Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 03:38 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm a transplant from the Midwest to NorCal, love it here and hope to never leave. Specifically addressing the things in your post, there are plenty of great driving roads in both SF Bay Area and LA. Several tracks nearby (Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Willow Springs). Lots of great places for a weekend trip, especially if you're into hiking/outdoor activities. Biggest downsides are high COL (especially housing), high taxes, and too crowded (long commutes, lots of traffic). It sounds like you have some flexibility in location, so you can probably avoid most of the negatives.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
That's hilarious. So you mean like San Fran, Oakland, LA, Santa Ana and the list goes on. Plenty of ****holes in Ca. Many are leaving and the residence and in particular the government are blinded by the "weather". First Toyota, HP and then Oracle and Tesla. Those are the ACTUAL taxpayers of the state not the 50% homeless and illegals that don't pay a dime that the state wants to continue to give free stuff to "because it is the right thing to do". They are running out all the good folks. Now they want to even raise the taxes of the "wealthier" folks, again the ones that are contributing to the tax basis. They are continuing to leave in droves. Just announced yesterday they will lose another electoral vote which is awesome. Sadly until people wake up, get rid of the governor and get their **** together CA will continue to decline like what you call the ****hole of NYC.
Dude, enjoy the rest of your life in Kentucky.

California federal taxes make up the deficit that results from your adopted state failing to pay its own way.
The economy of the State of California is the largest in the United States, boasting a $3.2 trillion gross state product as of 2019. If California were a sovereign nation, it would rank as the world's fifth largest economy, ahead of India and behind Germany.

Good riddance to corporations that want to hire and exploit a workforce employing BS "Right to Work" state laws- that have decimated historical blue collar union wages, benefits and pensions- which were the cornerstones that built the rapidly vanishing middle class in the US.

California's "decline" is the envy of flyover states that advocate deregulation, union busting, environmental protection rollbacks and a smaller federal government- all the while holding out their beggarly hands for federal disaster assistance, agricultural subsidies and Social Security benefits.

The cognitive dissonance of states decrying federal government "interference" while accepting inequitable levels of assistance is breathtaking.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-02-2021 at 08:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
gammagoblin (01-14-2021), minoko (01-02-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for the thread and the original poster, this is been very useful to catch up.

Notwithstanding the crowds, the education issues (Rob, most all the kids already in college), the taxes (I hear you, RandyM), and the traffic...

...I’m considering a new job at a company based in downtown Pasadena.

For full disclosure, I have a no-reason-for-complaints life here in a “Zoom Town” in Oregon, cross country skiing, kite boarding, open water swimming, road biking, mountain biking... Heck there’s an even a great racetrack a little over an hour from my house for which I have become a member.

AND, there *may be* no explicit requirement that I be in to California for this job. Given the post pandemic world.

That said, for the success of the role, and interactions with the employees in Pasadena... when/if they move back... I am investigating getting a place in Pasadena.

Primarily for two reasons, one is to potentially purchase in Los Angeles during a Covid related temporary dip in property prices (any?) and the second would be to complement portions of our lifestyle that we do not enjoy here... namely in the winter being able to swim outdoors and road/mtn bike, maybe even kiteboarding. (My wife isn’t into skiing and doesn’t enjoy the gray Oregon winters. She also enjoyed our LA to SFO road trip a year ago.)

We would retain the house in Oregon, probably even keep the 911 here with close access to the track.

The ironic thing is that I was researching switching jobs years ago when my son decided to go to Cal poly in San Luis Obispo. We would have saved $60k (but... pay to play).

The question is where to live in and around Pasadena? I would like access to road biking or mountain biking pretty close, I even noticed the Angeles Crest highway is nearby. Even tho I am a water-based creature, I don’t think it’s worth being any closer to the ocean, and would rather ride my bike to the office. After a swim at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center.

Ideally we would find a downtown condo (with little maintenance) and plan to be there for the winter. I’ve also seen a couple houses whereby I could partially live in the ADU and maybe rent the main house.

A. Is Pasadena worth it? Wait, don’t answer that.

B. In addition to Pasadena, are there other areas nearby, i.e. within 5 miles, of Pasadena that we should consider? E.g. Glendale? NELA? (If I can’t be walking distance to the office, I’d like to have a view of DTLA.)

C. Am I dreaming that prices might be softened? (All my work colleagues are departing CA for Portland in droves. There must be some empty houses down there!)

D. Ok, what about question A?

Last edited by BlackOptic; 01-19-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:52 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

But, "WHY?", you ask. ...Well, besides the job. ...Exhibit A & B???

?

Old 01-20-2021, 12:03 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
But, "WHY?", you ask. ...Well, besides the job. ...Exhibit A & B???

?
Looking forward to hearing responses. We have friends in Pasadena, near the Rose Bowl. So we use Pasadena as the LA base when down there. I don't profess to know the area well but the parts I've seen are quite nice, think there are new condos and towns near old town. Also a decent distance to other things worth doing while in LA area.

Let's see what the experts say, I have thought about buying a vacation place there.

Oregon seems great too, spent a day in Portland and mountain biking in Bend then driving around back to Redmond. But I would choose ÇA.

Last edited by SToronto; 01-20-2021 at 12:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 12:37 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
...Also a decent distance to other things worth doing while in LA area. ...Let's see what the experts say, I have thought about buying a vacation place there...
The real pertinent question is whether now is the time to invest in property in LA? Is COVID a buying opportunity? Or, will middle class continue to flee? (That's the market I can afford.) If I have 5-10 years left to work, then I suspect I'll do OK on the investment... Eventually.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:31 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

The real pertinent question is whether now is the time to invest in property in LA? Is COVID a buying opportunity? Or, will middle class continue to flee? (That's the market I can afford.) If I have 5-10 years left to work, then I suspect I'll do OK on the investment... Eventually.
Good question, answer would be of interest to me too. While I don't follow a lot of US news, from what I've read/heard sounds like COVID has definitely had a major employment impact. But is it impacting the demographic that lives in homes/areas of interest to you? Even if it does, is it impactful enough to cause the sale of a home.

From reading this thread, sounds people leave CA for many reasons that only seem to be getting worse. But from what I can tell those people are people looking to plant family roots and all the things that go with it like work and education. Whereas a number of the issues don't seem like much of a concern for short term vacation/work stints in the county.

For me a location that is close to things of interest, affordable, has private parking, is secure and safe would be important. I especially like the Pasadena location because of the proximity to Angeles Crest. If I bought a vacation place there the proximity to driving roads would be a factor for sure.

Hopefully some experienced folks will chime in. Calling @usctrojanGT3 (I think he's in real estate).
The following 2 users liked this post by SToronto:
BlackOptic (01-20-2021), The_Backmarker (07-28-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:03 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

both NW Pasadena (around the rose bowl) and NE Glendale (chevy chase country club) are very nice and very affordably priced with great views and great canyon roads in front of your house

both also offer legendary architecture in their houses if that matters to you from cali craftsman to case study mid century

one of the forum members designs houses in the area like this one
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-10195#photo0
BlackOptic (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Good question, answer would be of interest to me too. While I don't follow a lot of US news, from what I've read/heard sounds like COVID has definitely had a major employment impact. But is it impacting the demographic that lives in homes/areas of interest to you? Even if it does, is it impactful enough to cause the sale of a home.

From reading this thread, sounds people leave CA for many reasons that only seem to be getting worse. But from what I can tell those people are people looking to plant family roots and all the things that go with it like work and education. Whereas a number of the issues don't seem like much of a concern for short term vacation/work stints in the county.

For me a location that is close to things of interest, affordable, has private parking, is secure and safe would be important. I especially like the Pasadena location because of the proximity to Angeles Crest. If I bought a vacation place there the proximity to driving roads would be a factor for sure.

Hopefully some experienced folks will chime in. Calling @usctrojanGT3 (I think he's in real estate).
covid has only caused increases in prices for houses as interest rates remain at historical lows and housing stock is very limited
BlackOptic (01-20-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:19 PM
merstling
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Palm Springs is brutally hot in the summer. I love PS but stay away during hot months.
LA is a giant traffic jam. Lots to do and see but stay off the freeways especially the 405.
Central Coast is one of my favorite areas. San Louis Obispo is a great location with lots of retirees. Easy drive to Santa Barbara and Big Sur and Monterey.

Good luck in your search.

Mark
Old 07-22-2021, 04:59 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Just came across this recent article in the Atlantic which made me think of this thread. An interesting and thoughtful read about California, where it's going, and how it got there.

So, checking in, how are things for California's Rennlisters 6 months later?
  • Gas taxes have increased even more to now the highest in the country.
  • Cars with non-factory or tuned ECU's will not be allowed to renew their registration.
  • Fire season and triple degree temps starting even earlier than last year.

The following 2 users liked this post by mchrono:
Liste-Renn (07-22-2021), The_Backmarker (07-28-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 07:08 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
Just came across this recent article in the Atlantic which made me think of this thread. An interesting and thoughtful read about California, where it's going, and how it got there.

So, checking in, how are things for California's Rennlisters 6 months later?
  • Gas taxes have increased even more to now the highest in the country.
  • Cars with non-factory or tuned ECU's will not be allowed to renew their registration.
  • Fire season and triple degree temps starting even earlier than last year.
whats a gas tax?
the ecu thing means nothing as most tunes dont change the checksums that the test will look for
haven't seen a single fire yet and my office is about 70 year around and sunny and my house 8 miles away is about 75 and sunny both in LA have yet to see over 90 here in LA this summer
any other concerns for this great state that runs this nation of ours?

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?