Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
a timely article about how population in california is just changing in nature, as low and middle class leave, and wealthy enter. This article is especially relevant to me. I'm not wealthy, in the sense that I still need to work, and i can't live off of investments, so I can't "retire" yet, and the costs of living here are quite high. However, it's the opportunity i find here, in the form of investors, innovative thinkers, high level collaborators, which keep me here, in addition of course to the incredible quality of life. The article sums it up quite well.

I can attest to this personally.. almost everyone I meet here is really really smart. The random drunk girl at the bar is a PhD... you can turn in the other direction and someone is deep into "drunk" conversation about biotech, cancer treatments, or some other tech. and these are knowledgeable and in-depth convos. you simply can't this concentration of intelligence anywhere in the world. When i travel outside of the bay area, it's starkly apparent how the average individual is relatively uneducated, focused on sports or some other diversion, and simply not able to maintain the level of convo you get from the "average" bay area encounter. This is not an elitist type of comment, it's simply the self-evident truth, and a fascinating example of the Pareto Effect in action.
And yet, having been here in Silicon Valley working in consulting for the last 25+ years, I find the level of competence in client management these days is the lowest it's ever been. Lots of great 'thinkers', but very few great 'doers'. The attention to detail and the ability to complete a task or project accurately, thoroughly and on time is non-existent. I spend as much time dealing with and fixing client mistakes as I do actually providing the services I was contracted to provide.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Thanks! She is a go-getter! She lives in SF now and said she wants to live in California forever. lol

Trust me, that poses some long term issues for us! Grandkids! Google is insane. 580k sqft? Damn.

Yeah, it can be done. No doubt there are stories of people making it. But 30 years ago a smart person with no college education could move to California and make it. I know because i saw many do it. Today doing that is noteworthy. Having a degree from a top California university might get you an interview at Google, if you have the grades. Our daughter makes $125k plus bonus and equity at 25. Psychology degree, but with a business minor.

This throws common wisdom on its head. I will tell anyone in California to send their kids out of state for college. Let them get a real college experience. Then apply at the big tech companies afterwards. It worked for us.
Wow, making a 6 figure salary with only a few years experience? Mind me asking what she doesn't for a living? I don't think it's accounting or finance so I'm curious.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Oh geez. Keep drinking your kombucha.
Lots of really smart people all over. California hasn’t cornered the market. Maybe 30 years ago i would have agreed with you, but today the best and brightest can’t afford to live in California out of college. Denver, Austin and other areas are sucking up the top talent. When you can’t land the best outfielder in the game because it is too expensive, you have a problem.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Lots of really smart people all over. California hasn’t cornered the market. Maybe 30 years ago i would have agreed with you, but today the best and brightest can’t afford to live in California out of college. Denver, Austin and other areas are sucking up the top talent. When you can’t land the best outfielder in the game because it is too expensive, you have a problem.
Yes I agree with you hence my post finding his comment literally ridiculous and just wrong. He is busy hanging out with Gavin with ignorant comments like that.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Wow, making a 6 figure salary with only a few years experience? Mind me asking what she doesn't for a living? I don't think it's accounting or finance so I'm curious.
Yeah, it is pretty amazing. It is the bay area, though, so a meduim pizza costs $30. She is in Project Management. Google is an awesome place to work. Free transportation. Free food. Free workout facilities. They have a program where they will send her to Tokyo, Sydney and many other places to live and work for a few months to get more experience. She is eying Sydney.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Yes I agree with you hence my post finding his comment literally ridiculous and just wrong. He is busy hanging out with Gavin with ignorant comments like that.
Alex seems like a really nice guy (as do most of the California guys on here), so i don’t want to slam anyone for different views. Hey, 10 to 15 years ago i would have said the same thing! I don’t blame people for seeing things differently than i do. Live where you are happy. Think whatever you want to think. But I personally think the notion that California is somehow a thought leader and the mecca for brains is very outdated.

We don’t live in that world anymore. IMHO.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
a timely article about how population in california is just changing in nature, as low and middle class leave, and wealthy enter..........

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...L4-QOfV3FlJcts
I find it hard to believe that more wealthy folks are entering the state than leaving. Would be interesting to see exactly how this conclusion was reached. According to published IRS data, the state lost $58.63 billion in annual AGI in 2016 (latest year data is available) due to net out-migration. Wealth did move into CA, mostly from NY, IL, and NJ, which seem like lateral moves as far as tax/regulation/cost of living. Guess where most of the wealth moved to? NV, AZ, TX, WA, and OR.

That LA Times article opens by saying:

"It makes sense. If you’re getting rich in California and can afford to live comfortably here in this balmy climate, there’s little incentive to leave — except to stick it to the tax collector in Sacramento."

and

“If you’ve got your business here and you’re making money, it’s hard to leave,”

Agree 100% with both statements. However, I could be wrong but I don't get the impression that the OP is looking to move from OK to CA to make his fortune.

There are many nice spots in the state for a vacation place, but I would just warn that like the song says, you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Homestead in no tax state.
Rent house in CA.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:41 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Homestead in no tax state.
Rent house in CA.
Although you may have connections with another state, if your stay in California is for other than a temporary or transitory purpose, you are a California resident. As a resident, your income from all sources is taxable by California.

They thought of that, Peter.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_1031.pdf
Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

More....

The underlying theory of residency is that you are a resident of the place where you have the closest connections. The following list shows some of the factors you can use to help determine your residency status . Since your residence is usually the place where you have the closest ties, you should compare your ties to California with your ties elsewhere. In using these factors, it is the strength of your ties, not just the number of ties, that determines your residency. This is only a partial list of the factors to consider. No one factor is determinative. Consider all the facts of your particular situation to determine your residency status.

Factors to consider are as follows:
• Amount of time you spend in California versus amount of time you spend outside California .
• Location of your spouse/RDP and children .
• Location of your principal residence .
• State that issued your driver’s license.
• State where your vehicles are registered .
• State where you maintain your professional licenses .
• State where you are registered to vote .
• Location of the banks where you maintain accounts .
• The origination point of your financial transactions .
• Location of your medical professionals and other healthcare providers (doctors, dentists etc .), accountants, and attorneys .
• Location of your social ties, such as your place of worship, professional associations, or social and country clubs of which you are a member .
• Location of your real property and investments .
• Permanence of your work assignments in California .
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

To say that Boulder puts almost every university in California to shame is an understatement.
No knock on Boulder, but saying Boulder puts Stanford, UCLA, USC, Cal, etc. all "to shame" is a wild exaggeration. I think almost any college rankings publication would agree. I think you are confusing quality of school with value/accessibility of the education it provides and competitiveness of admissions.

Your anecdote about the UCLA grad not finding great work is also a very very limited and perhaps biased data point. There are plenty of UCLA grads out there doing perfectly fine in the job market.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

"I can attest to this personally.. almost everyone I meet here is really really smart. The random drunk girl at the bar is a PhD... you can turn in the other direction and someone is deep into "drunk" conversation about biotech, cancer treatments, or some other tech. and these are knowledgeable and in-depth convos. you simply can't this concentration of intelligence anywhere in the world. When i travel outside of the bay area, it's starkly apparent how the average individual is relatively uneducated, focused on sports or some other diversion, and simply not able to maintain the level of convo you get from the "average" bay area encounter. This is not an elitist type of comment, it's simply the self-evident truth, and a fascinating example of the Pareto Effect in action."

I respectfully disagree. NYC, Boston and LA - among others - are loaded with intelligent people. It is really the company you keep as much as anything. There are super sharp people from sea to shining sea. Honestly, I feel like I come across as many homeless people in the Financial district of SF as I do brainiacs. That place is teeming with homeless drug addicts who **** and crap on the street. It is a shame - I love SF but every time I go, it looks more and more dilapidated. LA has a terrible homeless crisis as well but to say everyone in SF and Silicone Valley is a genius is definitely an over-generalization.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

More....

The underlying theory of residency is that you are a resident of the place where you have the closest connections. The following list shows some of the factors you can use to help determine your residency status . Since your residence is usually the place where you have the closest ties, you should compare your ties to California with your ties elsewhere. In using these factors, it is the strength of your ties, not just the number of ties, that determines your residency. This is only a partial list of the factors to consider. No one factor is determinative. Consider all the facts of your particular situation to determine your residency status.

Factors to consider are as follows:
• Amount of time you spend in California versus amount of time you spend outside California .
• Location of your spouse/RDP and children .
• Location of your principal residence .
• State that issued your driver’s license.
• State where your vehicles are registered .
• State where you maintain your professional licenses .
• State where you are registered to vote .
• Location of the banks where you maintain accounts .
• The origination point of your financial transactions .
• Location of your medical professionals and other healthcare providers (doctors, dentists etc .), accountants, and attorneys .
• Location of your social ties, such as your place of worship, professional associations, or social and country clubs of which you are a member .
• Location of your real property and investments .
• Permanence of your work assignments in California .
Do you know if this policy applies to non-Americans (citizens, green card, whatever else)?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Although you may have connections with another state, if your stay in California is for other than a temporary or transitory purpose, you are a California resident. As a resident, your income from all sources is taxable by California.

They thought of that, Peter.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_1031.pdf
Thats 13 pages without pictures and tons of words.
I dont have my accountant and attorney handy, but if you stay less then 6 months or rent in company name..
Surely there’s a way.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
No knock on Boulder, but saying Boulder puts Stanford, UCLA, USC, Cal, etc. all "to shame" is a wild exaggeration. I think almost any college rankings publication would agree. I think you are confusing quality of school with value/accessibility of the education it provides and competitiveness of admissions.

Your anecdote about the UCLA grad not finding great work is also a very very limited and perhaps biased data point. There are plenty of UCLA grads out there doing perfectly fine in the job market.
Yeah, i wasn’t talking about academics. Of course those schools rank higher than CU. But the beauty of the campus and overall experience is on another level relative to most California schools. Value is also much better imo. Regarding UCLA, it is a limited data point. But i think it could represent a lot of grads. The fact that she went on Jeopardy only underscores the example. But i understand it is just one data point. No argument.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?