Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I really hate reading stuff like this. States ranked for retirement. Giving way too many people ideas.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

yeah, Rob, I'm not sure why you;re posting that as I know you don't want any more people getting ideas about moving to Colorado......
Old 04-29-2019, 06:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
yeah, Rob, I'm not sure why you;re posting that as I know you don't want any more people getting ideas about moving to Colorado......
I guess I make an exception for the guys here. But this data isn't helping in the big scheme of things!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

you can keep your colorados, your pacific northwests and your arizonas.
California Uber Alles!!!

Old 04-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hey that's on you if you choose to sit in that ****.

There is no better place for roads, driving, clubs, tracks, events, tours, socials, etc for a car enthusiast.

I'm not making a statement on the **** politics. But I have a very high tolerance for this in order to enjoy my cars on amazing roads and tracks 365 days a year.

Originally Posted by mchrono
All sorts of new taxes and fees each year, and regardless whether they are constitutional or not (quite a few have been struck down as unconstitutional), Sacramento passes close to 1,000 new laws every year. I think you would need a very large creative staff just to come up with 1,000 new laws each year, so who has time to check for unintended consequences. The pace does not seem to be slowing down. Its an amazing experiment as to just how highly taxed and regulated a society can become.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Love the California traffic pictures, as if the traffic isn't awful in every major metropolitan area in the U.S. Very easy to avoid the traffic in CA most of the time, and here in NorCal we actually have public transportation that works.

Colorado is great if you want snow for months, a relatively short summer and housing that really isn't that cheap when you consider what you're actually getting. We considered Colorado for retirement, but wasn't enamored by the housing style/value proposition for the money. It was on the short list of only a few states we'd even consider living in at this point though but I couldn't get excited about the winters.

The QoL rankings are nonsense, as the most important factors for QoL for many people are things that can't be quantified. The simple fact that almost 40 million people live in this most populous state in the U.S. with by far the largest economy, and a lot more would live here if they could afford it. That's not typically what happens in a place that's the suckage. I honestly wish that 10 million of them would leave, but it's just not happening.

Reading those state ranking things is like reading a car comparison where they rate the Camaro over the 720S because the Chevy's cheaper.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Love the California traffic pictures, as if the traffic isn't awful in every major metropolitan area in the U.S. Very easy to avoid the traffic in CA most of the time, and here in NorCal we actually have public transportation that works.

Colorado is great if you want snow for months, a relatively short summer and housing that really isn't that cheap when you consider what you're actually getting. We considered Colorado for retirement, but wasn't enamored by the housing style/value proposition for the money. It was on the short list of only a few states we'd even consider living in at this point though but I couldn't get excited about the winters.

The QoL rankings are nonsense, as the most important factors for QoL for many people are things that can't be quantified. The simple fact that almost 40 million people live in this most populous state in the U.S. with by far the largest economy, and a lot more would live here if they could afford it. That's not typically what happens in a place that's the suckage. I honestly wish that 10 million of them would leave, but it's just not happening.

Reading those state ranking things is like reading a car comparison where they rate the Camaro over the 720S because the Chevy's cheaper.
I agree that there are so many variables that go into determining QoL. And those variables have to be evaluated through each person's eyes.

As far as snow goes, we are getting show right now! LOL. But Colorado winters are not what you probably think they are. Look at the forecast.

It is totally bi-polar here. But that isn't bad. We can get some snow, but then we have nice days right after it. This is typical through most of our winters. I think last year I didn't go one week all year without getting the GT3 out, and I don't drive it below 40 F. So not all winters are the same. Housing is expensive now. It has almost doubled since we moved here 10 years ago.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 PM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

California is great. Sounds like some are complaining about laws and taxes. Yes, here in California we have laws and taxes. But I live in Hollywood and can leave my house at 6:30 AM, drive to one of the best roads in the world (Angeles Crest) deep into the middle of nowhereseville mountains and be home by 9:00 AM. Then I can go surfing. And at the end of the day I can go to one of a hundred world class restaurants within a 10 mile radius of my house. Or I can go to a movie premiere or a nighttime swim in a pool because it’s warm enough, all the time. And then the next day I can go to Mammoth and ski one of the best mountains in the country. And my job is great and I couldn’t do it in any other place because my industry is centered here. And I live in the second biggest city in the country, only a few short miles from my office, but I have a nice house with a yard, not an apartment on some 34th floor above a loud midtown street with garbage on the sidewalk.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep! That pretty much sums up Colorado. Please pass along the word to everyone. All of us in Colorado would appreciate it. State is full. LOL. Thankfully, they let me in but forgot to close the door.
Thank you.

Last edited by dave292; 04-29-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: edit
Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, Colorado is the best. The rest of us are just too dumb, lazy, and broke to move there. In fact, I didn't even know CO existed until I was painfully reminded 976 (soon to be 977) times. You should always trust data that ranks FL and SD as top places to retire. You couldn't pay me enough to live in either of those states. And, since that is accurate, I guess CO is just as bad. Oh, that's right, the state is full. I was so close to moving there, especially after Yahoo Finance, i.e., the pinnacle of objective data, posted I should move there.

98729734 posts all to say that whatever each person likes is the best.

Hi, I'm objectivity, logic and reason, have we met? No, I don't think so. Why? Because everything I like is the best.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

What about Kentucky?.. I gathered from this thread from someone who's experience seemed quite localized, that Kentucky is nice?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Yes, Colorado is the best. The rest of us are just too dumb, lazy, and broke to move there. In fact, I didn't even know CO existed until I was painfully reminded 976 (soon to be 977) times. You should always trust data that ranks FL and SD as top places to retire. You couldn't pay me enough to live in either of those states. And, since that is accurate, I guess CO is just as bad. Oh, that's right, the state is full. I was so close to moving there, especially after Yahoo Finance, i.e., the pinnacle of objective data, posted I should move there.

98729734 posts all to say that whatever each person likes is the best.

Hi, I'm objectivity, logic and reason, have we met? No, I don't think so. Why? Because everything I like is the best.
I was born in Calif and loved living there for 60 years. For me, California was the best for those first 60 years and then, it was not. Something is always the best until there is something each of us perceive to be better. "Objectivity, logic, reason and data"? It's all personal taste and experience. California has a lot to offer so enjoy it!
Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I guess I make an exception for the guys here. But this data isn't helping in the big scheme of things!
So many CO natives that I know (maybe 80% of them) are talking about moving out when they retire. CO is becoming Californicated very quickly, IMO. I've notice a big uptick in tailgaiting (a la SoCal) in recent months/years, and even saw motorcycles lane-split the other morning (legal in CA, not in CO).

If you are thinking of moving to CO, I'd move now, as it's quickly becoming another over-crowded metropolis. We still love it, but the trend is in the wrong direction.

We lived in SoCal for 8 years. The only way we'd move back, is if we could afford to live in Newport Beach or Monterey, or Santa Barbara and not have to commute to work. But, for shooting-sports enthusiasts, CA is a disaster, so consider that!

Last edited by Schmed; 04-30-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmed

We lived in SoCal for 8 years. The only way we'd move back, is if we could afford to live in Newport Beach or Monterrey, or Santa Barbara and not have to commute to work. But, for shooting-sports enthusiasts, CA is a disaster, so consider that!
Really? There’s a great sporting clay place 40 minutes from my house. And a few private shooting clubs. And two shooting ranges.

Don’t believe the media headlines. There are millions of guns in CA and plenty of places to shoot them.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 88 Posts

Really? There’s a great sporting clay place 40 minutes from my house. And a few private shooting clubs. And two shooting ranges.

Don’t believe the media headlines. There are millions of guns in CA and plenty of places to shoot them.
I was referring to magazine restrictions, waiting periods, handgun rosters, ammo permit fees, etc. But, I don't want to debate these things on this thread, or we may severely derail the discussion!

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?