Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Mullholland Highway .. broken?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is Mullholland Highway .. broken?

Hi,

I have a potentially strange question, but I have been unable to find an answer and that makes me really curious.
In June, I will be travelling to California with 2 friends to experience some of the driving roads over there (I'm not bringing the my GT3 (I'm based in Europe), but we'll rent something fun from Hertz).

One of the roads we really want to do, is Mulholland Highway. However Google Maps doesn't play along. I know a lot of you know the area well, so I hope someone can help me.

Issue 1:
If we want to go from 29951 Mulholland Hwy, Agoura Hills, CA 91301, USA to Rock Store, Mulholland Highway, Cornell, CA, USA, Google Maps insist we take a strange detour, but when I take a look at street view, there is no reason to take that detour.
Does anyone know if we can just carry on from Mulholland to Rock Store? This is Googles suggestion:

Issue 2:
It gets stranger, we want to go from Rock Store, Mulholland Highway, Cornell, CA, USA to The Snake Carspot, 30887 Mulholland Hwy, Agoura Hills, CA 91301, USA, Google again suggests a detour:

Are these roads closed or something right now? Can I assume they will be open in June? The same issue takes place from the The Snake Carspot to Latigo Canyon Rd, California 90265, USA.

I can imagine these are the touristy driving roads .. but well .. we will be tourists
If there are any hidden gems in the area, feel free to let me know. We are also planning Angeles Crest, Route 33, some of PCH and many more.

Some GT3 content to avoid the slaughterhouse:
View this post on Instagram
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

We have been getting an unusual amount of rain in Socal the past few months. Anytime there are heavy rains, portions of these roads are closed for safety reasons. The Snake is one of the portions of Mulholland that is often closed due to storms, fires, etc. As long as there aren't any have storms or fires during or right before your trip in June (I doubt there will be), the roads should all be open.

A forum member (KOTYKB) just recently showed me this link and it is extremely helpful:
https://dpw.lacounty.gov/roadclosures/
Old 03-08-2019, 06:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Yes. There is a bridge burned out. Plus a lot of mud. Some sections good. Some not.
Snake may be closed.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you zoom in just a bit more on Google Maps, you'll see the "red circle with a line through it" icon over the bridge, which means the road is closed (normally they let you click the icon and get more details about the closure, but it's not doing that for some reason). That bridge was destroyed in the Woolsey fire last year.

This was the bridge right after the fire:

Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed the red icons, but like you said, they don't show anything. I didn't know about the bridge / fire. It explains a lot ofcourse.
I'll need to check the roads a couple of weeks before we arrive!

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 931 Likes on 534 Posts

there are a lot of great roads to drive
last year I drove mullholland hwy but found much better roads and I thought Mullholland was ok, but much better other choices
so don't worry plenty of other roads
be careful with hertz, most of their exotics have limited miles and we did end up driving around 200 miles a day including sift seeing and food etc
might want to try Turo for driving days and a nice car with unlimited miles for all around driving
Old 03-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes, Mulholland is broken! The bridge still looked like that a few weeks ago, but they were working on it. The Snake and Latigo were also closed at the time.

Truck traffic in and around the Woolsey fire area is heavy as they rebuild infrastructure, clear burned properties, rebuild, etc. I expect it will be that way for a while.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I think you need to dukes of hazard that bridge.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are in SoCal, recommend a drive on Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. Very nice drive on a road not traveled by many

Old 03-09-2019, 01:19 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Another fact about Mulholland that I learned the hard way: You cannot take Mulholland from Malibu to Hollywood. See attached Google Maps shot. It dead-ends around Topanga Canyon (27), so you have to take 101 east and then pick it up around Skirball or just east of the 405. I agree with others - although Mulholland is iconic and an must-do and must-see when in So Cal (it is featured in Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" after all...) there are far superior roads for opening up the 911. One of my personal favorites is the 33 (see map) which you can pick up in Ojai and take to the central valley. Lots of twisties, great views and a lot less traffic than Mulholland.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:24 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I saw the bridge melted a couple of moths ago due to the big fires. I don't think it will be repaired by June, but one can still have some good driving south of the area, around Piuma Rd, for example. You might also want to check Angeles Crest around La Canada.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 AM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie
Hi,

I have a potentially strange question, but I have been unable to find an answer and that makes me really curious.
In June, I will be travelling to California with 2 friends to experience some of the driving roads over there (I'm not bringing the my GT3 (I'm based in Europe), but we'll rent something fun from Hertz).

One of the roads we really want to do, is Mulholland Highway. However Google Maps doesn't play along. I know a lot of you know the area well, so I hope someone can help me.

Issue 1:
If we want to go from 29951 Mulholland Hwy, Agoura Hills, CA 91301, USA to Rock Store, Mulholland Highway, Cornell, CA, USA, Google Maps insist we take a strange detour, but when I take a look at street view, there is no reason to take that detour.
Does anyone know if we can just carry on from Mulholland to Rock Store? This is Googles suggestion:

Issue 2:
It gets stranger, we want to go from Rock Store, Mulholland Highway, Cornell, CA, USA to The Snake Carspot, 30887 Mulholland Hwy, Agoura Hills, CA 91301, USA, Google again suggests a detour:

Are these roads closed or something right now? Can I assume they will be open in June? The same issue takes place from the The Snake Carspot to Latigo Canyon Rd, California 90265, USA.

I can imagine these are the touristy driving roads .. but well .. we will be tourists
If there are any hidden gems in the area, feel free to let me know. We are also planning Angeles Crest, Route 33, some of PCH and many more.

Some GT3 content to avoid the slaughterhouse:

The Rock Store survived the fire. I think it's still opened on the weekends. Waze has a workaround though Cornell.

Taken just after the Woolsey fire

Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This is top of snake. Right after fires. Rain came shortly after and made roads a mess
Snake was closed a few weeks ago
hinestly the Malibu canyons are just not fun right now with all the cleanup
33 is awsome
ach had a major slide and there are tons of rocks last the big turn around
i haven’t done bt recently
i was th8nkijg of going to anzo or north county San Diego Sunday

Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I saw the bridge melted a couple of moths ago due to the big fires. I don't think it will be repaired by June, but one can still have some good driving south of the area, around Piuma Rd, for example. You might also want to check Angeles Crest around La Canada.
Yup forgot about the bridge being out. Definitely won’t be fixed by June.

However, if you take PCH to Kanan to Mulholland you can access the Snake which has been open since about a month after the fires. It’s only closed right now due to the recent rain storms. Should be open when you come out in June unless their is more rain. Lots of great driving roads in Malibu and I go up there almost every weekend. You just need to be aware of current closures before planning a route.

Some more after fire pics from the Snake. Everything is looking much more green now.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drove it in August

In a rental car and can say I’ve driven it but honestly there was not that much to it. Other than a jillion house for sale signs.

There’s a reason One Takes are done a ways further into the hills than that.

Quick Reply: Is Mullholland Highway .. broken?