Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:45 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Man, didn’t realize I live in such a lousy state.
Lmao... My thoughts exactly. Different strokes. Bottomline is that the population here is only increasing.

Smaller homes are being bought and torn down all over the neighborhoods here and large 3-10M+ homes are being built in their place. There is construction and new developments everywhere (at least here on the west side). They can't build housing fast enough. Sure there are cons to being here and I would never try to convince anyone to move here. We don't need more people lol.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:15 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Lmao... My thoughts exactly. Different strokes. Bottomline is that the population here is only increasing.

Smaller homes are being bought and torn down all over the neighborhoods here and large 3-10M+ homes are being built in their place. There is construction and new developments everywhere (at least here on the west side). They can't build housing fast enough. Sure there are cons to being here and I would never try to convince anyone to move here. We don't need more people lol.
Population increasing? More like decreasing in Kalifornia?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/19/californians-fed-up-with-housing-costs-and-taxes-are-fleeing-state.html
Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Population increasing? More like decreasing in Kalifornia?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/19/californians-fed-up-with-housing-costs-and-taxes-are-fleeing-state.html
I was referring to Los Angeles.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone here in the Conejo Valley / Calabasas area? I literally just moved 4 weeks ago to Westlake/North Ranch and so far am loving it. Traffic is great, 5 mins to Malibu mountains etc etc.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by _fletch
Anyone here in the Conejo Valley / Calabasas area? I literally just moved 4 weeks ago to Westlake/North Ranch and so far am loving it. Traffic is great, 5 mins to Malibu mountains etc etc.
Not in the Calabasas area but I’m in Malibu pretty much every weekend for some canyon driving. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are interested in doing a drive!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Marker1
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m in Calabasas. Have loved biking and driving in these canyons for the last 40 years. Now splitting time between here and Newport Beach. Only downside of the valley is the summer heat which goes on and on. As soon as the canyon roads clear up from the rains it will be a great spring!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:07 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't rule out San Diego. Beautiful city, near-perfect weather, close enough to some incredible canyon roads like Ortega. Not terribly far from LA either, should you be so keen to visit.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
For the cost of living in California you could move to Florida and live like kings.
humidity

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Man, didn’t realize I live in such a lousy state.
don't tell ppl that
let the rest leave
they are just confused
like saying Porsches are $

someone mentioned public / private school
don't open that can of worm
I went public. every college/grad program I applied I got in.
now my kids going to elementary, looked and tried both pub and private, all suck
too protective.
if the kid sucked, tell them YOU SUCK
in both pub and private. they tell them it's ok to suck. sorry not how I do things.
goto school come home finish your HW, and come to me, I will give you more HW to do.
they know daddy says this every day 'if you think you are done with your work, that's only bc you decide not to do other work. see the car out there? clean it. see your mom cooking? learn it. see I do dishes, how about you do it. see the broken sprinkler? go fix it. is the laundry done? maybe you should get it done. the best school is THE PARENT.

yes, education degraded, and drives me fkg nuts.

back to regular programming.

san Diego
OC
scottsdale
portland, If u don't mind rain 364 days a year
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
humidity

don't tell ppl that
let the rest leave
they are just confused
like saying Porsches are $

someone mentioned public / private school
don't open that can of worm
I went public. every college/grad program I applied I got in.
now my kids going to elementary, looked and tried both pub and private, all suck
too protective.
if the kid sucked, tell them YOU SUCK
in both pub and private. they tell them it's ok to suck. sorry not how I do things.
goto school come home finish your HW, and come to me, I will give you more HW to do.
they know daddy says this every day 'if you think you are done with your work, that's only bc you decide not to do other work. see the car out there? clean it. see your mom cooking? learn it. see I do dishes, how about you do it. see the broken sprinkler? go fix it. is the laundry done? maybe you should get it done. the best school is THE PARENT.

yes, education degraded, and drives me fkg nuts.

back to regular programming.

san Diego
OC
scottsdale
portland, If u don't mind rain 364 days a year
Mooty. I agree with parenting. We are dragon parents here and have high achieving children. BTW, Portland rains only 150 days but is otherwise wonderful.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Parenting is always a factor, no question. But two of our daughter’s best friends in HB have very good parents, and both are still trying to finish college three years after our daughter graduated from CU. Why? Impossible to get the prerequisite classes they need to take other classes. This was a problem 25 years ago, and it is a major reason why kids take 5,6,7 years to graduate from the CSU system.

Here is more anecdotal information. Our niece graduated from UCLA. Super smart. Made it on Jeopardy smart. Great personality too. Very outgoing. She struggled to find employment after graduating. Ended up taking a job making $40k. Now 35 she just bought a house with her boyfriend (parents helped), where she now faces 1.5 hours commuting each way. Nephew graduated from UCI. Also very smart. Also struggled to find work, but ended up going back to school for nursing. Now in his 30s, he is finally making $90k per year. Can afford an apartment with two roommates at the moment.

Of all of the members of our family i would consider these two the brightest. We took them to Europe with us many years ago. Really great kids. But, look at the struggles they have had to get their careers going? And look at the impossible situation they are in to try to live what i would call the American dream? Long daily commutes. Impossible real estate prices. It just wasn’t like this 25 years ago. The thought of leaving the house at 6am only to get back at 6:30 or 7pm just doesn’t sound great to me. That is not living. The only sunshine they are experiencing is out the windshield of their car in bumper to bumper traffic.

Our daughter was more a social butterfly. Cheerleader, super popular, decent student (3.2 GPA in HS), but she wanted the full experience in high school and college. My attitude was go experience college. Get our money’s worth. She joined the big sorority, went to the big games, got a solid education with state-of-the-art facilities, did all the pregame parties, was very involved in the make a wish foundation, and honestly got an experience she was never going to get in California.

Here is her sorority house at CU...

Here is CU Boulder.

Had we stayed in HB and she went to CSUF or Long Beach State what would her future look like now? Would Google have even bothered to interview her? I have 5 pretty solid data points to look at and the real difference is our daughter left California public schools, moved to Colorado, got a real college experience, then came back and got hired by Google. She stood out with that CU degree, and then did the rest during the interviews. Now at 25 she is way ahead of the other 4. Two still haven’t graduated. Can’t get classes! So common in California. One has a UCLA degree and now makes $65k, and lives on the freeway commuting. The other makes $90k but has little hope of owning a home anytime soon.

When we left California there was this attitude amongst them that we were making a huge mistake. California is the best, what are you doing? You do what you have to do for your kids. Again, it wasn’t like this 25 years ago.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by robmypro
One has a UCLA degree and now makes $65k, and lives on the freeway commuting. The other makes $90k but has little hope of owning a home anytime soon.
CA/LA is not a place to try and live if you are a "low-income earner". San Francisco is even worse and claims that a low-income earner is anyone who makes under $117k... There are plenty of other places where you could live like a king on a 117k salary.

There are so many other cities/states that are much better suited for someone that makes a respectable income of 50k to 100k annually. Personally, I don't think you should consider Los Angeles unless the annual household income is at least 200k to 250k. You won't live in a desirable area, you will likely have a long daily commute, and the higher living costs will be much more noticeable.

There are a lot of reasons to choose CA and there are also a lot of reason not to as well. Everyone has different goals, preferences, experiences, and circumstances that will influence whether or not a decision to live in a particular place will either increase or decrease their happiness. Go and live where you are happy. My wife and I really love CA/LA and find that we are overall happier here. If that changes one day, we will move but there is no way we expect anyone to share our feelings since these decisions are extremely personal and based on so many factors that will vary from person to person.

If you guys think housing is so bad here... try living in NYC...
Old 03-11-2019, 11:51 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by phow
CA/LA is not a place to try and live if you are a "low-income earner". San Francisco is even worse and claims that a low-income earner is anyone who makes under $117k... There are plenty of other places where you could live like a king on a 117k salary.

There are so many other cities/states that are much better suited for someone that makes a respectable income of 50k to 100k annually. Personally, I don't think you should consider Los Angeles unless the annual household income is at least 200k to 250k. You won't live in a desirable area, you will likely have a long daily commute, and the higher living costs will be much more noticeable.

There are a lot of reasons to choose CA and there are also a lot of reason not to as well. Everyone has different goals, preferences, experiences, and circumstances that will influence whether or not a decision to live in a particular place will either increase or decrease their happiness. Go and live where you are happy. My wife and I really love CA/LA and find that we are overall happier here. If that changes one day, we will move but there is no way we expect anyone to share our feelings since these decisions are extremely personal and based on so many factors that will vary from person to person.

If you guys think housing is so bad here... try living in NYC...
Very true. So many variables! As long as you are happy where you are that is all that matters. But the OP wanted some opinions, and in typical RL fashion we weren’t shy! lol

The key if you are moving somewhere (or considering it) is to have your eyes wide open. California does offer a lot of big positives, but you need to fully understand the negatives, which are also huge. There’s no free lunch anywhere. Only you can decide which factors matter the most to you.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 PM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by robmypro

Very true. So many variables! As long as you are happy where you are that is all that matters. But the OP wanted some opinions, and in typical RL fashion we weren’t shy! lol

The key if you are moving somewhere (or considering it) is to have your eyes wide open. California does offer a lot of big positives, but you need to fully understand the negatives, which are also huge. There’s no free lunch anywhere. Only you can decide which factors matter the most to you.
Agreed. That's why I have been harping on the recommended minimum income and housing costs in so many of my responses. I think these are two things that really catch a lot of people by surprise when they make the move out here from places that cost 3-4x times less. In other places in the country, if the most desirable areas are too expensive, you can usually find another option 15-30 minutes away in a nice safe neighborhood that fits your budget. That's just unfortunately not the case here.

There is a reason 50k people move to LA per month and 50% of them move back within the first 12 months It's definitely not for everyone and if anything, I'm more discouraging to people that ask me about moving here than I am encouraging. The last thing I want to see is someone make the financial efforts to relocate here, just so they can turn around and go back...
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I lived in OC from 18-24 years old during the dotcom boom. The best place to live when you're making too much money and are single. It gets difficult juggling so many women as they're everywhere and even go for nice guys, funny guys, whatever guys. There are just too many of them.

Other than that, there's no way I would go back. The traffic and cost of living was insane (must be a lot worse now).
Old 03-11-2019, 12:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by tonymission
I lived in OC from 18-24 years old during the dotcom boom. The best place to live when you're making too much money and are single. It gets difficult juggling so many women as they're everywhere and even go for nice guys, funny guys, whatever guys. There are just too many of them.

Other than that, there's no way I would go back. The traffic and cost of living was insane (must be a lot worse now).
That is a good point about the women. Seriously, in Ohio the best looking woman I ever saw was a solid 7 in California. In fact, the women are so good looking and in such abundance, that unless you are a real disaster you can find a really good looking one. I am not tall, not dark and not really handsome, yet I was dating a poster girl for the Long Beach Grand Prix. We are talking smoking hot. Then I met my wife, who herself is still smoking hot. In Ohio I would have probably ended up with a 200 pound sweat hog that worked as a phone sex technician.

Find a good one, then get out.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?