Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:19 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Seems to me the Carrera T should be left of the 911R in terms of track proficiency based on standard tires, let alone complete lack of GT department development...but I have no dog in this fight...
But it's less involving on the road. Maybe I could come up with a better label than track proficiency...
Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

missing the touring engine paying 100k to get a lighter flywheel with some R decals

Only a mad would sell the Touring to buy an R , with a modified exhaust the Touring is a unbeatable 9k rpm beast , i can mod my suspension as i like and i give a s**t to single mass flywheel
Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
missing the touring engine paying 100k to get a lighter flywheel with some R decals

Only a mad would sell the Touring to buy an R , with a modified exhaust the Touring is a unbeatable 9k rpm beast , i can mod my suspension as i like and i give a s**t to single mass flywheel
Same, my GT3 Touring has a Antigravity lithium battery -35 lbs and valved side deletes minus -35 lbs ... the majority of the 43 kgs difference in weight is the R base spec no PCM or Air Con ... door pulls, carbon and glass are a big lunch and a couple beers ... Touring is sharper and better pull thru the rpm range ... if less is more for you ... buy retro 911 or a Singer ... the GT3 Touring is the pinnacle of a manual 911 evolution to date ... everything else is personal taste “Andy”
Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

the touring is a great car and i can see why some like it.. but its a tween'er. late decision by PAG to satisfy unhappy customers and stop the R flippers they took off the wing, added some interior bits asked marketing to link it to some history and did not take the time to set up for the road including gluing a gurney flap on because they didn't adjust the front lip many spent crazy amounts of CXX to make it look like an R. But is not an R. you can debate endlessly about specific specs and stats but the real answer comes from driving it and in terms of overall driving experience- for me the R delivers a fantastic driving experience. How much that is worth is a very personal decision somewhat informed by whether you can pay the price of entry and still drive it regularly without regard for future value...that's what my portfolio is for

i didn't like the flipper mania, i am not a collector but have no issues with those that do there are a few on here driving their R because of the experience and the same goes for many Touring owners doing the same. not sure why the judgement on the former. in terms of GOAT, overtime the market will decide....near term its a personal decision. there are many posts on RL about the touring just not working for some, with some preferring the Spyder or other options. there are also a few who keep touring but express dissatisfaction with actually touring. lastly some had R and touring and decided to sell touring keep R you can disagree but that does not discount the decisions by others

992 GT will come and there will likely be a better Touring....the R is unlikely to ever be universally loved....but it does seem to be the inspiration and comp to those than want that experience. i personally would enjoy owning either but you only get one ticket to ride in life so make the most the experience
Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe
in terms of GOAT, overtime the market will decide....near term its a personal decision.
No, it's always a personal decision.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No, it's always a personal decision.
Hah. Somewhat. You can always disagree with the market. But long term the initial buyer’s bias fades, technology of current cars improves while older cars get judged not by specs but by driving experience and judgement becomes less impacted by some of the debates we discuss here.

But hey hey I spin LPs and have tube amps

Bu
Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
If neither car was limited and both depreciated the same, would you pay 40k more for one or the other? I sure as hell wouldn't. It would boil down to the feel of a SMFW or a better engine for most. Everyone wants to justify exclusivity and minute differences in feel. Take away value, exclusivity and rareness, no one will care.
Actually, if neither were limited and both depreciated equally, I'll bet most would pay more for the GT3 Touring. Better engine (and 2-3 years newer) versus SMFW and stickers? That's a no-brainer in favor of the GT3 Touring.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

lastly some had R and touring and decided to sell touring keep R you can disagree but that does not discount the decisions by others
Sure because R values had gone way down by the time the GT3 Touring arrived and it's easier to sell the Touring at a premium that it is to take a bath selling the R.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsch
Sure because R values had gone way down by the time the GT3 Touring arrived and it's easier to sell the Touring at a premium that it is to take a bath selling the R.
like I said Kudos to the Touring that someone felt so threatened they had to create this thread .... to say it takes ownership and weeks of driving to appreciate the differences ... yet then claims the R is far superior by a wide margin is laughable

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 05-18-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Pretty sure both purchased at msrp and also pretty sure he was not optimizing for profit. But I do get that value is a big concern for many here
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Several of these bought an R then bought the Touring to compare were fake to validate their argument ... like I said Kudos to the Touring that someone felt so threatened they had to create this thread
I feel you Brian....it’s a conspiracy. Nice stripes BTW
The following users liked this post:
786 (01-09-2021)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Actually, if neither were limited and both depreciated equally, I'll bet most would pay more for the GT3 Touring. Better engine (and 2-3 years newer) versus SMFW and stickers? That's a no-brainer in favor of the GT3 Touring.
I was just stating they drive differently. With one suited for the road and the other a little more Frankenstein. Not interested in debating what if scenarios although that is what some do here. They are different. Pick the one you like and don’t worry so much about it.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

the touring is a great car and i can see why some like it.. but its a tween'er. late decision by PAG to satisfy unhappy customers and stop the R flippers they took off the wing, added some interior bits asked marketing to link it to some history and did not take the time to set up for the road including gluing a gurney flap on because they didn't adjust the front lip many spent crazy amounts of CXX to make it look like an R. But is not an R. you can debate endlessly about specific specs and stats but the real answer comes from driving it and in terms of overall driving experience- for me the R delivers a fantastic driving experience. How much that is worth is a very personal decision somewhat informed by whether you can pay the price of entry and still drive it regularly without regard for future value...that's what my portfolio is for

i didn't like the flipper mania, i am not a collector but have no issues with those that do there are a few on here driving their R because of the experience and the same goes for many Touring owners doing the same. not sure why the judgement on the former. in terms of GOAT, overtime the market will decide....near term its a personal decision. there are many posts on RL about the touring just not working for some, with some preferring the Spyder or other options. there are also a few who keep touring but express dissatisfaction with actually touring. lastly some had R and touring and decided to sell touring keep R you can disagree but that does not discount the decisions by others

992 GT will come and there will likely be a better Touring....the R is unlikely to ever be universally loved....but it does seem to be the inspiration and comp to those than want that experience. i personally would enjoy owning either but you only get one ticket to ride in life so make the most the experience

Live once ... get the Touring ... R has some nice gimmicks but for a real hard core drivers experience there is nothing like the 991.2 GT3 Touring road or track
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Live once ... get the Touring ... R has some nice gimmicks but for a real hard core drivers experience there is nothing like the 991.2 GT3 Touring road or track
Agree it is a great car. Enjoy it
Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

I feel you Brian....it’s a conspiracy. Nice stripes BTW
I love the R (greatest road car ever) and get pure comedy out of poking the angry bears who posture their cars as superior ... all good fun

Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)