Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   New Ceramic Coating from XPEL (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1133692-new-ceramic-coating-from-xpel.html)

XPEL 03-14-2019 03:52 PM

New Ceramic Coating from XPEL

XPEL FUSION PLUS Ceramic Coating is a nano ceramic clear liquid coating that can be applied to paint, glass, vinyl and paint protection films, which provides a fortified layer of vehicle protection. Bonding at a molecular level, the ceramic coating seals and protects vehicle surfaces from environmental contaminants, including pollutants, tree sap and insect acids. XPEL FUSION PLUS shields against harmful UV rays and corrosion. In fact, it helps to reduce the amount of oxidation, which can result in dull, fading paint.

Using a hydrophobic formula, XPEL FUSION PLUS boasts self-cleaning properties to repel water, dirt and grime. It is scratch-resistant and helps protect against swirl marks and minor wash scratches to maintain a sleek, high-gloss finish.

Product Features:

● Protection from UV rays and oxidation
● Hydrophobic Properties
● 4 Year Warranty
● Fine scratch and swirl resistance
● Stain resistant
● Self-cleaning

FUSION PLUS ceramic coating is available now through the XPEL installer network. FUSION PLUS carries a comprehensive warranty package for four (4) years from the date of application, upon registration and when maintained in accordance with warranty terms and conditions.

XPEL FUSION PLUS ceramic coating does not protect against rock chips. This product is intended to be professionally applied and is compatible with vehicle paint or XPEL paint protection film, as well as vinyl wraps and graphics.

To learn more about XPEL FUSION PLUS, please visit: http://bit.ly/XPELCeramicCoating
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f9b5e8e511.jpg

thebishman 03-14-2019 09:44 PM

Is this just appropriate for Xpel Ultimate, or also Stealth?

CRex 03-15-2019 04:53 AM

It's a curious idea, coating on top of PPF. Isn't the whole premise of PPF its disposable/replaceable nature--if film ages/gets scratched just replace affected panel?

I'm not writing this as a detractor. Have had numerous XPEL installations on various RSes and even a Macan over the past decade, most recent installation being a 991.2 RS WP last month. Happy customer overall, just not getting this idea of buying a plastic bag to protect the bag that carries my groceries...

sgroer 03-15-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by CRex (Post 15705064)
It's a curious idea, coating on top of PPF. Isn't the whole premise of PPF its disposable/replaceable nature--if film ages/gets scratched just replace affected panel?

I'm not writing this as a detractor. Have had numerous XPEL installations on various RSes and even a Macan over the past decade, most recent installation being a 991.2 RS WP last month. Happy customer overall, just not getting this idea of buying a plastic bag to protect the bag that carries my groceries...

Very common to coat PPF... the hydrophobic properties make cleaning much easier. In the case of putting it on PPF, I'm not sure the protection aspects matter that much.

sattman 03-15-2019 12:05 PM

Also curious if this will work on Stealth. I have car that was done three years ago and there are no hydrophobic properties left in the Xpel stealth.

Porsch 03-15-2019 12:35 PM

i have never ceramic coated but have considered it. may do it on one of my incoming cars. my detailer recently advised me to ceramic coat both before and after PPF. that seemed like overkill to me but maybe you guys see it differently? he said ceramic coat before PPF helps when you take the PPF off or something.

XPEL 03-15-2019 12:38 PM

Yes

Originally Posted by thebishman (Post 15704553)
Is this just appropriate for Xpel Ultimate, or also Stealth?

This is an excellent question and yes, it is 100% okay to use on STEALTH. It won't add gloss but will had hydrophobic properties and make it even more slick. Forgive me for posting a non P-Car on this forum but the 4Runner TRD PRO below is wrapped in STEALTH and coated with FUSION PLUS ceramic coating. You can see from the image that the STEALTH finish is maintained.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...dd5483547a.jpg

Originally Posted by CRex (Post 15705064)

As sgroer said below, it gives you the best of both worlds. Ceramic Coatings do not stop rock chips but they're extremely easy to clean and very hydrophobic. Because of this, it's very common to get PPF installed then ceramic coating on top of the PPF and the remaining parts of the car that aren't wrapped in clear bra.

Originally Posted by sgroer (Post 15705154)
Very common to coat PPF... the hydrophobic properties make cleaning much easier. In the case of putting it on PPF, I'm not sure the protection aspects matter that much.

Originally Posted by sattman (Post 15705608)
Also curious if this will work on Stealth. I have car that was done three years ago and there are no hydrophobic properties left in the Xpel stealth.

Yes, FUSION PLUS is safe to use on STEALTH and works great.

erik_plus8 03-15-2019 01:43 PM

How often does it have to be applied, once a year? Not a DIY, as I understand it?

thebishman 03-15-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Porsch (Post 15705694)
i have never ceramic coated but have considered it. may do it on one of my incoming cars. my detailer recently advised me to ceramic coat both before and after PPF. that seemed like overkill to me but maybe you guys see it differently? he said ceramic coat before PPF helps when you take the PPF off or something.

Paint correction if necessary prior to PPF and then Ceramic coating is the way to do it IMHO. If you ceramic coat prior to PPF installion wont the alcohol solution used to prepare the paint for the install ruin the initial ceramic coating?

parkerfe 03-15-2019 02:31 PM

I've been using Klasse All-In-One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze for decades on my bikes, boats and cars and have been well pleased. It looks great,is way less expensive than "ceramic coatings" and last a very long time.

sgroer 03-15-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Porsch (Post 15705694)

it it also helps the ppf not stick to the paint at all. :icon501: my PPF guy wont even work on a car that’s been coated.

XPEL 03-15-2019 05:21 PM

Once

Originally Posted by erik_plus8 (Post 15705871)
How often does it have to be applied, once a year? Not a DIY, as I understand it?

Erik,

It's applied one time. As long as you wash and maintain the coating, it will last the full 4 year warranty term. This is not a DIY product and needs to be applied by a certified technician. You can use a Ceramic Boost Spray while the coating is on your car to help maintain it and add a little bit of slickness to the finish as well.

Shuga 10-17-2021 08:05 PM

Anyone have this done?

3-Pedals 10-17-2021 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shuga (Post 17730817)
Anyone have this done?

I have. I’d rather not say anything else.

shahrukh_bakar 10-18-2021 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 17730966)
I have. I’d rather not say anything else.

Is it worth doing for the shine alone?