Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT3 RS Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1132983-gt3-rs-carbon-fiber-steering-wheel.html)

spyder fan 03-10-2019 12:57 AM

GT3 RS Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel

Any word as to when the Weissach Pkg Carbon Fiber steering wheel or parts will be available?

Golden Boy 03-10-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by spyder fan (Post 15692934)
Any word as to when the Weissach Pkg Carbon Fiber steering wheel or parts will be available?

took delivery last week and nothing. May just purchase my own and install to get it over with

hashash 03-10-2019 06:14 PM

I am starting to think they may not send us the part as i was told that they are facing legal and safety issues in Germany over the compatibilty of carbon fiber and air bags.
There is concern of the carbon fiber shattering and injuring the driver in the event of air bag deployment.
This info was passed to me by a sales rep from Germany visiting our dealer.

pitt911 03-10-2019 06:22 PM

nothing here
was wondering if we will ever get it, or may be send some kind of a refund

Joemat 03-10-2019 06:31 PM

No Titanium Roll cage, No CF Steering Wheel, same great ($18,000) price. Just saw a local BMW M4 GTS with factory installed roll cage. Knowing that was available in the US is frustrating.

Augdog1964 03-15-2019 11:53 PM

Any updates here?

obbob 03-16-2019 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by hashash (Post 15694153)
I am starting to think they may not send us the part as i was told that they are facing legal and safety issues in Germany over the compatibilty of carbon fiber and air bags.
There is concern of the carbon fiber shattering and injuring the driver in the event of air bag deployment.
This info was passed to me by a sales rep from Germany visiting our dealer.

Not doubting you, it sounds like unfounded theories to me. It’s not like Porsche are the only one making carbon fiber trimmed steering wheels. Ferrari and McLaren seem to have no problem selling their cars in Germany. Also even if it was true in Germany, that wouldn’t affect cars exported to America.

My guess is it’s a supply issue, just like almost any other issue. Whoever was supposed to make the carbon fiber trim is not making it for whatever reason. Could be contract breach, quality issues, or simply went bankrupt. Who knows.

hashash 03-16-2019 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by obbob (Post 15707410)

Not doubting you, it sounds like unfounded theories to me. It’s not like Porsche are the only one making carbon fiber trimmed steering wheels. Ferrari and McLaren seem to have no problem selling their cars in Germany. Also even if it was true in Germany, that wouldn’t affect cars exported to America.

My guess is it’s a supply issue, just like almost any other issue. Whoever was supposed to make the carbon fiber trim is not making it for whatever reason. Could be contract breach, quality issues, or simply went bankrupt. Who knows.

yes i agree . But not a single car was delivered with a CF wheel ! Isnt this strange - i would rule out supplier issues .
The german guy seemed very confident , maybe he was not accurate , who knows .
​​​​​​​We will know soon anyways.

GreenLantern 03-17-2019 01:10 AM

Still waiting for two of these. :( (For my GT3 RS and GT2 RS.)

Also still waiting for my naked CF hood for the GT3 RS. :(

kwitt 03-17-2019 05:36 PM

I took delivery, PEC Atlanta on Friday. Fantastic experience, will do it again!

No Titanium Cage, Carbon Steering Wheel, or Exposed Hood for me. No chance to order Magnesium Wheels. Porsche markets the car in a way that you cannot purchase it (ie..Cage, Magn Wheels for most, and Exposed Hood for some).

Z06 03-17-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kwitt (Post 15710260)
I took delivery, PEC Atlanta on Friday. Fantastic experience, will do it again!

No Titanium Cage, Carbon Steering Wheel, or Exposed Hood for me. No chance to order Magnesium Wheels. Porsche markets the car in a way that you cannot purchase it (ie..Cage, Magn Wheels for most, and Exposed Hood for some).

My suppose to be a May build, 3RS, just went into V300 status. It was accepted with the full Weissach package and Magnesium wheels.
Will definitely be pissed if it comes with nothing that was ordered.

JCBH 03-17-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z06
My suppose to be a May build, 3RS, just went into V300 status. It was accepted with the full Weissach package and Magnesium wheels.
Will definitely be pissed if it comes with nothing that was ordered.

I was at the factory on Thursday and there were GT3RS being produced with magnesium wheels fitted on the line...anecdotal but a good sign.

Z06 03-17-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by JCBH (Post 15710520)
I was at the factory on Thursday and there were GT3RS being produced with magnesium wheels fitted on the line...anecdotal but a good sign.

Thats great news, from what I an understood, my car was just finished sometime
last week.

rshanholtz 03-17-2019 11:06 PM

JCBH - while at the factory, did you see and/or ask about the Particulate Filters for the RSs? If yes, any feedback regarding if it is EU only or includes WoW? Thx in advance for any data you gathered.

Z06 03-17-2019 11:13 PM

Did it happen to be a GT Silver car :) .. you never know.