Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

are you a blonde or brunette kinda guy?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Just remember, the weather is amazing, the sunsets reflecting off the ocean are incredible, and the smoking hot women offset almost all the negatives. lol
Great I will Rent.

Any rentals here for single guy in southern Cal feel free to PM lol

Old 03-14-2019, 08:09 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

We need some young wealthy Cali millennials to chime in here. I want their perspective.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
are you a blonde or brunette kinda guy?
Like my coffee. Dark and murky.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Archimedes, you make a lot of sense . Jealous re Pebble. You going to the US Open this year? I went in 2010 and played it 3 weeks later for a big birthday in July . One of my favorite places/courses in the world.
May do a practice round or the first round. Daughter graduates college that weekend and the wife says I have to go...
Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am pretty sure it is $750k, not $500k.
Ah you are correct. I thought they went all the way to $500k.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Ah you are correct. I thought they went all the way to $500k.
Unless you are grandfathered in, then it's still $1m.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Interesting all the California bashing. Largely from people that don't live there or don't live there anymore.

End of the day each place made sense to those that live there for whatever the reason, justified or not. Who cares other than if you are providing advice on what to think about before making a decision or you asked for such advice.

I am jealous of low taxes in the US. Tax deductions for mortgage interest, property tax and other taxes. Wow! 13% state income tax, sign me up. Real Estate prices are similar and you get all the pros of California, awesome!

Now only if my dollar was worth 34% more than it is.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Yes, traffic can take all the joy out of driving. My understanding is that a number of states (California included) are looking at a pay-per-mile driving tax......
Great! …and in typical CA fashion, the tax will go into effect and we will see no benefit from it. Wasn’t the latest gas tax increase the year before last supposed to pay for road infrastructure, despite it already being one of the highest in the country before that increase? I believe it's going up yet again on July 1 of this year, to be (what a surprise) the highest in the nation!!

So yeah, lets get that pay-per-mile driving tax set up ASAP!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Great! …and in typical CA fashion, the tax will go into effect and we will see no benefit from it. Wasn’t the latest gas tax increase the year before last supposed to pay for road infrastructure, despite it already being one of the highest in the country before that increase? I believe it's going up yet again on July 1 of this year, to be (what a surprise) the highest in the nation!!

So yeah, lets get that pay-per-mile driving tax set up ASAP!
Sorry that new gas tax is going towards funding the states grossly underfunded pensions, doubt much will be spent on infrastructure.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Sorry that new gas tax is going towards funding the states grossly underfunded pensions, doubt much will be spent on infrastructure.
This tends to be the new normal now with nearly all state tax raises. A guilt trip of needing more Police, Fire, infrastructure, etc..... then there is no/little oversight, money goes into general budget, and backdoors into the underfunded pensions. See it with school districts too. Sickening
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Great I will Rent.

Any rentals here for single guy in southern Cal feel free to PM lol
Originally Posted by iczer34
We need some young wealthy Cali millennials to chime in here. I want their perspective.
I'm 29 and in LA I rent here, as my plan has always been to try out CA temporarily before I get too old and too lazy (own properties back in Hawaii and will move back eventually)

In my brief experience so far I've found that CA is just everything amplified, good and bad. From women to weather to vanity to taxes to cost of living to traffic to car culture to roads/scenery etc. I can see why people love it here but I can also see why people hate it here, or left and no looking back

Personally I absolutely love the weather and the roads/scenery, the things to do (duh). Everywhere here is dog friendly which is a big bonus for me so I can bring my dog with me to most places. But the taxes (making getting in and out of cars eye watering), the traffic, and how "vain" /potentially out of touch some people are with reality in my area is a big turn off *in my opinion* (this is likely very neighborhood specific). When you first move here it can be like drinking water from a firehose, especially if you are on your own, to get settled/feel comfortable/make friends/find people who align with your interests if that is important. Very different than being here on vacation for a couple days as a tourist

So for CA IMO - you gotta take the good with the bad. If the good aligns with what you are looking for, and your eyes are open about the bad, it's a truly amazing place and you'll understand why everyone is interested about living in California and why half the nation lives here (or it feels like it)

Vice versa, if the "bad" is so off putting that no amount of good will make up for it compared to your lifestyle/where you live, then I don't know that CA would be the place for you

Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Left work a little early so the wife, dog and I went for a little hike. This is less than a mile from my house. First picture is a little secret spot in city open space I found. Mt. Tam in the background.

One of the many many reasons I'll put up with the negatives of CA.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

But the taxes (making getting in and out of cars eye watering), the traffic, and how "vain" /potentially out of touch some people are with reality in my area is a big turn off *in my opinion* (this is likely very neighborhood specific).
You can be as little as 45 minutes outside of LA and suddenly you don't see those types of people anymore (I know exactly the ones you mean). The line is somewhere around Calabasas.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 AM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by iczer34
i'm basically the youngest gen x or oldest millennial

ca is everything. i'm self made and self paid for everything including a house in LA. it is doable to live in ca and bootstrap your way up through hard work and logical thinking

i work in IT and have worked for media and with some of the biggest startups in the world here and nowhere else in the nation has so many opportunities and thats the ****ing honest truth. no other state has even close to the opportunities we have here with aecom to apple to cisco to honda to intel to amazon studios to netflix to hulu to disney to fox to chevron to google to waymo to tesla to hyperloop to uber to lyft to snapchat to twitter to amd to adobe to hp to xerox to facebook to visa and beyond. ca is the true land of opportunity from tech to creative to anything else almost

theres also the human culture here with more ethnicity's and languages spoken than anywhere else, i value being able to interact with dozens of different cultures on a given day. the food is unmatched for freshness since all produce and sushi in the usa comes through caor is grown here.

we have 20 million people working in ca with a gdp of 3 trillion making us the 5th largest economy the world if we were a country

we have the cars and an unmatched car culture here. there are 7 incredible race tracks about 1.5 hours or less from la and 3 incredible tracks less than 2 hours from sf

the women are hot but crazy but hot but still crazy

we invented gangs and kush here

the music scene here is unrivaled. almost every important rock album in the last 40 years has been recorded in LA and sound city to be exact

the comedy scene here is unrivaled. just tonight 2 of the worlds biggest comics dropped by the comedy store amazing stuff

the weather is 60 when cold and 70 normally and 80 when hot through most of the state <20 miles inland. LA and SD have the best weather of any major city in the usa

the aerospace industry in socal is unrivaled with hundreds of suppliers spread across the south bay

we have the ocean next us

we have great sking

we have the best sports teams lakers/dodgers/galaxy/49ers/giants/rams/chargers/clippers/angels

theres so much to do in ca that you get tired thinking about all this stuff so i'll stop here but you get the point

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?