Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Unless you’re highly educated and you have money. Then those categories look very different. QoL is very different here if you have money versus not. For the average person, with median income and wealth, California is the wrong place to live.
Agree with you to some degree.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm conflicted...I love the California weather, food, and car scene but can't stand the high taxes and politicians.
Isn't that why you live in Montana?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Isn't that why you live in Montana?
Vacation cabin my friend.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:23 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by CAlexio; 04-26-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:55 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Just got off a plane from LA to home in Chi.. read this entire thread most of the way. Many college and professional friends live in LA/SF and I'm in one of those cities twice monthly for work. I'm envious every time but realize grass isn't always greener. i hear all the good and bad from them. IL is both expensive and broke and Chi is arguably worst major city in the US for car lovers. snow 6 months/yr and second flattest state in US. lived in NYC for 5 years after school. had to get out before it sucked my soul. but it boosted my knowledge and confidence and i traveled a lot in my job to a lot of cities. CA north of LA is hard to beat and Denver CO comes in a close second IMO. i long to own a home in the SB area. Ski in the AM, beach in the afternoon?!? only thing on par is lake life in MI, MN, or WI but they snow 8 months/year.

i dont know any road that beats Hwy 130 from SJ to I5. two HOURS and 60 MILES of twisties up and over the clouds to lick observatory then down into the rolling hills. it has to be fake. saw three cars the whole time. killed the brakes on the rental. i jump at the chance for that 5 hour flight every time.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:02 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Just got off a plane from LA to home in Chi.. read this entire thread most of the way. Many college and professional friends live in LA/SF and I'm in one of those cities twice monthly for work. I'm envious every time but realize grass isn't always greener. i hear all the good and bad from them. IL is both expensive and broke and Chi is arguably worst major city in the US for car lovers. snow 6 months/yr and second flattest state in US. lived in NYC for 5 years after school. had to get out before it sucked my soul. but it boosted my knowledge and confidence and i traveled a lot in my job to a lot of cities. CA north of LA is hard to beat and Denver CO comes in a close second IMO. i long to own a home in the SB area. Ski in the AM, beach in the afternoon?!? only thing on par is lake life in MI, MN, or WI but they snow 8 months/year.

i dont know any road that beats Hwy 130 from SJ to I5. two HOURS and 60 MILES of twisties up and over the clouds to lick observatory then down into the rolling hills. it has to be fake. saw three cars the whole time. killed the brakes on the rental. i jump at the chance for that 5 hour flight every time.
you did that in a rental? .
Old 04-26-2019, 10:49 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Unless you’re highly educated and you have money. Then those categories look very different. QoL is very different here if you have money versus not. For the average person, with median income and wealth, California is the wrong place to live.
Yep, you've got to stay ahead of the curve here.

Monterey, PG, Carmel, Pebble - those cities do it right, Santa Cruz is a magnet for the homeless.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
you did that in a rental? .
Dont be surprised! Ive seen a number of Vegas exotic rentals show up at various Spring Mountain open track days over the years. One guy even bought an extra set of brake pads for his rental ahead of time just in case!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:06 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Dont be surprised! Ive seen a number of Vegas exotic rentals show up at various Spring Mountain open track days over the years. One guy even bought an extra set of brake pads for his rental ahead of time just in case!
lol,

champagne dreams on the champagne of beers budget. The road he’s talking about is difficult, lots of hairpins and poor pavement. I’ve taken my GTS on it a few times, I always hear scraping from the undercarriage. The section on the backside of the mountain to I5 is spectacular though. Mines Road, doing that this Sunday.

The first time I drove up CA state 130 I got caught up in the Amgen tour of California
Old 04-27-2019, 01:39 PM
jte
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings, I just saw your post, I have a home in Palm Springs area from November to May happy to share my knowledge of the area. We have a great group of Porsche enthusiasts both vintage and GT cars, great local tracks. Send me a private email, and we can exchange contact info
Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I love reading stuff like

If silicon valley and hollywood weren't there...

If there wasn't so much snow...

Just as detached as:

If the whole country went vegan all the dairy farmers and meat companies would die. 10-20% of the trucking industry would be unemployed. If those farms converted to profitable and scarce crops then just by increasing production it would then render that type of crop oversupplied, crushing profits, land value, etc

Point being: it's all this or all that. We can't cherry pick only the good stuff. Only way to do that is move between pebble beach, scottsdale, colorado, jackson hole, austin etc.

Deal with the downsides for sure but some states are super insulated lifestyle and location wise- big cities are their own ecosystems and echo chambers - especially in a state with huge land mass or varied altitudes/ weather.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:22 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Born in small town close to OKC. Spent 24+ years in the USAF, last 4 years stationed at Vandenberg AFB, CA. Retired and moved back to OKC. Low cost of living here allowed me to get everything paid for, including two new pcars, and fully retire. If I had stayed in CA probably wouldn't own one pcar unless still working. If you have a CCW you can kiss that goodbye. You might not be able to move guns you currently legally own into CA due to more restrictive gun laws. Have lots of friends who still live in CA, they constantly complain about the ever increasing taxes and crazy attitudes, calling it the "Cereal State … the people who aren't fruits or flakes are nuts!". Admit CA is a beautiful place, Yosemite, PCH1 San Simeon to Carmel, etc., but I don't want to afford to live there. Not all parts of CA have beautiful weather 365, Vandenberg had salt water fog daily, very corrosive. If money was no issue, would live in Santa Barbara, not much fog and far enough away from OC. OC traffic is torture and the homeless problem is growing exponentially. Nearly 7000 are now homeless in OC
Old 04-29-2019, 01:23 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Being a car enthusiast in California sucks.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:17 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoking Rotors
Well if taxes were lower and politicians were good, the U.S. would stand on it's edge and sink into the Pacific from everyone coming here. The expense and noise keep the place from being overrun.
Very true.

I moved here 35 years ago from New York - immediately north of Manhattan - think: lots of woods. Now I get polarizing responses when travelling and people find out I live in California. It's either "That's awesome - such a beautiful place" or, more often than not, "I hate California, there's so much...blah, blah". I ask "Have you ever been there?" "Nope, but I hear things". So much for actually experiencing things and forming your own opinion...

While the best things in life are free, the next best stuff is expensive - really expensive.

Last edited by KM1959; 04-29-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:03 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
.............If you have a CCW you can kiss that goodbye. You might not be able to move guns you currently legally own into CA due to more restrictive gun laws. Have lots of friends who still live in CA, they constantly complain about the ever increasing taxes and crazy attitudes, calling it the "Cereal State … the people who aren't fruits or flakes are nuts!".........
All sorts of new taxes and fees each year, and regardless whether they are constitutional or not (quite a few have been struck down as unconstitutional), Sacramento passes close to 1,000 new laws every year. I think you would need a very large creative staff just to come up with 1,000 new laws each year, so who has time to check for unintended consequences. The pace does not seem to be slowing down. Its an amazing experiment as to just how highly taxed and regulated a society can become.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Being a car enthusiast in California sucks.

I disagree. Being a car enthusiast in California is awesome

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?