Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Seats in my Touring... Yes, it is doable.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
We've been over this before. The 997 still had body welded locations for the seats/LATCH. The 991 GT3 they were removed.

No one will be criminally charged for messing with this stuff. It's just a "get out of paying" card for insurance companies if there was an injury in the back seat for a car listed as not having back seats.
Got it, but loads of these and other cars have bits hanging on them that are not approved or tested from the factory, beginning with wheels. Do you believe insurance companies have a "get out of paying" card for any vehicle with any modifications from the factory? Seriously asking. I don't know the answer. Seems to me that if we conclude back seat mods void your insurance coverage, so would modifications to front seats, wheels, suspension, brakes, ECUs, steering wheels, window tint and whatever else would as well.

We didn't do LATCH on the 997 above, but otherwise, sounds like we are saying the same things. We did have to weld in the bit that holds the seat back vertical. I didn't ever put a baby seat back there, just a booster and seat belts with the regular factory seats as shown. I didn't know the LATCH anchors were welded. Thought those were bolted. My mistake. Carry on.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:39 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 590 Posts

Conversion looks nicely done, and would be highly desirable to me in a GT3 Touring, and possibly some other Motorsport 991s for that matter.
https://elfermotors.de/porsche-991-g...sitztbank.html

Would like to know more about some of the particulars re: what has to be welded/drilled/etc as well as the approvals. In the past, I've understood that the sheetmetal under where the seats go has been lightened (thinner) and that TUV or other certifications require the tires to be up to X speed with four passengers...and counts the weight of adult passengers rather than kids back there, which then changes the tire loads at speed, etc. Can any of our friends on the other side shed some light on this? And on whether TUV stations are like they used to be in the old days, where one might sign off on something that another wouldn't?

Some good comments/questions/what-ifs here. When I see a 991 GT3 or GT2 in the U.S., I often catch myself looking through the quarter windows at all of the space back there. No seats, no cage allowed. If you get the fixed buckets, no easy window cleaning or large luggage, either.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm thinking about pulling my 991.2 S rear seats and belts and replacing with a GT3 carpet set in back. Maybe someone here can answer: Do any of the the GT3 rear carpets have the GT3 embroidery in Red? The ones I've seen were all in that silver/off-white stitching.

BTW, I personally would not be concerned with some lightening in the GT3 rear seat area if wanting seats there for kids, because it's highly unlikely any kids would be sitting back there weighing 250 lbs each. More likely, they would be under 100 lbs.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 PM
n d
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

Bobby,
I want to force myself to be respectful. Thank you for making an obvious and helpful post.

Some people, such as myself, enjoy naturally aspirated performance cars that don’t sound like a vacuum, Rev high and go like stink.

I also dont don’t see the sense in losing the back seats for only a slight weight savings.

My two boys fight over who can drive with me and I welcome the opportunity to have them both with me if it can be done in a safe manner.

There isn’t a single 4 seat sports car on the market that draws my attention except this and the Lusso. The Lusso is out for me because I can’t justify that price for an ugly hatchback.

Have a good day.
you have more restraint then me! Lol
Old 05-07-2019, 12:38 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
I'm thinking about pulling my 991.2 S rear seats and belts and replacing with a GT3 carpet set in back. Maybe someone here can answer: Do any of the the GT3 rear carpets have the GT3 embroidery in Red? The ones I've seen were all in that silver/off-white stitching.

BTW, I personally would not be concerned with some lightening in the GT3 rear seat area if wanting seats there for kids, because it's highly unlikely any kids would be sitting back there weighing 250 lbs each. More likely, they would be under 100 lbs.
My '18 GT3 has silver (never seen any other color) GT3 embroidered on the rear deck and middle of the rear seat console, but my '19 Touring has neither so it would fit any 991.2 nicely.
Wanna trade your rear seats and panels with mine???
Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

BTW here's the rear of my RS, and the bottom child seat anchors (LATCH system) are not there for sure.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (01-13-2023)
Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Pretty sure the 992 Touring will have rear seat option if you don't get LWB a la Carrera T.
thigos (12-19-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Pretty sure the 992 Touring will have rear seat option if you don't get LWB a la Carrera T.
That would be really nice for luggage. Not having the back shelf in the GT3 is inconvenient - I use it for road trips to track events frequently.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I think that too but not limited to touring
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe they might ditch the fixed LWBs and develop a new solution that allows access to the back. Maybe an improved/lighter version of the Euro buckets. I notice in the review videos of the 992s they have redesigned sofas (looks MUCH better imho) so not a stretch to think they might looks at the buckets too.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:56 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Did you install this? I saw it linked on another thread
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
That would be really nice for luggage. Not having the back shelf in the GT3 is inconvenient - I use it for road trips to track events frequently.
Speaking of using the back shelf in the GT3, has anyone carried more than me (all 4 track tire/wheel plus a folding tent)???

pak (03-01-2021)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 AM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
Speaking of using the back shelf in the GT3, has anyone carried more than me (all 4 track tire/wheel plus a folding tent)???
Where do you out the roll cage? On the roof? 👍
Old 06-25-2019, 03:57 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Man I miss being a kid in the late 70's early 80's. Rode around in the back of every one of my friends older brothers pick up trucks. I swear they tried to fling us out of the truck bed on every trip. One time I did get thrown from the bed of that pickup. My father told me it was my fault for not paying attention.
Drinking out of the hose. Being out all day and night until you heard your dad whistle for you from across the neighborhood in the pitch dark. How about riding in the back of that huge Chevy station wagon with no seat belts facing the rear traffic with that big curved window all the way down?

I say anyone in the US that wants to find some 991 Carrera rear seats, pull the carpet and bolt those things in there.. go at it. Like others have said, if you're carting around your own kids, then who gives a ****.

The other day I did put one of my daughters middle school aged kids in the back and she sat on that package tray while we took her home in the neighborhood. 25 mph speed limit. I did think about it later and should have put her in the front seat and my daughter in the back.

It's the parents of the other kids you need to worry about so just don't do it if you'll lose sleep over it.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcusG:
AlexCeres (07-14-2020), matthewlesko (10-25-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Porschian
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
That's true, quite easier to reverse. In my case, the nonsense price of a 997 GT kept me away.
Much cheaper than a turbo

Quick Reply: Rear Seats in my Touring... Yes, it is doable.