Sponsored by:

Goodwood 2019

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Goodwood 2019

Just got my tickets. I am really looking forward to it. It is a little bittersweet. It was going to be a family trip with wife and daughter. We just found out my wife is pregnant (one of the reasons I did not take the RS on that other tread...) and because of previous problems with pregnancy she wont go. But will take my dad! Should be a cool family trip anyways.

I really don't know what to expect besides the fact it will be great. Happy to hear any suggestions, recommendations from some seasoned attendees.

Name:  photo777.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  2.14 MB
Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Just got my tickets. I am really looking forward to it. It is a little bittersweet. It was going to be a family trip with wife and daughter. We just found out my wife is pregnant (one of the reasons I did not take the RS on that other tread...) and because of previous problems with pregnancy she wont go. But will take my dad! Should be a cool family trip anyways.

I really don't know what to expect besides the fact it will be great. Happy to hear any suggestions, recommendations from some seasoned attendees.

Attachment 1301398

Goodwood is so cool.

I've only then there once but I'd suggest to try do all the things that require standing in a line waiting for your turn on Thursday and Friday.
My experience is that it is really crowded during the weekend.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I have been to Goodwood 5 times. Here are some tips.

I assume you will be travelling by car as there is pretty much no other way of getting there. If so, make sure you get there early, and by early I mean 7:30-8am at the latest if you do not want to spend 1-2hrs in traffic jams getting into the place. If you are not staying local, and travelling from London, or thereabouts, you will have to allow 2-3 hrs to get there because traffic can be awful. Two years ago, after a pretty torrid night eating and drinking, I made the mistake of sleeping in a bit and left our accommodation (only 12miles away) at 8:30am and we ended up turning around and going back and trying again at mid-day after the traffic had eased.

Weather can be unpredictable. If its wet, make sure you take shoes that allow you to walk through mud and slush without any concerns because there will be a lot of it. The organiser does a great job of laying our steel walk ways but the ground around them still gets very churned up...as you would expect when you get 100,000+ people in one place. If it's wet, you can always take cover in the grandstand but I notice that you only have grandstand tickets for the Sunday so for the other days, take a rain coat because there is no other protection from the elements.

IMO, you won't need the four days, but definitely 2 days to see everything. For me, the best days are Friday and Saturday. A little bit quieter and you still see everything.

It is pretty much the same program everyday...or more accurately, every half day. i.e. the morning program is repeated in the afternoon, so if you miss a a particular group of cars in the morning because if you are moseying about looking at other stuff, you can always see them in the afternoon or the next day.

The best spots for watching the cars are the start line grandstand, the grandstand opposite the main house (where everybody does burnouts and donuts), and grandstand at Molecomb (where most of the crashes happen). Also, make sure you wander over to the Supercar paddock and take some time to stroll down all the rows of cars in the Pits.

I also think it is worthwhile to take the long walk up the hill to the finish line to see the cars at the top of the hill and to take a look at the forest rally stage which is overlooked by most of the fans.

Expect to walk... a lot! It's the only way you will see everything. The area that FoS covers is gigantic. Without fail, everyday I have been there, I have logged up at least 5-7kms per day. Just walking from your car park will probably be at least 1km.

Other than that, enjoy! FoS is the greatest car event in the world!
The following users liked this post:
pdxjim (07-07-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

One more thing: save the gps position of your parked car. (Don't ask why )
Old 03-10-2019, 12:05 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks guys. That is very helpful. I have not had a chance to sit down and plan the trip yet. I know I am staying only a few miles away but had no clue how I would get there. Now I know I will use the rental for that too...

when calling in they suggested one day for grandstand would be enough so I got for the 3 of us on Sunday. Should I get for other days as well?

thanks again!
Old 03-10-2019, 12:35 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I concur best car show in the world, and good wood revival in September is #2. But when it rains it gets comical. One year parked cars were plowing mud ditches trying to leaving the car park... some cars were sliding backwards into other cars.. demolition derby style. Brits took it in stride. I hope it doesn't rain for you.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:26 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I concur best car show in the world, and good wood revival in September is #2. But when it rains it gets comical. One year parked cars were plowing mud ditches trying to leaving the car park... some cars were sliding backwards into other cars.. demolition derby style. Brits took it in stride. I hope it doesn't rain for you.
.Good point. If it rains alot, leave before the crowd to avoid the potential chaos getting out of the car park. And yes, do take a GPS coordinate of where you parked your car.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aalencar
Thanks guys. That is very helpful. I have not had a chance to sit down and plan the trip yet. I know I am staying only a few miles away but had no clue how I would get there. Now I know I will use the rental for that too...

when calling in they suggested one day for grandstand would be enough so I got for the 3 of us on Sunday. Should I get for other days as well?

thanks again!
I would get at least one more day. Its great to have access to the stands to be able to sit down and relax, especially it is wet or, alternatively, hot. I have been there when it is 30C and the only widely accessible shade are the grandstands.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:18 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

i will be Friday Morning till Sunday Evening at Goodwood

Thursday night via plane from Salzburg to Gatwick
Monday morning back from Gatwick to Salzburg

last and first night at a hotel near the airport.

thats our package:

just got it that our Thrusday tickets have no use for us..

three full days of craziness. Whould be a blast if more RL will post here / are on the spot!
Each one i would like to send my mobile number to get in touch during the weekend.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:41 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going on the Friday. Will PM you my number.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

New 911 RSR debuts Friday
Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Too bad we’re not going this year, but I will follow this thread closely!
Someone crawl all over-in-under the RSR and GT4 and find out about PDK avail.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

AP tidbits from a chat with him today at FoS. RS.3 has exact same Speedster engine. Rated to Slightly more power due to better airflow going in.

There is a plenum over the ITBs with its own inlet throttle (for regulations apparently), which is held open except for if something goes wrong.

Sound of .3 RS is slightly more restrained due to PF. Said it should suit people of our age lol .

He considers GT4 4.0 a new engine as so much is changed from the 3.0. I suggested they should put it in the next Carrera at and he smiled and said no comment . It felt like a pretty serious hint to me, which is great news.

GT dept will get a dotted line report to new MR 911 (FW) but will also continue to sit under motorsport.

He was a very nice chap who seemed to have a lot of time for everyone. Very good to meet him. Cornered him after he'd hillclimbed the Speedster.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gravs
AP tidbits from a chat with him today at FoS. RS.3 has exact same Speedster engine. Rated to Slightly more power due to better airflow going in.

There is a plenum over the ITBs with its own inlet throttle (for regulations apparently), which is held open except for if something goes wrong.

Sound of .3 RS is slightly more restrained due to PF. Said it should suit people of our age lol .

He considers GT4 4.0 a new engine as so much is changed from the 3.0. I suggested they should put it in the next Carrera at and he smiled and said no comment . It felt like a pretty serious hint to me, which is great news.

GT dept will get a dotted line report to new MR 911 (FW) but will also continue to sit under motorsport.

He was a very nice chap who seemed to have a lot of time for everyone. Very good to meet him. Cornered him after he'd hillclimbed the Speedster.
P.S. I said the only thing I would improve about my 981 Spyder was steering feel and he agreed and said try the new one.

Also shout out to Jo_ker who I met up with. Great to meet him and his buddies who are doing FoS properly over 3 days unlike me who was in and out.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
P.S. I said the only thing I would improve about my 981 Spyder was steering feel and he agreed and said try the new one.

Also shout out to Jo_ker who I met up with. Great to meet him and his buddies who are doing FoS properly over 3 days unlike me who was in and out.
Great info from you Gravs..Unfortunately i was unable to attend GFOS due to unavoidable work commitments however i must make an effort next year..As you know i'm getting a new RS and also currently have a 981 Spyder..I rate the Spyder as one of Porsche's finest modern creations and for that reason i'm considering getting a 718 next Spring..It'll go perfectly with my RS but i've delayed my 718 Spyder until Spring 2020 to avoid spoiling my RS honeymoon period..
Interesting comment from AP regarding the last batch RS being more muted due to the GPF..Did he happen to mention whether there were any noticeable improvements in throttle response or other driving changes,?

Quick Reply: Goodwood 2019