Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:41 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Under California law, a person who visits the state for other than a temporary or transitory purpose is a legal resident, subject to California taxation.

This includes renting a house a few months or more per year. The notion that you can just live 51% of the year in another state and avoid being taxed in California is not true anymore.
The definition is vague and I would contest it. The word "Visiting" and "Temporary" is subjective. I dont see how the wacko's in in Kali could uphold it if I can prove home ownership and 51% of my time is in Florida. My vehicles are registered in FL, drivers license, insurance, own multiple businesses, kids go to school there, ect.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Last edited by CAlexio; 03-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
The definition is vague and I would contest it. The word "Visiting" and "Temporary" is subjective. I dont see how the wacko's in in Kali could uphold it if I can prove home ownership and 51% of my time is in Florida. My vehicles are registered in FL, drivers license, insurance, own multiple businesses, kids go to school there, ect.
Temporary and Transitory are definitions the FTB uses. If they determine you are a California resident it will be on you to prove otherwise. Guilty until proven innocent.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Airbnb it is.
None of the below applies to my particular case:
  • Ownership or lease of real estate.
  • Business interests or employment.
  • Financial accounts, such as banks and investments, safe deposit boxes.
  • A spouse's residency (they don't have to be the same)
  • Schools children attend.
  • Voter registration.
  • Automobile registration and license
  • Use of professional services such as a primary physician, dentists, accountants and lawyers.
  • Professional licenses.
  • Family ties and social life.
  • Representations of residency in social media or websites (where does your Twitter account say you're tweeting from?).
  • Address used on various tax documents, such as a federal return (form 1040) or W-2s, 1099s, K-1s, etc.
  • Location of important personal belongings such as family heirlooms, art, or important documents.
  • Membership in clubs and gyms.
And what would be a reasonable amount of time to vacation in CA without getting faucked over by the CA tax regime?
Europe and most states say 6 months..
  • And of course, where you spend most of your time.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Oh, we have a ****load of stupid people here in Florida, that goes without saying.
Tons and tons.

Also many, many drunk girls at the bar, but at least here they don't pretend to be actors, VC, tech, bla bla.
Its Florida, have a good time and don't worry too much. Rent is cheap, gas is cheap, no tax. Doesn't take much to survive.

The air is warm and clean so that's something and it all looks pretty, but you cant see the humidity on those nice pictures June through Sept...
There are dryer quiet places in CA, like Napa, but with the mud slides, hippies, fires and quakes its all still a little more troubling then hurricane parties that time of the year.

So what about Northern AZ for the summer?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Oh, we have a ****load of stupid people here in Florida, that goes without saying.
Tons and tons.

Also many, many drunk girls at the bar, but at least here they don't pretend to be actors, VC, tech, bla bla.
Its Florida, have a good time and don't worry too much. Rent is cheap, gas is cheap, no tax. Doesn't take much to survive.

The air is warm and clean so that's something and it all looks pretty, but you cant see the humidity on those nice pictures June through Sept...
There are dryer quiet places in CA, like Napa, but with the mud slides, hippies, fires and quakes its all still a little more troubling then hurricane parties that time of the year.

Peter if you are escaping the Florida summers, come to Colorado. You won’t run out of twisty roads to conquer. Even if Colorado tries to screw with you, our state income tax rate is only 4.5%, not 13.3. Plus our mountain roads are usually light on traffic, and most people pull over and let you by if they see you are in a sportscar. Mad love for the GT cars out here. If you get bored there’s always Pikes Peak.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

That is a good point about the women. Seriously, in Ohio the best looking woman I ever saw was a solid 7 in California. In fact, the women are so good looking and in such abundance, that unless you are a real disaster you can find a really good looking one. I am not tall, not dark and not really handsome, yet I was dating a poster girl for the Long Beach Grand Prix. We are talking smoking hot. Then I met my wife, who herself is still smoking hot. In Ohio I would have probably ended up with a 200 pound sweat hog that worked as a phone sex technician.

Find a good one, then get out.
Hey wait a second....
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Peter if you are escaping the Florida summers, come to Colorado. You won’t run out of twisty roads to conquer. Even if Colorado tries to screw with you, our state income tax rate is only 4.5%, not 13.3. Plus our mountain roads are usually light on traffic, and most people pull over and let you by if they see you are in a sportscar. Mad love for the GT cars out here. If you get bored there’s always Pikes Peak.
I think the next time I ship my car west, it will be to CO, then drive the rest.
You know, sneak in and out of CA, pay cash (Bitcoin I guess?) for fuel and hotels, as to not get caught

Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Tons and tons.

And the speed limits are lax.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Oh geez. Keep drinking your kombucha.

oh gosh Mr. Drt, maybe you like that sort of stuff in Kentucky where you live, but i'm not a big fan of Kambucha, makes my tummy rumble quite a bit. But your comment made me think, while i know you have great driving roads where you live, but not as great bar conversation.. you might for example fly over for a GT car drive with some of us here in SF. We have some fun roads, ocean view etc... normal stuff. Then we can go to a bar, or a tedtalk, or a networking event, or we can just walk down the street after our GT3 drive, and you can assess for yourself in person whether what I'm saying in true. Drinking Kambucha keyboard-warrior style on the other side of the country won't give you the perspective you seek, and more importantly than your choice of beverage though, is the fact that we are having a positive and as much as possible fact laden (not emotion laden) conversation.. why dont you contribute in a way which reflects that attitude?

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
"I can attest to this personally.. almost everyone I meet here is really really smart. The random drunk girl at the bar is a PhD... you can turn in the other direction and someone is deep into "drunk" conversation about biotech, cancer treatments, or some other tech. and these are knowledgeable and in-depth convos. you simply can't this concentration of intelligence anywhere in the world. When i travel outside of the bay area, it's starkly apparent how the average individual is relatively uneducated, focused on sports or some other diversion, and simply not able to maintain the level of convo you get from the "average" bay area encounter. This is not an elitist type of comment, it's simply the self-evident truth, and a fascinating example of the Pareto Effect in action."

I respectfully disagree. NYC, Boston and LA - among others - are loaded with intelligent people. It is really the company you keep as much as anything. There are super sharp people from sea to shining sea. Honestly, I feel like I come across as many homeless people in the Financial district of SF as I do brainiacs. That place is teeming with homeless drug addicts who **** and crap on the street. It is a shame - I love SF but every time I go, it looks more and more dilapidated. LA has a terrible homeless crisis as well but to say everyone in SF and Silicone Valley is a genius is definitely an over-generalization.
I mentioned a concentration of intelligence, Pareto Effect. As you can see where you quoted me, I didn't say "everyone in SF and Silicone Valley is a genius"... you're right, that WOULD be an over-generalization! My "girl at the bar" example was intended to demonstrate a reality here, which is that of all the places I've travelled and lived in in the world, and it's many, when i arrived in the Bay Area i noticed an undeniable and immense concentration of highly educated people, and they seem to continue to attract more of their own kind. While we know that dense cities naturally attract higher earning and more educated individuals, LA, Boston, NYC as you say are very similar I'm sure, Anyway, i'm just the simpleton who snuck in and figured out how to blend among them. ;-D.

Let's keep the convo going in a logical and respectful direction please, it's an interesting one.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I would move to CA but its not the housing cost that bothers me its the state income tax, I would get crucified. I guess I should just rent a house there April through Sep?
It is what it is. Coming from IL, my state income taxes more than doubled. With the new Trump tax plan, we can now only deduct up to 10k of income and property taxes from our federal taxes when before you could deduct the entire thing. However, several states are currently suing the federal government over this cap (SALT) and it's looking good that it may get overturned due to the midterm elections.

Here is the bottomline; A state income tax, or any tax for that matter, should not dictate where you live. You have to consider other factors. Could you make the same amount of money elsewhere? For example, it's not uncommon for a software engineer to make 300-500k working for one of the big tech companies here. That same engineer would be lucky to make 150k-200k in another state. Does it make sense for that software engineer to flee over an income tax of about 8-9%? Of course not.

Then there are other factors like happiness and fulfillment. Would you be as happier living some where else? If not, then the premium you pay for being happier here is probably worth it.

Sure if you make 150k a year in CA and you could make the same 150k in FL and you don't particular care for CA one way or another, it would make sense to stay where you are at. But usually the salaries here do reflect the cost of living differences (at least the tax differences) when it comes to most professions.

My wife and I can run our businesses anywhere but we choose to do it from CA. We are happier here and prefer the lifestyle that CA has to offer. We pay a premium for that and don't think twice about it. At the end of the day, this entire game of life is about happiness and limiting chances for regret. Do what makes you happy and if you fear you may regret not trying something (like moving to another state), give it a shot. What's the worse that's going to happen? You might have to start over? I have started over more times than I can count and don't regret any of the chances I have taken because I know if I wouldn't have taken them, I wouldn't be where I am today and would just end up an old man wondering "what if?"
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM
robmypro
Race Director

I think the next time I ship my car west, it will be to CO, then drive the rest.
You know, sneak in and out of CA, pay cash (Bitcoin I guess?) for fuel and hotels, as to not get caught
SOLID PLAN Peter. lol
Old 03-12-2019, 11:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer

And the speed limits are lax.
I drove across state last week, I should have taken my VBox LOL.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by phow
It is what it is. Coming from IL, my state income taxes more than doubled. With the new Trump tax plan, we can now only deduct up to 10k of income and property taxes from our federal taxes when before you could deduct the entire thing. However, several states are currently suing the federal government over this cap (SALT) and it's looking good that it may get overturned due to the midterm elections.

Here is the bottomline; A state income tax, or any tax for that matter, should not dictate where you live. You have to consider other factors. Could you make the same amount of money elsewhere? For example, it's not uncommon for a software engineer to make 300-500k working for one of the big tech companies here. That same engineer would be lucky to make 150k-200k in another state. Does it make sense for that software engineer to flee over an income tax of about 8-9%? Of course not.

Then there are other factors like happiness and fulfillment. Would you be as happier living some where else? If not, then the premium you pay for being happier here is probably worth it.

Sure if you make 150k a year in CA and you could make the same 150k in FL and you don't particular care for CA one way or another, it would make sense to stay where you are at. But usually the salaries here do reflect the cost of living differences (at least the tax differences) when it comes to most professions.

My wife and I can run our businesses anywhere but we choose to do it from CA. We are happier here and prefer the lifestyle that CA has to offer. We pay a premium for that and don't think twice about it. At the end of the day, this entire game of life is about happiness and limiting chances for regret. Do what makes you happy and if you fear you may regret not trying something (like moving to another state), give it a shot. What's the worse that's going to happen? You might have to start over? I have started over more times than I can count and don't regret any of the chances I have taken because I know if I wouldn't have taken them, I wouldn't be where I am today and would just end up an old man wondering "what if?"
Well said. It also depends on where you are coming from. If I had lived in IL and moved to CA I think I would be in love with it too, and brush off the taxes (IL has high taxes too, as you know). But being happy is all that matters. My wife and I will have a huge decision to make once our daughter has children. If she stays in California we are pretty much screwed. But I would just suck it up and make the best of it. Malibu!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

People complaining about cost of real estate being high here in California. Yes it is true but we need to look at the full picture case by case. I owned a bunch of homes in chicago ( primary and rentals ) almost all of them were basically flat after 10 years , to make it worse the property taxes were 2 percent or more.

California housing is crazy , but some of these homes appreciate at a much greater level than anywhere else and taxes are generally 1 percent ( newer areas have mello Roos etc ). From a long term perspective I have come ahead here on housing. At least until now the demand is strong 800 k to 3 m price range in good parts of CA.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?