At the end of the day, those of us who are lucky enough to have an R or a Touring are very lucky indeed.
This. Can we end this thread here?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:09 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Eating too much McLobster is bad for your health Mr. Brian

Not so hard on Michael please ... his back handed comments of only a double garage or financing payment or downpayment to buy a Touring were laughable and only in good fun ... he has no issues with insecurity over materialism “a few toys” lol ... he simply wants the world to know that his car is better than others ; ) Welcome back to discussion and enjoy your time well spent

Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)