Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Comparing the CGT to the R for value is a laughable assertion. There will never be another CGT. There's already a better "R"
yes, the CGT/R comparison is quite a stretch. there has never been anything close to the CGT. a quick two years after the R came out, Porsche introduced the GT3 Touring with better engine. So completely different scenarios.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM
TylerCoupe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
So basically, the R is a great car when you're limited to putting around on America's ****ty roads and speed limits but when you have the opportunity to open it up on beautifully maintained roads and autobahns with no speed limit the superior motor and aerodynamics of the Touring put it over the top.

Don't get me wrong. I like the carbon shifter on the R, the door pulls vs the handle, and the black trim on the radio instead of the chrome. Matter of fact I like them so much I paid a not insignificant amount of money to Exclusive to have those issues on my car fixed. I also prefer the grille between the rear taillights of the R and couldn't fix that.

However, the biggest thrills I get driving my car are at 250 kmph + ...supposedly the space where the R sucks.

Comparing the CGT to the R for value is a laughable assertion. There will never be another CGT. There's already a better "R"
R has faster top speed....so if you had the stones and a R you could exceed 200mph on autobahn...not possible with GT3 with gurney flap. If you want to go fast in a R. You better be good
Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe
R has faster top speed....so if you had the stones and a R you could exceed 200mph on autobahn...not possible with GT3 with gurney flap. If you want to go fast in a R. You better be good
oh please, no R owner is doing that. Most don’t even take them out of the garage to drive them. Never mind have the stones or skill.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCoupe
Lol. When I lived in Germany I had an E46 M3 as a company car. I tried for over a year to top that car out. In theory it should have had a limiter at 250 kph/ 155 mph. It did not. The car started getting noticeably nervous around 270 kph. By 280 indicated it was a handful. Even so point to point early one morning I covered 150 miles in 58 minutes- completely emptied the tank in the process and came in on fumes. But I never did find enough room to fully max that car out...

Top speed is nice in theory, but in my experience unfortunately even on the autobahn it’s just that- theoretical. Meanwhile in practice downforce and stability matter a lot. Because while you may never fully achieve Vmax in a very fast car even if you try, you can spend literal hours within 10 or 20 mph of that speed. Not something anyone wants to do in a car that has its own ideas about which lane it should be in.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 PM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Not something anyone wants to do in a car that has its own ideas about which lane it should be in.
Truth...^^^

The autobahn is extremely misunderstood. Early morning or early evening, you can get some nice long runs on the unlimited sections. 120mph is easy, leisurely in fact. 130 starts getting your attention because your close rate is a LOT higher. 140 is nerve-wracking because you catch things instantly - and your brakes aren't as strong as you hoped. 150 was my max for about 3 seconds at a time because of the aforementioned issues. But then again all my autobahn runs have been in Mercedes CLS and S rentals. I think a 911 would add some to the numbers above, but your adrenaline rate would rise accordingly. Public roads, silly truck drivers everywhere...
Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 423 Posts

One of the (many) reasons I love the RS. You start feeling the downforce, esp the rear wing) over 150kph then it keeps getting better as you go. Over 250 it's roaring and the thing is rock solid. I got to 300 indicated but it felt like I was dragging a parachute. Never topped out but a great experience and with good conditions (no traffic and not bumpy) you go on for a long time and feel comfortable.

WRT to the R, comparing it to a group of vets including things like the 40th and endurance racing "editions" is absurd. It's a great car and don't see it dropping further short of another financial downturn. The market has absorbed the tourings and determined that they aren't a direct substitute no matter how similar they appear. Suitcase is right, values have started to creep up a bit l, certainly stabilized. There just aren't the cars for sale that there has been for the last 18 months, quality examples seem to be brokered deals. (Also agree with his assessment on the engines...)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

This might help fuel the fire, 911R on track,
What do you do when your incredibly kind and trusting buddy hands you the keys to his 911R and oh.. you happen to be at Road Atlanta and oh... there happen to be a bunch of GT3's, GT3RS's, and GT4's on track?.. well, damnit, you take the keys and YOU.GO.HUNTING! Of particular enjoyment for me, is the sound coming from this full akrapovik exhaust on this acheingly beautiful Sport Class Grey example. Enough has been written about the virtues of a manual transmission, high revving, 911.. but maybe not enough has been said about the 911R. Oh who am i kidding.. everything has already been said about the 911R, this video is just for fun. Our super talented designer (discommon) buddy Neil Ferrier, turned out to be a spot-on in-car commentator, who narrated our few laps around Road Atlanta during Smokies. Please understand this is all in good fun, and please, for the sake of all that is holy.. if one person makes a fookin' "value" comment about an R on track I will ... do something very bad.

Coming down back straight at road atlanta into 10a & 10b a little more stability under braking would have been nice, but the R behaved jest fine.

Ps; I'm not the owner, that man is too kind and too modest to post. but he enjoys using his many toys properly and I don't think I've heard the word "value" ever leave his lips except to comment on how collectors storing cars without using them is a not a good use of the machine's true "value".

Last edited by CAlexio; 05-06-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Reeling in those RS's at about 5000 rpm's. Looked like they caught a parade...
Old 05-06-2019, 03:00 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This might help fuel the fire, 911R on track,
What do you do when your incredibly kind and trusting buddy hands you the keys to his 911R and oh.. you happen to be at Road Atlanta and oh... there happen to be a bunch of GT3's, GT3RS's, and GT4's on track?.. well, damnit, you take the keys and YOU.GO.HUNTING! Of particular enjoyment for me, is the sound coming from this full akrapovik exhaust on this acheingly beautiful Sport Class Grey example. Enough has been written about the virtues of a manual transmission, high revving, 911.. but maybe not enough has been said about the 911R. Oh who am i kidding.. everything has already been said about the 911R, this video is just for fun. Our super talented designer (discommon) buddy Neil Ferrier, turned out to be a spot-on in-car commentator, who narrated our few laps around Road Atlanta during Smokies. Please understand this is all in good fun, and please, for the sake of all that is holy.. if one person makes a fookin' "value" comment about an R on track I will ... do something very bad.

https://youtu.be/6KYTO7IS_sk

Coming down back straight at road atlanta into 10a & 10b a little more stability under braking would have been nice, but the R behaved jest fine.
Nice vid, but this one might be better Just a lowly GT3 Touring. GoPro was outside, so no funny commentator. Anyways, my wife (passenger) was relatively quiet most of the time and closed her eyes through a couple of corners
Same day, same track. Probably faster lap times than the 911R...
Great event Smokies GT put together. Had a blast.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:34 AM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Reeling in those RS's at about 5000 rpm's. Looked like they caught a parade...
That's cause he's driving in the green group which was essentially a parade group until that last session when they allowed passing. There were some people in that group that literally had never been on a track before. Not saying the driving was good (it wasn't) or that there weren't some real real slow gt owners (there were) but that's to be expected in that group. If the 911r guys wanted to actually drive instead of bitch and moan at the kids table they should have put on their big boy pants and joined the blue or red groups.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Talking

Originally Posted by ajw45
That's cause he's driving in the green group which was essentially a parade group until that last session when they allowed passing. There were some people in that group that literally had never been on a track before. Not saying the driving was good (it wasn't) or that there weren't some real real slow gt owners (there were) but that's to be expected in that group. If the 911r guys wanted to actually drive instead of bitch and moan at the kids table they should have put on their big boy pants and joined the blue or red groups.
if you paid attention to my post above or even checked the title, you'd realize the entire video in the 911R was for comedic effect... (we took the RS & the 918 out in red group when it was time to get serious). you try keeping a straight face when a man with a funny scottish accent is narrating your drive.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

if you paid attention to my post above or even checked the title, you'd realize the entire video in the 911R was for comedic effect... (we took the RS & the 918 out in red group when it was time to get serious). you try keeping a straight face when a man with a funny scottish accent is narrating your drive.
Oh, I thought the whole thing was perfect! Glad it was posted...
Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Oh, I thought the whole thing was perfect! Glad it was posted...
thanks, that's encouraging. some people miss the forest for the trees. sheesh.

i'm editing our 918 vs CGT on the Dragon video.. maybe that will be "serious enough" for the hardcore Rennlister commentariat.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3
Same day, same track. Probably faster lap times than the 911R...
Great event Smokies GT put together. Had a blast.
Great video. Looks like a blast...
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

i'm editing our 918 vs CGT on the Dragon video..
Can't wait for that one. Should be amazing. Were you able to miss the showers on Sat?

Quick Reply: Owner's Review: 911R vs. 991.2 GT3 (Manual)