Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I grew up on the East Coast, lived in the Midwest and I’m now settled out here in CA. Personally I don’t find the taxes in Cali that much worse that NY or MA but on the plus side we have this year round.. First pic is the backyard, second are some trails that’s about 15 minutes from the house, third are the canyons which are about 35 minutes from the house. Traffic isn’t bad if you stay away from the LA basin.

Yes it costs more to live here but if you take advantage of what is available to you then it’s easily worth it. If you don’t spend time outdoors it gets harder to justify
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Whew finally finished this thread.

Grew up in Huntington Beach. Noticed really early on the value or lack thereof in a dollar. Saw some family members REALLY struggle (money, drugs, death etc) and some REALLY thrive (happy marriages, jobs, procreation) . Realized it has nothing to do with starting location and everything to do with attitude. But it is expensive and as 'A Car Dreamer' I knew my exotics would not buy themselves and I had to compromise and work smart and hard and tirelessly. I needed to make a lot of money. It was always a motivator. And UNLIKE Aunt Becky's kid- school was important and a means to an end. I NEVER wanted to have the college lifestyle. Don't care about sorority girls or whatever. Don't care about football.

Figured I'd play sports because it pays regardless of macroecon cycle. Loved watching the Lakers in 1980's-1990's. Have always loved California weather. But i decided baseball fit better than other sports so I decided that was the deal. No plan B, outside of getting great grades.

Lots of lessons young-

Booms and busts- mom was a mortgage broker, realtor, handy-lady and home improver. She got smoked in a hit and run accident...twice. She got hammered by S+L scandal/ DJIA crashed...she buckled down and came back each time. Her dad, my Grandfather was a mathematician and taught me to day trade as a 12 year old. So I hustled to mow lawns, saved up chore money and range traded through high school so I could buy a car. (GOALS)

Life goals are the primary driver of your focus and your efforts. Some people want to live on a lake, or be a lawyer. I wanted outcomes and knew that I needed certain process and success ratios or would never increase my chances or progress.

When I was a little kid, mom put me in Montessori. But S+L crisis and wham she lost a lot and then I'm in public school. Diverse cast in Socal. All races. Tons of languages. Lots of chances to get in trouble. Goals and motivation pushed me through hard times, and eventually through injuries that only desire to live the good life could keep me focused on.

I always had a 3.6-3.9GPA and scored a 34/36 ACT. Fountain Valley High School. In 1997-1998 our school was one of the top 20 academic schools in country. My GPA didn't even get me in top 1/4 of my graduating class! We had 4 kids get perfect SAT scores. But I also Played sports. Never had a hard time finding AP classes to take, in CA public high school I took AP Math, science, english, etc each semester. Used to sleep through AP Chemistry and still got a B+. Got in to every school I applied at: Dartmouth, Stanford, USC, Pepperdine, etc. Great grades and test scores but broke parents, Ivy League would have been cool but who cares. No money so I went to Junior College in Santa Ana (ghetto) and got a job. Anyone who says you can't get your classes and credits to advance in HS or College is not looking at whole picture...you make yourself. Not the teacher. You dig deeper to prove a point. Get smarter to challenge yourself. Destroy competition. Give the teacher an apple and maybe get tipped off about a pop quiz day before. Real world is about strategy and smarts!

Got a 3.8GPA taking 20+ units and was working on a triple major (no hot girls at Santa Ana College, they all go to Orange Coast College). I only cared about achieving the big goals. Eventually got my full ride to LMU (even after a lumbar stress fracture) and was astonished with how spoiled those pr-&k rich kids were. I was there on merit. They were mostly there for parties and proximity. I left early but could have pursued my other passion which was screenwriting and film.

Once I got a little money I began both buying cool cars and investing in cash flow properties in Orange County. Made it at 24 to MLB and gave up on the TV / Film backup plan. Then I moved to Texas and started buying more cars (more salary and no state income tax!). Bought a condo in Dallas in 2006. Thought I was so smart. "Real estate will make me rich"

2002: bought condo 335k in Huntington Beach. Rented it out, sold in 2018 for 605,000

2005, deposit on condo in Dallas for 500. Rented it, lived in it, rented it...
2019, probably selling for 405k. A loss that's
Only offset by the CGT worth of taxes I saved
While working in Dallas.

Home Tax in Texas is no joke. 2.1-2.7% housing tax! Plus, too much land. Even in Dallas- they just keep building. No scarcity. Dallas housing is like Aston Martin. Gorgeous stuff, no appreciation unless it's a weird unique one. Unless you keep house to buy cool guns etc no benefit to own!! Its a money pit to buy there.

CA real estate in:

SD
OC
LA
SB
pebble
SF

All expensive $/sq ft

But that's because that is either the most desirable spot to live or highest earning jobs nearby. I love the CA lifestyle and food. Only NYC can compare food wise.

I live in fresno now, left all the traffic behind. House is 2.5x size and 6 car garage for about 10-15% cost of my house in Corona Del Mar. LA, SF, Pebble, Sonoma all within a drive. My commute is 5-8 min. My daughter's school 6 min away. Love the food here (farm to belly). 3 tracks in 3 hours, 6 tracks in 5 hrs. It's hot here in Summer but not AZ hot.

I have lived in
CA
Az
VA
Tx
Ga
Fl
Ny
Ok

I'd only consider long term job or to live in 10-15 cities nationwide...nowhere is perfect. Austin, Scottsdale, Denver/Boulder, Pebble, CdM, Encinitas, Beverly Hills, Palisades, La Jolla Shores, Carmel Valley...only places I'd live forever and not want to travel a ton. I travel a ton now...but I like Fresno more then Dallas or Savannah, Georgia.

Goal now: grow the dealership group and end up owning a place in Pebble Beach. I like Pebble, it's like everything I love about Laguna and Montecito and Manhattan Beach but devoid of the density that crushes your spirit in traffic.

Whoever is still reading at this point, sorry.

Goal Lifestyle? That's the only thing that should motivate you to move. Forget the chatter about politics etc. We're on the GT3 forum. We'll have a bad day or week and go for a drive and smile. Can you recruit more friends locally to your car club? I don't want to talk too much in big groups- would rather go drive, go work, go make pancakes for my family. Have to work where working is most lucrative...otherwise you are working while wearing handcuffs. The job pays for the quality of life.
Thanks for sharing your story CJ! I visit Fresno often and the north end is really nice without the congestion of Southern California.

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
traffic and taxes, sure... but the weather and lifestyle is unbeatable. i say go for it OP!
And let’s not forget that recent US News & World Report quality of life index:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...uality-of-life

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Another way to look at it - one has has appreciated > 100% while the other < 50% in the last 10 years. Yet, another way - one is been in the market for 40 days while the other is still sitting after 450 days... And yet another way, one is in the back yard of Apple and Netflix and the job opportunities that go with it, while the other is?
Sitting at 450 days its way overpriced. Their problem, but huge employment in the area:

http://www.planotexas.org/133/Leading-Employers

https://www.frisco.com/majoremployers/

Originally Posted by robmypro
This thread does have legs lol.

Let’s say your budget is $2 million. Property taxes in Texas would probably be $50k per year. California would be around $25k. Income taxes in Texas would be zero. In California you would easily spend an extra $25k on income taxes. But, and this is a big but...when are you planning on retiring? Because if your taxable income drops way down in retirement the lower property taxes / higher state income taxes makes a lot of sense. You can also move to Texas or Florida, bank a lot of income tax savings, buy a modest house, then pivot to a higher income tax state when you retire.

A lot of ways to play it.
My way of seeing this is more along the lines of the type of house you need at your particular stage in life (square footage, # of beds and baths, garage / shop space, etc.) and then go from there. It’s admittedly an oversimplification, but my experience is that hypothetical house in Cali will cost at least double what it would in the lower-tax parts of the country.

That being the case, the CA house will cost $2.5m with taxes at $25k per year, and the TX house will cost $1.25m and have the same taxes at $25k per year. In this example, I would rather have less tied up in the non-income producing real estate. Assuming both are good construction and good location, I do not buy into the CA house appreciating more. CA high end has been slipping since the new tax law took effect, and look at where the money is going:

https://www.howmoneywalks.com/irs-tax-migration/
Old 04-19-2019, 08:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
And let’s not forget that recent US News & World Report quality of life index:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...uality-of-life

Sitting at 450 days its way overpriced. Their problem, but huge employment in the area:

http://www.planotexas.org/133/Leading-Employers

https://www.frisco.com/majoremployers/

My way of seeing this is more along the lines of the type of house you need at your particular stage in life (square footage, # of beds and baths, garage / shop space, etc.) and then go from there. It’s admittedly an oversimplification, but my experience is that hypothetical house in Cali will cost at least double what it would in the lower-tax parts of the country.

That being the case, the CA house will cost $2.5m with taxes at $25k per year, and the TX house will cost $1.25m and have the same taxes at $25k per year. In this example, I would rather have less tied up in the non-income producing real estate. Assuming both are good construction and good location, I do not buy into the CA house appreciating more. CA high end has been slipping since the new tax law took effect, and look at where the money is going:

https://www.howmoneywalks.com/irs-tax-migration/
Absolutely not surprised Colorado is in the top 10. But seeing Colorado bright green on that tax migration map is gut-wrenching. Easily saw 10 California plates today. Maybe 5 from Texas. Might as well enjoy Colorado while I can.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:55 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes weather is awesome here, BUT.... had to go from Long Beach to Mira Mesa today for a lunch meeting 85 miles each way. Left LB @9:35 AM got there at 11:50. Left lunch at 2:40 pm got home @ 5PM....but it was beautiful outside...
Old 04-20-2019, 01:29 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 06C2s
Yes weather is awesome here, BUT.... had to go from Long Beach to Mira Mesa today for a lunch meeting 85 miles each way. Left LB @9:35 AM got there at 11:50. Left lunch at 2:40 pm got home @ 5PM....but it was beautiful outside...
Sounds right. I did a similar drive from near San Diego bay to Long Beach for the Grand Prix last Saturday, and it was well over 2 hours one way. I ran into Patrick Long outside after the race, while walking down the street back to my car (took the 958 TT, not the GT car). He was very pleasant and happy to chat as we walked in the same direction. It seems Patrick was there for color commentary for the tv broadcast.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:47 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Whew finally finished this thread.

Grew up in Huntington Beach. Noticed really early on the value or lack thereof in a dollar. Saw some family members REALLY struggle (money, drugs, death etc) and some REALLY thrive (happy marriages, jobs, procreation) . Realized it has nothing to do with starting location and everything to do with attitude. But it is expensive and as 'A Car Dreamer' I knew my exotics would not buy themselves and I had to compromise and work smart and hard and tirelessly. I needed to make a lot of money. It was always a motivator. And UNLIKE Aunt Becky's kid- school was important and a means to an end. I NEVER wanted to have the college lifestyle. Don't care about sorority girls or whatever. Don't care about football.

Figured I'd play sports because it pays regardless of macroecon cycle. Loved watching the Lakers in 1980's-1990's. Have always loved California weather. But i decided baseball fit better than other sports so I decided that was the deal. No plan B, outside of getting great grades.

Lots of lessons young-

Booms and busts- mom was a mortgage broker, realtor, handy-lady and home improver. She got smoked in a hit and run accident...twice. She got hammered by S+L scandal/ DJIA crashed...she buckled down and came back each time. Her dad, my Grandfather was a mathematician and taught me to day trade as a 12 year old. So I hustled to mow lawns, saved up chore money and range traded through high school so I could buy a car. (GOALS)

Life goals are the primary driver of your focus and your efforts. Some people want to live on a lake, or be a lawyer. I wanted outcomes and knew that I needed certain process and success ratios or would never increase my chances or progress.

When I was a little kid, mom put me in Montessori. But S+L crisis and wham she lost a lot and then I'm in public school. Diverse cast in Socal. All races. Tons of languages. Lots of chances to get in trouble. Goals and motivation pushed me through hard times, and eventually through injuries that only desire to live the good life could keep me focused on.

I always had a 3.6-3.9GPA and scored a 34/36 ACT. Fountain Valley High School. In 1997-1998 our school was one of the top 20 academic schools in country. My GPA didn't even get me in top 1/4 of my graduating class! We had 4 kids get perfect SAT scores. But I also Played sports. Never had a hard time finding AP classes to take, in CA public high school I took AP Math, science, english, etc each semester. Used to sleep through AP Chemistry and still got a B+. Got in to every school I applied at: Dartmouth, Stanford, USC, Pepperdine, etc. Great grades and test scores but broke parents, Ivy League would have been cool but who cares. No money so I went to Junior College in Santa Ana (ghetto) and got a job. Anyone who says you can't get your classes and credits to advance in HS or College is not looking at whole picture...you make yourself. Not the teacher. You dig deeper to prove a point. Get smarter to challenge yourself. Destroy competition. Give the teacher an apple and maybe get tipped off about a pop quiz day before. Real world is about strategy and smarts!

Got a 3.8GPA taking 20+ units and was working on a triple major (no hot girls at Santa Ana College, they all go to Orange Coast College). I only cared about achieving the big goals. Eventually got my full ride to LMU (even after a lumbar stress fracture) and was astonished with how spoiled those pr-&k rich kids were. I was there on merit. They were mostly there for parties and proximity. I left early but could have pursued my other passion which was screenwriting and film.

Once I got a little money I began both buying cool cars and investing in cash flow properties in Orange County. Made it at 24 to MLB and gave up on the TV / Film backup plan. Then I moved to Texas and started buying more cars (more salary and no state income tax!). Bought a condo in Dallas in 2006. Thought I was so smart. "Real estate will make me rich"

2002: bought condo 335k in Huntington Beach. Rented it out, sold in 2018 for 605,000

2005, deposit on condo in Dallas for 500. Rented it, lived in it, rented it...
2019, probably selling for 405k. A loss that's
Only offset by the CGT worth of taxes I saved
While working in Dallas.

Home Tax in Texas is no joke. 2.1-2.7% housing tax! Plus, too much land. Even in Dallas- they just keep building. No scarcity. Dallas housing is like Aston Martin. Gorgeous stuff, no appreciation unless it's a weird unique one. Unless you keep house to buy cool guns etc no benefit to own!! Its a money pit to buy there.

CA real estate in:

SD
OC
LA
SB
pebble
SF

All expensive $/sq ft

But that's because that is either the most desirable spot to live or highest earning jobs nearby. I love the CA lifestyle and food. Only NYC can compare food wise.

I live in fresno now, left all the traffic behind. House is 2.5x size and 6 car garage for about 10-15% cost of my house in Corona Del Mar. LA, SF, Pebble, Sonoma all within a drive. My commute is 5-8 min. My daughter's school 6 min away. Love the food here (farm to belly). 3 tracks in 3 hours, 6 tracks in 5 hrs. It's hot here in Summer but not AZ hot.

I have lived in
CA
Az
VA
Tx
Ga
Fl
Ny
Ok

I'd only consider long term job or to live in 10-15 cities nationwide...nowhere is perfect. Austin, Scottsdale, Denver/Boulder, Pebble, CdM, Encinitas, Beverly Hills, Palisades, La Jolla Shores, Carmel Valley...only places I'd live forever and not want to travel a ton. I travel a ton now...but I like Fresno more then Dallas or Savanah, Georgia.

Goal now: grow the dealership group and end up owning a place in Pebble Beach. I like Pebble, it's like everything I love about Laguna and Montecito and Manhattan Beach but devoid of the density that crushes your spirit in traffic.

Whoever is still reading at this point, sorry.

Goal Lifestyle? That's the only thing that should motivate you to move. Forget the chatter about politics etc. We're on the GT3 forum. We'll have a bad day or week and go for a drive and smile. Can you recruit more friends locally to your car club? I don't want to talk too much in big groups- would rather go drive, go work, go make pancakes for my family. Have to work where working is most lucrative...otherwise you are working while wearing handcuffs. The job pays for the quality of life.
I think it depends on where and what you purchased in Dallas, the desirable have seemed to go up a lot. Condos also don't tend to appreciate in Dallas, vs single family homes. The real estate is actually booming. My house has appreciated 50 percent since I purchased in 2013. As far as investment properties, the suburbs of Dallas (Frisco, Mckinney) have appreciated dramatically too. Some homes as much as 70-80 percent in the past 5-7 years. Although Dallas real estate doesn't go up as much as some cities in CA, it also did not take a big of a hit as CA did during the crash. I think as more people move to Dallas, real estate will become even more profitable. That being said, I do miss some things about California. I would say the food in California is the number 1 thing I miss and the weather second. I definitely don't miss the California traffic, but Dallas is getting pretty bad too. Thanks for your insight though.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
To be frank, I would make an effort to look into why and attempt to rectify. Increasing number of studies showing chronic sleep deprivation may have higher mortality risk than high blood pressure & heart disease. This has become an elevated focus as of late in my field, notorious for lack of sleep (institutional trading). The research behind it is no longer vague.
Pet peeve: those studies never take into account the reason for the missing sleep. Chronic stress? Health problems? Live next to some train tracks? Neighbor's dog won't shut up? Yes, it's hardly surprising that this may have serious long-term repercussions. Burning the midnight oil because you've been cranking all week on something really nifty and it's almost working? I seriously doubt that those nights of lost sleep "count," health-wise.

The studies also never account for individual differences in need for sleep. If you don't feel that you need more than 5 hours of sleep per night, you probably don't, and it's pointless to try to force yourself to sleep more. You're an outlier, and the statistics don't apply to you by definition.

Basically, those sleep/health studies are junk science. They are no better than the racist guy at your neighborhood bar who says that because members of the XYZ race commit more crimes, you're probably a scumbag if you're an XYZ.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:31 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Spent 5 weeks with my RS in California. Made some new friends (some in this thread), went on some fantastic drives, had a phenomenal time.

As a car enthusiast, the community in California is second-to-none. The tracks, the canyons, the shops, the people... it's just a great place to be.

Would I live there? 100%. But as a self-employed Canadian, unfortunately that's easier said than done. Maybe one day...

Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 867 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Spent 5 weeks with my RS in California. Made some new friends (some in this thread), went on some fantastic drives, had a phenomenal time.

As a car enthusiast, the community in California is second-to-none. The tracks, the canyons, the shops, the people... it's just a great place to be.

Would I live there? 100%. But as a self-employed Canadian, unfortunately that's easier said than done. Maybe one day...

Great pic! And great car - is that Rosso Scuderia?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:52 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 46 Posts

Beautiful shot!
Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

that pic summons up everything in this entire thread in one shot lol
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Just bought a place in Wine Country last week. - It was more for my Wife but I also love it out there

Should be available next Apr-June. Will not be my permanent Resident but a place to spend may be 5 days per month. May decide to buy a second hand Carrera S Cabrio(Registered in IL) out there to enjoy the days it does not rain

Looking forward to it
Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

Today's latest installment of the "California Lifestyle":

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...423-story.html

"Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to know why California’s gasoline prices are higher than in the rest of the country, blaming potential “inappropriate industry practices” Tuesday rather than the state's higher taxes and tougher environmental regulations."

Sounds to me like something Nicolás Maduro would say......
Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

Unfortunately, Gavin Newsome is going to be our next President after Trump's second term. Good looking guy, speaks well, women will vote on his charisma. He's like Obama. Same guy, different packaging.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?