Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Brian Himmelman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Imitation is the highest form of flattery
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Brian Himmelman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 PM
Bullitt44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
I never drive with the rev matching on. I hate the Sport button, it artificially slows down the rev drop on upshift. HATE IT!

That is the "No Lift Shift" program. Try it at lower RPM for mental safety, the car is asking for it........that being said I would love to code it out!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdonger
1. Suspension tuning - Preference, the GT3T is a little stiffer and the 911R is softer. RS suspension, is a different story
2. Steering - The GT3T is heavier and not as quick, the 911r is lighter and quicker. Again, preference. Some like Ferrari steering, some don't.
3. SMFW vs DMFW - I think we can all agree the 911r wins here.
4. Looks - preference, stupid to argue this. I personally don't like the stripes, especially green ones.
5. Engine - GT3T wins hands down here. It dynos 30-35 more hp and tq across the rev range. The pull and feel of the 991.2 GT3 engine is what truely separates the facelifted model.
6. Exclusivity, resale and uniqueness - 911r wins, no question about it.

If neither car was limited and both depreciated the same, would you pay 40k more for one or the other? I sure as hell wouldn't. It would boil down to the feel of a SMFW or a better engine for most. Everyone wants to justify exclusivity and minute differences in feel. Take away value, exclusivity and rareness, no one will care.

If you got your 911r at msrp, congrats, you got an amazing car. If you got your GT3T at msrp, congrats, you got a great car.
If you paid 400k for your 911r, congrats, you are an idiot.
It was all good...until the last sentence. You must be the most prudent money spender of all time to judge so harshly how others spend their money. Jeepers.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:52 PM
Bobby 911
User

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe View Post
I feel you Brian....it’s a conspiracy. Nice stripes BTW
Lol owned!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:30 AM
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a nice R you got there.....wait, I mean GT3

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman View Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:14 AM
drdonger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU View Post
It was all good...until the last sentence. You must be the most prudent money spender of all time to judge so harshly how others spend their money. Jeepers.
I only judge because it affects the GT car market. While I believe in supply and demand, all these speculators and flippers have made it difficult for true car enthusiasts to enjoy. While it is there money and they can do what they want with it; I think they are idiots for speculating and happy most of them lost money when the GT3T came out. I respect for the 911r drivers that actually drive their cars. The others are just sitting there waiting to be resold. If it had no effect on myself or other car enthusiasts, I wouldnít care what people did with their money. They earned it and they can spend how they choose. When they create a bubble and affect enthusiasts enjoyment, such as myself, then I have a right to think they are idiots.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Porsch
User

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU View Post
never understood why some people get so bent over how others spend THEIR money. i'll take the GT3 touring over the 911R all day but if you spent 400K on an R and you're over the moon about it, good on ya!
Old 05-15-2019, 11:43 AM
CAlexio
Super User

Originally Posted by Bullitt44
That is the "No Lift Shift" program. Try it at lower RPM for mental safety, the car is asking for it........that being said I would love to code it out!
If I'm not mistaken, Unotaz owns both a 911 R and a touring... The R does not have the flat upshift function, only the touring/GT3 manual does. I discovered that the hard way while trying to catch up to some Pdk cars at road Atlanta recently
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, I only have the lowly GT3 and not the "totally different and better" Touring

But yes, the R does not have the flat upshift function.

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Unotaz owns both a 911 R and a touring... The R does not have the flat upshift function, only the touring/GT3 manual does. I discovered that the hard way while trying to catch up to some Pdk cars at road Atlanta recently
Old 05-16-2019, 02:29 AM
WernerE
User

If you enjoy seeing 911R and Touring owners peeing on each other’s car, urine luck here.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 AM
Jrtaylor9
Super User

Hey, I only have the lowly GT3 and not the "totally different and better" Touring

But yes, the R does not have the flat upshift function.
Originally Posted by WernerE View Post
If you enjoy seeing 911R and Touring owners peeing on each otherís car, urine luck here.
Yeah, I think itís interesting that you donít really hear much from the winged crowd on the R/991.2-manual-3 slug fest.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Bobby 911
User

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9 View Post
Yeah, I think itís interesting that you donít really hear much from the winged crowd on the R/991.2-manual-3 slug fest.
it's because despite its name, the gt3 touring is viewed as the successor to the R, whereas the standard winged gt3 (whether pdk or 6mt) is viewed as the successor to the 991.1 gt3. it's pretty clear this is how PAG intended it too since it badged the touring in the same unique way the R was badged.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:01 PM
unotaz
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's really funny to see the reaction from this thread, especially from the Touring owners. The review is between my .2 GT3 (wing) and my 911R. I find most GT3 owners take the review really well while the Touring owners gets all insulted and react harshly. I find it even more amusing that Touring crowd keep on insisting their cars being different than the wing version, despite no information from PAG that says otherwise.

Originally Posted by Bobby 911 View Post
it's because despite its name, the gt3 touring is viewed as the successor to the R, whereas the standard winged gt3 (whether pdk or 6mt) is viewed as the successor to the 991.1 gt3. it's pretty clear this is how PAG intended it too since it badged the touring in the same unique way the R was badged.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 PM
race7117
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's really funny to see the reaction from this thread, especially from the Touring owners. The review is between my .2 GT3 (wing) and my 911R. I find most GT3 owners take the review really well while the Touring owners gets all insulted and react harshly. I find it even more amusing that Touring crowd keep on insisting their cars being different than the wing version, despite no information from PAG that says otherwise.
I really appreciate your review and find myself looking for a 911R all the time. I was a Touring owner and really loved the car and to a certain extent miss it. I tried to make it into an R clone but it isn't an R so I was just happy to have my little touring great car. I think it is diff from the winged GT3 but only while driven in anger and only from an aero perspective. Otherwise very similar especially at road speeds and both are fantastic track day cars but I found I wasn't driving it on the road, only on the track. It was great for the road compared to the RS but not as nice as the R for the road. Sort of a goldilocks car. so going to a new GT3RS made sense for the track, but I find myself continuing to look at the 911R as I would love a drivers car for the road. I had a chance to drive one at road speeds on a short drive and love the car for street but I don't think I would like it on track having driven the Touring and the RS. Again I could be wrong. Not many people have driven both cars and even fewer at track speeds, I certainly haven't so I appreciate all the views out here in Rennlist land I just have take everything in perspective, which is hard to do behind the keyboard. Everyone has different opinions and thats great because Porsche continues to build cars for each one of those opinions.......as long as you are willing to spend the money!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: