Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
The definition is vague and I would contest it. The word "Visiting" and "Temporary" is subjective. I dont see how the wacko's in in Kali could uphold it if I can prove home ownership and 51% of my time is in Florida. My vehicles are registered in FL, drivers license, insurance, own multiple businesses, kids go to school there, ect.
Don't worry, they'll gladly let you contest it. There's plenty of precedent in California around this issue. If you spend a significant amount of time in the state, they will assert residence. They will look at whether you own property, work, kids attend school in the State. They'll look at your credit cards to see where you spend your money. They'll look at whether you have any memberships in any clubs or organizations in the State. Anyone can cheat on their taxes, but doing it by skirting the residence rules in California is very risky and a lot of people have figured that out the hard way.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Don't worry, they'll gladly let you contest it. There's plenty of precedent in California around this issue. If you spend a significant amount of time in the state, they will assert residence. They will look at whether you own property, work, kids attend school in the State. They'll look at your credit cards to see where you spend your money. They'll look at whether you have any memberships in any clubs or organizations in the State. Anyone can cheat on their taxes, but doing it by skirting the residence rules in California is very risky and a lot of people have figured that out the hard way.
What's your thoughts if I live in AZ but spend 90 days in CA (rent not buy) to get out of the summer heat? Issues with CA on tax items? 80% of my income is made in UT and 20% in AZ. I currently have a summer home in WY, but my wife wants me to sell it and wants to spend the summers on the beach in Newport area. Hotel or 90 day VRBO or something. Would CA try to come after me for residency?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by vf430
People complaining about cost of real estate being high here in California. Yes it is true but we need to look at the full picture case by case. I owned a bunch of homes in chicago ( primary and rentals ) almost all of them were basically flat after 10 years , to make it worse the property taxes were 2 percent or more.

California housing is crazy , but some of these homes appreciate at a much greater level than anywhere else and taxes are generally 1 percent ( newer areas have mello Roos etc ). From a long term perspective I have come ahead here on housing. At least until now the demand is strong 800 k to 3 m price range in good parts of CA.
Anecdotal and market timing luck. I bought in 1999, sold in 2016. Got a ridiculous price for a small house in a very good neighborhood. My 17 year compounded return on investment, giving consideration to the remodeling costs on the house, was just over 5 percent. Worse than if I had put the money in the market and rented. This is not atypical of the Bay Area. Over the long term, there is a return, but it's not like buying Apple years ago. Oh, and in California, the gain on your house is taxed as ordinary income, not at a reduced capital gains rate. California has no State capital gains tax rates.

Sure you can get lucky out here and happen to time the market perfectly, but it's no different than market timing with equities. Mostly luck. Over the long term real estate rises and falls significantly here, and the long term trend line is not a hockey stick. And given how dramatic the down trends can be and how extended they can last, I tell anyone buying here, you need to have enough wealth to be able to stay in your house for five years even if things go south, or you risk having to sell into a downturn and getting killed.

When I bought our current house last year, I went in assuming that 1/3rd of the value could easily disappear in the next 2-10 years.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Well said. It also depends on where you are coming from. If I had lived in IL and moved to CA I think I would be in love with it too, and brush off the taxes (IL has high taxes too, as you know). But being happy is all that matters. My wife and I will have a huge decision to make once our daughter has children. If she stays in California we are pretty much screwed. But I would just suck it up and make the best of it. Malibu!
Coming from IL I really didn't feel it. We were already taxed to death and for the privilege of living in a boring landscape with terrible weather and stagnant housing. The city of Chicago is probably one of my favorite downtowns of anywhere. We will probably end up having a second place in Gold Coast since we do return to visit pretty often for business and to see family.

My wife and I originally planned to head to Malibu but after the fires it really scared the hell out of us. Granted Malibu is almost 30 miles long and most of southern Malibu was not affected but it still gives you a moment of pause. I think our goal will be to buy our next home in the Palisades. Close to Malibu but not too close lol...
Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by joejenie
What's your thoughts if I live in AZ but spend 90 days in CA (rent not buy) to get out of the summer heat? Issues with CA on tax items? 80% of my income is made in UT and 20% in AZ. I currently have a summer home in WY, but my wife wants me to sell it and wants to spend the summers on the beach in Newport area. Hotel or 90 day VRBO or something. Would CA try to come after me for residency?
Not if you don't work, don't buy property or enter into a lease, don't register a car, don't join clubs or use regular doctors, don't send your kids to school, etc. People who validly come here to vacation part of the year have no problem. People who truly try to live here a material part of the year and just not establish legal residence here are the ones who have a problem. The Ca FTB is very aggressive. If they weren't, everyone would be cheating and have a Nevada address.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:19 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by joejenie
CA FTB isn't going around and peering through your windows trying to assess your residency. Residency audits are triggered because something is sent to Sacramento that raises suspicion. Here is a good article that explains how things are triggered:
https://www.palmspringstaxandtrustla...-nonresidents/

Just be smart. Don't do things like open a bank account in CA because the interest earned will be reported to CA. As long as some tax form doesn't get sent to Sacramento linking you to CA as a resident, you will likely not be audited.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Coming from IL I really didn't feel it. We were already taxed to death and for the privilege of living in a boring landscape with terrible weather and stagnant housing. The city of Chicago is probably one of my favorite downtowns of anywhere. We will probably end up having a second place in Gold Coast since we do return to visit pretty often for business and to see family.

My wife and I originally planned to head to Malibu but after the fires it really scared the hell out of us. Granted Malibu is almost 30 miles long and most of southern Malibu was not affected but it still gives you a moment of pause. I think our goal will be to buy our next home in the Palisades. Close to Malibu but not too close lol...
My grandparents lived in Palisades their entire lives, and they had a weekend getaway beach house in Malibu. They bought the beach house for $35k long ago because it was cheap and nobody wanted to live that far from the jobs in LA. My dad ate lobster every weekend, as they had traps right out front of the beach house. He hated lobster. A burger was a huge treat. They dealt with mudslides, fires and waves crashing through the windows for decades. It was still paradise. We used to sit out at night and watch the stealth fighters practicing off point mugu. Actress Genevieve Bujold lived next door. She starred in Coma. Nice lady, but she screwed the pooch turning down a big role on Star Trek the Next Generation. Dick Clark lived down the beach about 500 feet (up on the hill). Used to see him and his wife strolling on the beach. He never looked sad. Malibu was a special place in the 80s and 90s but I am not sure how badly development and over population have ruined it. I know at one point getting anything built in Malibu was very hard.

I think we would still move their, even with the regular disasters. Pacific Palisades was nice. it had an old town feel to it, but I always preferred Malibu. But my opinion of Malibu is frozen in the 80s and 90s. Need to go back and have a look.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:44 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
My grandparents lived in Palisades their entire lives, and they had a weekend getaway beach house in Malibu. They bought the beach house for $35k long ago because it was cheap and nobody wanted to live that far from the jobs in LA. My dad ate lobster every weekend, as they had traps right out front of the beach house. He hated lobster. A burger was a huge treat. They dealt with mudslides, fires and waves crashing through the windows for decades. It was still paradise. We used to sit out at night and watch the stealth fighters practicing off point mugu. Actress Genevieve Bujold lived next door. She starred in Coma. Nice lady, but she screwed the pooch turning down a big role on Star Trek the Next Generation. Dick Clark lived down the beach about 500 feet (up on the hill). Used to see him and his wife strolling on the beach. He never looked sad. Malibu was a special place in the 80s and 90s but I am not sure how badly development and over population have ruined it. I know at one point getting anything built in Malibu was very hard.

I think we would still move their, even with the regular disasters. Pacific Palisades was nice. it had an old town feel to it, but I always preferred Malibu. But my opinion of Malibu is frozen in the 80s and 90s. Need to go back and have a look.
Malibu has had some development, but its extremely difficult to do anything now. I have a small interest in a development and thats been in the works since 1988 (may be the last significant commercial one in Malibu while I'm alive)! Whole Foods is going in now and the Mart is new'ish. So its still pretty cool and largely unspoiled. Only difference is that its big $$ today.. I love Malibu but its very much a strip on the water and not really walking etc. You cant walk up and down PCH. Thats why i decide on Manhattan Beach.More walking, villagey etc. But busier than Malibu
Old 03-12-2019, 03:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Malibu has had some development, but its extremely difficult to do anything now. I have a small interest in a development and thats been in the works since 1988 (may be the last significant commercial one in Malibu while I'm alive)! Whole Foods is going in now and the Mart is new'ish. So its still pretty cool and largely unspoiled. Only difference is that its big $$ today.. I love Malibu but its very much a strip on the water and not really walking etc. You cant walk up and down PCH. Thats why i decide on Manhattan Beach.More walking, villagey etc. But busier than Malibu
I haven’t been to Manhattan Beach in years. Maybe i will check it out next time i visit. Thanks for the input on current Malibu!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

CA FTB isn't going around and peering through your windows trying to assess your residency. Residency audits are triggered because something is sent to Sacramento that raises suspicion. Here is a good article that explains how things are triggered:
https://www.palmspringstaxandtrustla...-nonresidents/

Just be smart. Don't do things like open a bank account in CA because the interest earned will be reported to CA. As long as some tax form doesn't get sent to Sacramento linking you to CA as a resident, you will likely not be audited.
This. It's the people that really live here, that try to act like they don't, that get caught.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
And the speed limits are lax.
Very important cause the foreign DL thing only works out of state in rental cars.
:-) Some distances that were “far” recently are now not far with cars doing half the driving while covering ground at 90-100mph..

Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

.......With the new Trump tax plan, we can now only deduct up to 10k of income and property taxes from our federal taxes when before you could deduct the entire thing. However, several states are currently suing the federal government over this cap (SALT) and it's looking good that it may get overturned due to the midterm elections......
Dont bet on any changes through the court system. In fact, the counterargument is that there should not even be the $10k deduction, because that amounts to a subsidy to the high tax states, and unfair to the low/no tax states. It's purely a political red/blue issue.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:04 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Screw that, I'll let the communist people in Kali annex themselves from the rest of the States. Good riddance, ill spend my money elsewhere. Liberalism at its finest....
Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by mchrono
Dont bet on any changes through the court system. In fact, the counterargument is that there should not even be the $10k deduction, because that amounts to a subsidy to the high tax states, and unfair to the low/no tax states. It's purely a political red/blue issue.
I don't count on anything It just looks likely that it will get overturned. If it does, it will just be a welcome surprise when my tax bill is lower than expected. If not, that's fine too.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The only FL tax we pay is 7% sales tax and 1.65%-2% real estate tax on the assessed value of your home when you bought it and it can only go up matching inflation or 3% roughly.
You do have to pay attention and fight valuation. I just did and succeeded because a property I bought wasn’t assessed correctly.

There are counties where there barely is any real estate tax but they’re in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?