How many heat cycles are "safe"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I had assumed it was a linear relationship .. my bad

According to this chart I should have replaced my tires last year, 100% need to lift my budget
Old 03-14-2019, 10:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,135 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Some people are using real slicks which are not made in 20’s
Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Beat me to it! This is the correct answer!

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 03-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

That chart is from 2005. We need an update that has a second color dotted line on there
- what wife is aware of -
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts

I know this is a little off topic but I saw a set of cup 2s on the rear on an AMG coupe convertible yesterday at Sonoma that were worn past the 2 deep tread grooves after just 4 sessions. They started the day with just some normal street wear according to the car owner and the fronts would somewhat attest to that. He knew he was running too much air in them (adding to the fact it's a heavy 550hp front engine car.) I guess this would come under "too much heat" cycles.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,097 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
I know this is a little off topic but I saw a set of cup 2s on the rear on an AMG coupe convertible yesterday at Sonoma that were worn past the 2 deep tread grooves after just 4 sessions. They started the day with just some normal street wear according to the car owner and the fronts would somewhat attest to that. He knew he was running too much air in them (adding to the fact it's a heavy 550hp front engine car.) I guess this would come under "too much heat" cycles.
Yeah, you gotta watch your hot pressures and keep them at a moderate level. Also, a good cool down lap is important for both tires and the engine/tranny/brakes.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,225 Likes on 480 Posts

to the OP, it really depends on a variety of factors. When I first started to track my cars I could get an entire summer out of a set of tires. However, as the years went by I got better and started to explore the limits of my cars, the number of days I could get out of a set started to decline dramatically--now I am lucky to get a weekend or at most 2 weekends out of a set. The other thing that plays a major factor is the track characteristics. Some tracks destroy tires, others don't. Also whether a track has numerous primarily right sweeps/left sweepers will also determine longevity. So your speed, the track play the biggest factors.

Without a doubt if you are traveling to tracks that are not close to home, pick up an extra set of wheels. For example, just this weekend I corded a rear at NCM, thankfully I was able to swap it out with a spare wheel I dragged along- otherwise my weekend would have ended quite early! Also, as others have said tire pressures are so critical, not only for ideal grip but for squeezing out some extra life from the tires.

Enjoy! Its a fun hobby, but man it gets expensive fast as you get quicker. get ready for tire bills, brake pads, ect ect....surprised my wife hasn't left me yet.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by disden
to the OP, it really depends on a variety of factors. When I first started to track my cars I could get an entire summer out of a set of tires. However, as the years went by I got better and started to explore the limits of my cars, the number of days I could get out of a set started to decline dramatically--now I am lucky to get a weekend or at most 2 weekends out of a set. The other thing that plays a major factor is the track characteristics. Some tracks destroy tires, others don't. Also whether a track has numerous primarily right sweeps/left sweepers will also determine longevity. So your speed, the track play the biggest factors.

Without a doubt if you are traveling to tracks that are not close to home, pick up an extra set of wheels. For example, just this weekend I corded a rear at NCM, thankfully I was able to swap it out with a spare wheel I dragged along- otherwise my weekend would have ended quite early! Also, as others have said tire pressures are so critical, not only for ideal grip but for squeezing out some extra life from the tires.

Enjoy! Its a fun hobby, but man it gets expensive fast as you get quicker. get ready for tire bills, brake pads, ect ect....surprised my wife hasn't left me yet.
The general sentiment is to plan to spend more money as I get better.. lol what am I getting myself into!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
The general sentiment is to plan to spend more money as I get better.. lol what am I getting myself into!
The key is to NOT keep track of money spent. Burn the receipts and keep looking ahead, on to the next "absolute necessity". LOL!
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by Palting
The key is to NOT keep track of money spent. Burn the receipts and keep looking ahead, on to the next "absolute necessity". LOL!
Lol, haven't done a single track mile this year and my estimated budget is already blown. So once you overrun the budget you may as well keep going.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lol, haven't done a single track mile this year and my estimated budget is already blown. So once you overrun the budget you may as well keep going.
Living the american dream
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Living the american dream
Actually I'm doing one better. There are a bunch of 0% APR Credit Card offers out there for 18 months. So I'm going to enjoy using free money for my track days (for 18 months).

DISCLAIMER: I don't recommend you run up CC debt - I'm simply doing it for fun because, where else in the world would a bank give you 0% APR for 18 months to spend on track days.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

Actually I'm doing one better. There are a bunch of 0% APR Credit Card offers out there for 18 months. So I'm going to enjoy using free money for my track days (for 18 months).
Thank you Congressman. The government uses a similar concept for the national debt.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 PM
iphilips
Racer

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Thank you Congressman. The government uses a similar concept for the national debt.
Not sure if being called a Congressman is a compliment or an insult these days. But, I'd be happy to take more 0% money 😀
Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Drain The Tire Rack

Quick Reply: How many heat cycles are "safe"