Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
If we are going to complain about Texas property taxes on a 7,800 SF house and yet downwardly adjust our housing expectations for a more expensive locale (Bay Area), thus achieving a lower property tax payment, that hardly seems a logical or fair comparison of annual property tax costs.

This has become quite an entertaining thread, but lets try to keep the "California vs other states" discussion as objective as possible.
2 things can be true at the same time - put a 7800 sq/ft luxury house in Bay Area and yes, you will most likely pay the same/more property tax vs. Texas

My point is, if someone has a budget of $2m to buy a house, they will pay less property tax in Bay Area vs. Texas and that this is the more logical / realistic comparison since most folks can't magically increase their affordability based on where they are moving.

For those living in a 1,200 sq/ft SF Bay Area house and are moving to Texas, do you think they are looking to stay in a comparable 1,200 sq/ft house in Texas? NO, Texas doesn't even have houses that small
Old 04-18-2019, 03:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
or you could die tomorrow and all that planning for nothing! yolo!
Very true Sam. And on that note...going for a drive!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
lol I love LA and I'm enjoying it here but don't tempt me as I have Oregon and/or CO in my sights (maybe in 5-10 years)

Would honestly like to be in more nature/scenery/outdoors and less traffic/stress, but the weather here is just disgustingly nice & there are such diverse offerings for anyone in any walk of life

*sniff* that is beautiful for 2.275m

2.275m here in West LA is a porta potty with detached garage
not really true you can get amazing if you look a little

1 mile from the ocean in one of the best neighborhoods in the city for under 2.2
https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/los-ange...45--2077394308
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30

1 mile from the ocean in one of the best neighborhoods in the city for under 2.2
Yuk. That yard isn't even fit for a dog to take ...... in it.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Yuk. That yard isn't even fit for a dog to take ...... in it.

Yeah and u can buy a condo in NY for $200M with no yard or a 5000 acres in Texas for a lot less - what's your point?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:45 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 869 Likes on 385 Posts

If you call living next to the airport as one of the best neighborhoods...........then OK.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Cali is great if your a car lover bottom line. Ripped my GT3RS this morning in canyons.

Great weather and even greater car culture. Yes its crowded and you need to get up early.

We also have alot of attractive ladies...

There is a reason its expensive to live here...its worth it.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:35 AM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
This thread does have legs lol.

Let’s say your budget is $2 million. Property taxes in Texas would probably be $50k per year. California would be around $25k. Income taxes in Texas would be zero. In California you would easily spend an extra $25k on income taxes. But, and this is a big but...when are you planning on retiring? Because if your taxable income drops way down in retirement the lower property taxes / higher state income taxes makes a lot of sense. You can also move to Texas or Florida, bank a lot of income tax savings, buy a modest house, then pivot to a higher income tax state when you retire.

A lot of ways to play it.
Bingo. This is the way I am playing it out. Lived in the East Bay for the first half of my 30s. My wife and I hit the point where we wanted to raise a family so we picked up, moved to NE FL and now live in a town on the beach. Splitting the cost of living savings between accelerated savings and fun funds.

Drives and bike rides are a lot flatter here so I don't think Mooty would survive but I'm surfing in shorts already... Huge bonus.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Cali is great if your a car lover bottom line. Ripped my GT3RS this morning in canyons.

Great weather and even greater car culture. Yes its crowded and you need to get up early.

We also have alot of attractive ladies...

There is a reason its expensive to live here...its worth it.
Yeah it’s not the only place for great drives, beautiful woman, good weather (less days a year no doubt) and the best part you don’t deal with traffic.
Drove the Dragon Wednesday. Got on at 10ish and ZERO cyclists and no cars but a few. Then went to Keeneland and enjoyed a great day in 78 degree sunny weather. There are other places, rest assured.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

nice area but full of traffic ...... closer to 5 miles but straight shot down Manchester blvd. 2M better house in Palos Verdes with views(:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

traffic and taxes, sure... but the weather and lifestyle is unbeatable. i say go for it OP!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:22 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
If you call living next to the airport as one of the best neighborhoods...........then OK.
funny enough I was in that area/neighborhood last weekend looking at a couple homes very similar price point/style

Have to look there because for under 2.5M new construction, that is basically the only area I've found on the "westside" (bit south)

It's nice being that close to the airport since I travel a lot, but IMO Westchester is not one of the best neighborhoods in the city

Originally Posted by Maverick787
nice area but full of traffic ...... closer to 5 miles but straight shot down Manchester blvd. 2M better house in Palos Verdes with views(:
PV area great too, just different vibe but for sure your money will go a bit further
Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 232 Posts

Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt

Yeah it’s not the only place for great drives, beautiful woman, good weather (less days a year no doubt) and the best part you don’t deal with traffic.
Drove the Dragon Wednesday. Got on at 10ish and ZERO cyclists and no cars but a few. Then went to Keeneland and enjoyed a great day in 78 degree sunny weather. There are other places, rest assured.
Don't disagree with you and glad your happy in Kentucky. I owned a business In Louisville for 20 years and the weather isn't great. Very cold in the winters and brutally hot in the summers. IMHO there isn't a better state than CA if your a car lover. That said, its getting really crowded and I would consider moving when my youngest goes to college in 3 years.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
Hey everyone. My wife and I are considering relocating from OK/TX to California for multiple reasons, but largely due to weather. We are considering LA, Palm Springs and the central coast area. I thought I'd ask for some advice on here as there seems to be a lot of guys from California on the board, and obviously we have some common interests. We don't have kids and aren't tied down. We really enjoy weekend traveling, good food/wine/beer, live music, great drives, and nearby tracks for either DE's or a membership. If you have any recommendations on why you love or don't love your spot in California, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
CBrett,

Great minds think alike. I love food, wines, and beer too! I personally love the Central Coast area. There are tons of wine tasting rooms and some of the best scenic driving roads. There are plenty of craft breweries in LA too but you are going to hate the congestion. If it was me, I guess the ultimate deciding factor is what field of business are you in and how the opportunities are in the area. If that is not an issue, I would suggest looking at the north end of Santa Barbara County. You will be less than 2 hours away from LA and the Central Coast.

- jerry@bbiautosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?