Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Weird: Windshield fluid issue (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1133822-weird-windshield-fluid-issue.html)

Laertes 03-15-2019 01:07 PM

Weird: Windshield fluid issue

So I used my windshield washer for the first time the other day on my '19 3RS, and though it cleaned the part of the windshield covered by the wipers nicely, it left greasy spots all over the rest of the windshield, the roof, and the rear window. WTF? I took a microfiber towel to it briefly to see if it would wipe off, but it just smeared and left a greasy smudge. This is the factory fill of wiper fluid. Has anybody else had any issues, and what the heck is Porsche thinking? Now I have to wash my whole car and figure out how to drain the fluid in the reservoir so I can replace it.

GrantG 03-15-2019 01:24 PM

The worst is when you accidentally hit the headlight washers - this makes a mess all over the front of the car :icon501:

neanicu 03-15-2019 01:44 PM

What do you think methanol and ethylene glycol will look like? Also Porsche uses concentrated windshield washer fluid,if it's not mixed 50/50 with water it might leave even more residue.

Laertes 03-15-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by neanicu (Post 15705874)
What do you think methanol and ethylene glycol will look like? Also Porsche uses concentrated windshield washer fluid,if it's not mixed 50/50 with water it might leave even more residue.

Believe it or not, this is not my first car. I've never had any windshield washer fluid leave any residue like this before. This is not normal.

neanicu 03-15-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laertes
Believe it or not, this is not my first car. I've never had any windshield washer fluid leave any residue like this before. This is not normal.

Just open the cap and take a whiff : it wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone putting antifreeze in there instead of windshield washer fluid...

Laertes 03-15-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by neanicu (Post 15706036)
Just open the cap and take a whiff : it wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone putting antifreeze in there instead of windshield washer fluid...

Ah. Now I understand. Thanks.

neanicu 03-15-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laertes
Ah. Now I understand. Thanks.

No worries. Could be that or highly concentrated windshield washer fluid. Just dilute it with some water. I don't think there's any worry about it freezing this time of year...depending on your location of course. Mine leaves a bunch of residue also.

evilfij 03-15-2019 03:06 PM

It’s the washer fluid. Basically it’s soap and antifreeze from what I can tell. What’s weird is it smells like it does not have alcohol. I think it is Porsche stuff because mine has it too. Car looks like it got hit with the soap spray in a car wash but did not go through the rinse. There are streaks all up the roof and everything. ;)