Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Seats in my Touring... Yes, it is doable.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:14 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

For those who want no wing plus back seats, they make this car called a Carrera. Great cars, they can really do it all. Now it is true that they don’t have a GT3 badge on the back, but that is a simpler mod than adding seats.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
For those who want no wing plus back seats, they make this car called a Carrera. Great cars, they can really do it all. Now it is true that they don’t have a GT3 badge on the back, but that is a simpler mod than adding seats.
Bobby,
I want to force myself to be respectful. Thank you for making an obvious and helpful post.

Some people, such as myself, enjoy naturally aspirated performance cars that don’t sound like a vacuum, Rev high and go like stink.

I also dont don’t see the sense in losing the back seats for only a slight weight savings.

My two boys fight over who can drive with me and I welcome the opportunity to have them both with me if it can be done in a safe manner.

There isn’t a single 4 seat sports car on the market that draws my attention except this and the Lusso. The Lusso is out for me because I can’t justify that price for an ugly hatchback.

Have a good day.
The following 6 users liked this post by BrntRubber:
FirstPorscheGT3 (10-29-2023), flasch (02-25-2021), matthewlesko (12-04-2020), NJ-991.2-4S (12-03-2023), Tuner1 (02-29-2020), westcoastj (02-18-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

A lot of people were basically mad that when the Touring was announced it had no rear seats.This mod will address that, giving the Touring an USP to silence the crowd which ridicules the lack of wing and cage.As its TUV approved it will be extremely well engineered and make the car much more useable for a family guy..My GT3 has a wing and cage which suits me as both my kids are now too big to fit comfortably in the back of any 911.
I foresee this mod becoming extremely popular with Tourings as long as the car has either the folding buckets or comfort seats.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:31 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

Bobby,
I want to force myself to be respectful. Thank you for making an obvious and helpful post.

Some people, such as myself, enjoy naturally aspirated performance cars that don’t sound like a vacuum, Rev high and go like stink.

I also dont don’t see the sense in losing the back seats for only a slight weight savings.

My two boys fight over who can drive with me and I welcome the opportunity to have them both with me if it can be done in a safe manner.

There isn’t a single 4 seat sports car on the market that draws my attention except this and the Lusso. The Lusso is out for me because I can’t justify that price for an ugly hatchback.

Have a good day.
Enjoy your car man, and looks like you did all the necessary homework to make it happen. Nice story about your boys going for a drive with their dad, not sure why so many on this board like to suggest what others should buy with their money.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:08 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

The Lusso is out for me because I can’t justify that price for an ugly hatchback.
She thinks it's beautiful!! 😀
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
racebannon (08-29-2021)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:20 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I sold a '67 Vette for a Carrera T because I couldn't take my 7 year old and wife out in my GT3. If the GT3 had back seats, then I could have kept the Vette too. If ones is looking to take their kids in the car, could one just add the seat belts to hold the child seat in place, then get a child seat that has built-in 5 point harness?
Old 03-10-2019, 03:15 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
ANYTHING IS DOABLE.
you can add child seat in the trunk too. and no, I am not joking, I had that... and CHP was not amused at all

but let say you added that
and god forbid you have an accident, you may not have ins coverage, especially if the accident is major or fatal. lots of finger pointing.... (this is USA , ROW may differ)
If you live in Germany and it's TÜV approved it won't give any problem. Most countries have some sort of laws and engineering companies that approve these type of things tho, so it might not be that impossible. Whoever approved the saleen s7 might be able to approve this.*
Old 03-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

By latch connectors I believe you mean Isofix, for child seat connection. This is fitted as part of there work.
Oh that's good news, the first person who did the mod reported they would/could not do the welding required for Isofix. It would be a world first to see that part also done--please share pictures! Ideally of them doing the welding, you would be internet famous around here if you could help show other shops that someone actually did it.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:31 PM
goldberg
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Respectfully- a GT3 Touring is a far cry from a Carrera.

Excellent info OP.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by goldberg
Respectfully- a GT3 Touring is a far cry from a Carrera.

Excellent info OP.
So true. At the PSDS you drive TTS, GTS and GT3/GT3 RS back to back. All awesome, but the GT is king on the track and more intense on the road. From the moment you start until you stop. If this rear seat solution comes to fruition, I'll abandon the open air feel from the cab.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Also keep in mind that every generation Porsche relents and makes the GTX cars more "GT" and less race car, so do not be surprised at all to see the proper back seat as an option in the 992. From 991.1 to 991.2 there wasn't much hope--the frame itself was well fixed at that point. Continuing the "let's remove the wing" then "let's add a manual" we're only one step away from having back seats.

For myself I want to see the 992 confirmed to have or not have a rear seat option before considering doing this on a GT3 (if I were to get one).
Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Also keep in mind that every generation Porsche relents and makes the GTX cars more "GT" and less race car, so do not be surprised at all to see the proper back seat as an option in the 992. From 991.1 to 991.2 there wasn't much hope--the frame itself was well fixed at that point. Continuing the "let's remove the wing" then "let's add a manual" we're only one step away from having back seats.
Yup
Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine

For myself I want to see the 992 confirmed to have or not have a rear seat option before considering doing this on a GT3 (if I were to get one).
I imagine the 992 GT3 is a couple years away at least and getting confirmation of a rear seat option will only be available when builds start.

with the 991 Touring I kept my eyes peeled for a rear seat option and it only became apparent it wasn’t available when the configurator opened.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

just remember that if you alter the seat config. in the USA....and someone in the grafted-on rear seat is severely injured in a crash, you may be criminally negligent. It may not matter if (in reality) the mods had nothing to do with it. The prosecutor is the only variable and holds a lot of power over you. Be warned.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

With everyone saying insurance what cover you if in a bad wreck, what happens when a stretched limo is? Those were modded aftermarket with extra seats installed. I don't care to do this mod but if done correctly I can't see it being a issue with safety or liability.

Quick Reply: Rear Seats in my Touring... Yes, it is doable.