Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Besides the high taxes and stamping taxes on additional new things... Why are the California politicians / rules wacky? Any examples of such rules?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Very true Sam. Living anywhere is a mix of pros and cons. Only you can assign a weight to those things, and provide a final score. Nobody else can do that for you.

Btw, had to renew my driver’s license yesterday. Walked into the DMV. No appointment. Grabbed a number. Paper said 170. Looked up and the next number being served was 169. Within 20 minutes we were in and out, $28 later (good for 5 years). This is a small thing, but life here is pretty much like that in most areas of life.
lol I love LA and I'm enjoying it here but don't tempt me as I have Oregon and/or CO in my sights (maybe in 5-10 years)

Would honestly like to be in more nature/scenery/outdoors and less traffic/stress, but the weather here is just disgustingly nice & there are such diverse offerings for anyone in any walk of life

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Here's a house in my neighborhood for sale (https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/15_zm/). $2.2m and $47k in property taxes.

To your point on traffic, I'm looking in the woodsy area along C-9, west part... doesn't seem too bad and the roads are twisty
*sniff* that is beautiful for 2.275m

2.275m here in West LA is a porta potty with detached garage
Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
glass half empty or half full..

IMHO best weather in the world, best roads in the world (outside of cities), best car culture in the world, very diverse spectrum of things to do across the state, amazing scenery/geography, melting pot culturally.... I view it as pay to play, and makes sense why so many want to live here! But also makes sense why people want to get the hell out
lol I love LA and I'm enjoying it here but don't tempt me as I have Oregon and/or CO in my sights (maybe in 5-10 years)

Would honestly like to be in more nature/scenery/outdoors and less traffic/stress, but the weather here is just disgustingly nice & there are such diverse offerings for anyone in any walk of life

Well Portland was great 20 years ago when I moved up here from the bay area. Now it's nearly as disgusting as SFO. I went through tent hell this morning taking my wife to the airport. I'm embarassed to call this area my home now even though I never go to Portland anymore.The politics mirror CA and WA. Now I'm looking at ID, mainly the Boise area as it has a lot to offer. I could live in the Bend area of OR. however. Plenty of outdoor activities out there, just as beautiful but with better weather.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Well Portland was great 20 years ago when I moved up here from the bay area. Now it's nearly as disgusting as SFO. I went through tent hell this morning taking my wife to the airport. I'm embarassed to call this area my home now even though I never go to Portland anymore.The politics mirror CA and WA. Now I'm looking at ID, mainly the Boise area as it has a lot to offer. I could live in the Bend area of OR. however. Plenty of outdoor activities out there, just as beautiful but with better weather.
I have heard good things about Boise. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

im not expecting to live in a Texas size house in the Bay Area. Would have to sacrifice a few things house-wise but gaining in other areas
The point is that to be fair when comparing property taxes one must pay in two different locations (not just the simplistic comparison of property tax rates), one must compare similar homes in both locations . Agreed?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
The point is that to be fair when comparing property taxes one must pay in two different locations (not just the simplistic comparison of property tax rates), one must compare similar homes in both locations . Agreed?
it’s not how people realistically search and buy houses when moving to different regions. I would have a much different expectation on what I would live in if I were looking in NYC vs Bay Area vs Texas.

Realistically, most people look at what they can afford and then go shopping so that’s the basis of comparison I.e. what would a $2m home cost in different places in this example
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

it’s not how people realistically search and buy houses when moving to different regions. I would have a much different expectation on what I would live in if I were looking in NYC vs Bay Area vs Texas.

Realistically, most people look at what they can afford and then go shopping so that’s the basis of comparison I.e. what would a $2m home cost in different places in this example
If we are going to complain about Texas property taxes on a 7,800 SF house and yet downwardly adjust our housing expectations for a more expensive locale (Bay Area), thus achieving a lower property tax payment, that hardly seems a logical or fair comparison of annual property tax costs.

This has become quite an entertaining thread, but lets try to keep the "California vs other states" discussion as objective as possible.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

If we are going to complain about Texas property taxes on a 7,800 SF house and yet downwardly adjust our housing expectations for a more expensive locale (Bay Area), thus achieving a lower property tax payment, that hardly seems a logical or fair comparison of annual property tax costs.

This has become quite an entertaining thread, but lets try to keep the "California vs other states" discussion as objective as possible.
This thread does have legs lol.

Let’s say your budget is $2 million. Property taxes in Texas would probably be $50k per year. California would be around $25k. Income taxes in Texas would be zero. In California you would easily spend an extra $25k on income taxes. But, and this is a big but...when are you planning on retiring? Because if your taxable income drops way down in retirement the lower property taxes / higher state income taxes makes a lot of sense. You can also move to Texas or Florida, bank a lot of income tax savings, buy a modest house, then pivot to a higher income tax state when you retire.

A lot of ways to play it.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I have heard good things about Boise. Good luck!
Thanks. It's going to take awhile, RE roots are deep here in the People's Republic of Oregon.

Meanwhile back in California they're going to ban little hotel shampoos, but apparently it's ok to crap on the sidewalk lol:

California contemplating banning small hotel shampoos, lotions etc.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

That's because there are currently no 7,800+SF homes for sale in Saratoga. The closest I can find in the surrounding area under $8m is this listing asking $4.88m. The taxes on that home are $58,656.

Look at it this way, you will pay about the same each year in property taxes for either the Frisco or Saratoga home of similar size/year/quality. Would you rather have $2.27m or $4.88m tied up while you live in it?
Another way to look at it - one has has appreciated > 100% while the other < 50% in the last 10 years. Yet, another way - one is been in the market for 40 days while the other is still sitting after 450 days... And yet another way, one is in the back yard of Apple and Netflix and the job opportunities that go with it, while the other is?

Old 04-18-2019, 10:04 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Colorado is full!! Lol
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

I lived in LA for a few years. Nice weather and nice roads. Very slim on actual racetracks, Cal Speedway or whatever NASCAR calls it this day is not the best example of a nice racetrack, and Buttomwillow is meh. The good stuff is up North: Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca.

I love Colorado, I have worked there many times, even better roads than California, more fun, much better drivers, I'm planning to open an office there and run it 9 months a year. I would not like Colorado converting into the 2nd California due to Californians running away from their own creation.

I always recommend people to move to California on two conditions: they are either very poor or very rich, and they don't have jobs. It is the perfect place to live if you don't have a job, lots of social programs for jobless people.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dave292
Colorado is full!! Lol
Oregon is full too
Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by A/S
I love Colorado, I have worked there many times, even better roads than California, more fun, much better drivers, I'm planning to open an office there and run it 9 months a year. I would not like Colorado converting into the 2nd California due to Californians running away from their own creation.
Thank god for snow. Otherwise we would be totally screwed.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:52 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

This thread does have legs lol.

Let’s say your budget is $2 million. Property taxes in Texas would probably be $50k per year. California would be around $25k. Income taxes in Texas would be zero. In California you would easily spend an extra $25k on income taxes. But, and this is a big but...when are you planning on retiring? Because if your taxable income drops way down in retirement the lower property taxes / higher state income taxes makes a lot of sense. You can also move to Texas or Florida, bank a lot of income tax savings, buy a modest house, then pivot to a higher income tax state when you retire.

A lot of ways to play it.
or you could die tomorrow and all that planning for nothing! yolo!

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?