Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

Big thanks to everyone for all the awesome recommendations and lively discussion! I never thought my post would turn into such an awesome and entertaining thread! It really displays the friendly and diverse culture of RL. It has also given us a ton to think about as we work through the consideration of moving part time or even full time.

We are in our late 30's and don't/won't have any kids (just 2 mini aussies, pics uploaded). Ideally, we would be getting a small vacation home/condo in a warm weather place in California to spend a significant part of Nov-Feb for work/play and then be back in OKC the rest of the year when the weather is 'more tolerable.' Obviously, cost of living is definitely a massive difference than OKC as is culture and politics. We could make it work full time, but doing it part time seems like a good way to dip our toes into it. We do largely love our little community/life in OKC with the exception of the weather and a few other nit picky items.

The main reason for the consideration is better weather for my wife. I gotta say the idea of amazing weather year round and being able to get in the car on a Saturday morning and drive up to the canyons sounds amazing to me as well. That being said, does anyone have any recommendations on best drives north of LA? We are planning a trip out to California in a month. Going to hit Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and LA.

Originally Posted by USGooner
Since I'm one on the few that has seen your house, please leave OKC and gift it to me since I couldn't afford to purchase your stunning home. If not an option then perhaps one of your extra cars will do instead. Also, I'm sure most of the crew in the "Red" run groups from tracks across the Midwest will be happy to see you go since you routinely kick everyone's butt on the track. Anyway, best of luck on your decision, but from a fellow Okie Santa Barbara is the pick.

P.S. Thanks again for the roof rack!

This post made me smile I hope you are enjoying the roofrack and hope that you are out with the Tulsa PCA at Hallett today. We couldn't make this event. Let me know next time you are in OKC as you should come over for a drink!

Old 03-16-2019, 07:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

>>> Agreed. It has been one of the best threads this year. It might deserve its own Hitler video!

If i were you, knowing what i know now, with your age and situation with your wife, i would pull the trigger and rent somewhere part-time as close to the ocean as you can. Before you seriously consider any area post it up here and people will give you the inside scoop. It isn’t as easy as this city versus that. There are parts of Huntington Beach, for example, that are really good, and there are places that i would not live in. Leverage the collective experience of the guys here.

Good luck!

Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
.......we would be getting a small vacation home/condo in a warm weather place in California to spend a significant part of Nov-Feb for work/play and then be back in OKC the rest of the year when the weather is 'more tolerable.' Obviously, cost of living is definitely a massive difference than OKC as is culture and politics. We could make it work full time, but doing it part time seems like a good way to dip our toes into it.
If you are only talking Nov-Feb, then I would be all about Scottsdale or Chandler, but no matter how it pans out, because of how epic this thread has become, you MUST check back here and let everyone know your final decision. Good luck!!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

I need advice. I'm saying at the Loews Hollywood for a few nights and rented a car. Thinking of driving to Santa Monica then along coast through Malibu and then up to Calabasas. Is it also worth venturing to Santa Barbara and potentially Santa Maria?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I need advice. I'm saying at the Loews Hollywood for a few nights and rented a car. Thinking of driving to Santa Monica then along coast through Malibu and then up to Calabasas. Is it also worth venturing to Santa Barbara and potentially Santa Maria?
Oh heck yeah it is. Beautiful over there!!!
Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Take the canyons up to Calabasas. Drive 101 to Santa Barbara.. from there to San Luis Obispo there isn't as much, but right after SLO get back on. Hwy 1 and driventhe coast up again. Best road ever through big sur
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Take the canyons up to Calabasas. Drive 101 to Santa Barbara.. from there to San Luis Obispo there isn't as much, but right after SLO get back on. Hwy 1 and driventhe coast up again. Best road ever through big sur
Thank you my friend, I owe you a beer.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

From this past Sunday with a few Southern California Rennlist Members. We did a drive in the San Diego canyons. Beautiful weather. Cold wind.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like a good turn out with some nice cars and beautiful scenery. Reminds me of Drives we have with the SmokiesGT group.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:06 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Spin
Looks like a good turn out with some nice cars and beautiful scenery. Reminds me of Drives we have with the SmokiesGT group.
It was a great turn out. later that day I took a hike with my brother around our area. La Jolla. Lots of people down at the beach.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I had breakfast on the deck at Nepenthe along the coast in Big Sur this morning and was tempted to post a pic but felt like it would be rubbing salt in the wound of our fellow Rennlisters in colder climes. Weather could not have been more perfect. Just got back from the driving range in Pebble, now watching F1 qualifying with the family room doors wide open to the patio. Heading over to the beach with the pup in a bit. California has its advantages for sure.
Please post pic of ambrosia burger and their homemade ranch and a pic of the insane ocean views
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Watch....

Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Well said CAlexio- agree with most of your opinions having grown up in SoCal and now living in Portland.

And yes, if I moved back this would be my first choice, best weather and fewest crowds- however, the sliver of coast for nice weather is even slimmer! From La Jolla where it can be 78 degrees just drive 10 miles to Miramar AFB and it can be over a 100 degrees- crazy!

But every time I go back to visit family and friends I just find CA getting shabbier- hell the freeways through LA have not changed since I was born and that's a long time!! Portland downtown is pretty much the same, so it's an inner city thing, but fewer people, beautiful countryside, with oceans and mountains makes it easy to escape. Give the NW a peak, if you can't stand rain and a little cold then it's not for you, but snow sports take the edge off and summers are like forever spring....
The best place to live in Oregon is Southern Oregon. I love Ashland, which is not cheap: $400-600k is what most houses go for. There are a lot of cheap depressed areas down in Southern Oregon that are dirt cheap: they all have the wonderful mediterranean climate and good roads though!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Great thread.

i am close to buying a second home on the West Coast for weekend getaways and to spend some Winter time out there.

Will know by mid-next week.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

PCH -> R Decker Cyn -> R Moholland -> Snake -> Rock Store -> 101S -> Calabasas.

I would extend to Santa Barbara and Santa Maria if you plan an overnight stay up there. Would recommend the Canary Hotel right in the middle of everything on State Street.

EDIT: Maybe avoid Decker if your rental does not handle or brake well......

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?