Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
Plus, that $2m house is maybe 1 acre and butted up against a bunch of similar looking place. Weather is hot AF and food is mediocre at best. Not to mention everywhere is flat and a bit uninspiring.
Sounds like you chose the wrong part of Texas.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:05 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
CA/LA is not a place to try and live if you are a "low-income earner". San Francisco is even worse and claims that a low-income earner is anyone who makes under $117k... There are plenty of other places where you could live like a king on a 117k salary.

There are so many other cities/states that are much better suited for someone that makes a respectable income of 50k to 100k annually. Personally, I don't think you should consider Los Angeles unless the annual household income is at least 200k to 250k. You won't live in a desirable area, you will likely have a long daily commute, and the higher living costs will be much more noticeable.

There are a lot of reasons to choose CA and there are also a lot of reason not to as well. Everyone has different goals, preferences, experiences, and circumstances that will influence whether or not a decision to live in a particular place will either increase or decrease their happiness. Go and live where you are happy. My wife and I really love CA/LA and find that we are overall happier here. If that changes one day, we will move but there is no way we expect anyone to share our feelings since these decisions are extremely personal and based on so many factors that will vary from person to person.

If you guys think housing is so bad here... try living in NYC...
I've always wondered that. Our household income is just under 200k and we are not super comfortable in Jersey City. Have my one car which I probably didn't have to have but I need something to live for..
Student loans and some CC debt is what is holding us back. But NYC is not helping and I'm sure LA wouldn't be better but I really want out of this northeast hellhole and have been reading this thread wondering if the west coast would help or not.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
13.9% state income tax, high property tax, no SALT deduction free stuff for illegals and reductions for those who worked their whole life, contaminated needles , fecal material on the street.....Amazing how many have drank the Koolaid. Guess those who can leave might have some intuition
mostly wrong

income = 1-5% unless you corp yourself than its 1-2% income tax
property tax = among the lowest in the nation I'd imagine at 1.25% in LA county vs texas at almost 2%
needles and poop = majority of the heroin in this country is consumed in the midwest and south and east seaboard and i've seen more needles in ohio than anywhere else lol. in CA we like to smoke weed mostly
  1. West Virginia: 41.5 per 100,000 people
  2. New Hampshire: 34.3 per 100,000 people
  3. Kentucky: 29.9 per 100,000 people
  4. Ohio: 29.9 per 100,000 people
  5. Rhode Island: 28.2 per 100,000 people
  6. Pennsylvania: 26.3 per 100,000 people
  7. Massachusetts: 25.7 per 100,000 people
  8. New Mexico: 25.3 per 100,000 people
  9. Utah: 23.4 per 100,000 people
  10. Tennessee: 22.2 per 100,000 people
Old 04-17-2019, 02:28 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

I guess it all depends on where you're moving from and where exactly in California you are comparing that to.

I live in Texas and Property Tax is no joke... $35-$45k on a $2m house + HOA + higher than normal home insurance. Plus, that $2m house is maybe 1 acre and butted up against a bunch of similar looking place. Weather is hot AF and food is mediocre at best. Not to mention everywhere is flat and a bit uninspiring.

I was contemplating Orange County but after visiting a few more times my wife and I are now looking at around Saratoga in the bay area (looking at the woodsy area). $2m house is $9k - $15k in property tax, little/no HOA, not sure about insurance. Commute is same as Texas where I live to tech companies (25-30 min). multiple acres plot surrounded by tress, trails and windy roads. Weather is temperate mostly and great food nearby.... not to mention all the place to visit nearby.

Of course I could turn this around and make Texas look really good vs Cali too...
i know over 10 people that moved in the past 2-3 years from texas to ca because of the jobs and culture here
Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

I prefer the Southern California weather to Northern California...it's a bit too chilly and rainy for me in Northern California and the traffic up there is worse than LA. The Orange County traffic is not as bad as LA traffic but isn't good by any means. Having the toll roads helps a little too.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
I've always wondered that. Our household income is just under 200k and we are not super comfortable in Jersey City. Have my one car which I probably didn't have to have but I need something to live for..
Student loans and some CC debt is what is holding us back. But NYC is not helping and I'm sure LA wouldn't be better but I really want out of this northeast hellhole and have been reading this thread wondering if the west coast would help or not.
anything is better than nyc imho. anything is better
Old 04-17-2019, 03:17 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
I used to love this city as I am a fashion photographer (starting to hate fashion more everyday however) and my future wife is a fashion designer and likewise she is starting to hate fashion more and more. This city does suck the soul from people it feels like. I work for a jewelry company shooting terrible imagery for website/banners, various jewelry stores across the country. She designs for a plus size company that is run by an incompetent CEO. They recently got bought out by Walmart. She wants to leave but we are not finding the jobs at the level we should be at anywhere else in the country. So we definitely feel stuck in pothole hell.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:18 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
Come spend some time in metro Detroit. That will change your opinion of what is bad. Trust me.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Looking forward to see the state's innovation in regard to fece patrol, needle waste, general homelessness and how CA. deals with the illegal aliens bussed to their sanctuary cities. Plenty of opportunities for innovation. The world is watching and looks upon California's leadership in these important civil issues.
ah, yes...California state government innovation. Love this recent little gem - California Governor Wants to Tax Drinking Water
Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
ah, yes...California state government innovation. Love this recent little gem - California Governor Wants to Tax Drinking Water
The political NIMBYs are innovative when it comes up with new ways to tax the public. Pretty soon they'll tax breathing air. We are the worst politicians out there.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:25 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
no way that’s the property tax on a 2 mil home here. More like 25-30. Property tax is 1.2% in Saratoga, plus the high state income tax and you’re ahead in Texas. Traffic in Saratoga to get to tech companies is pretty bad as well, you take Hwy 85 north to work and are going with traffic to and from work. We are looking to sell and buy a home, Saratoga is great but the commute almost kills it for us.
Here's a house in my neighborhood for sale (https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/15_zm/). $2.2m and $47k in property taxes.

To your point on traffic, I'm looking in the woodsy area along C-9, west part... doesn't seem too bad and the roads are twisty
Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Sounds like you chose the wrong part of Texas.
It's not that bad really, my personal tastes have just changed over time I think. Texas is great for a large number of people, just like Cali
Old 04-17-2019, 06:58 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a house in my neighborhood for sale (https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/15_zm/). $2.2m and $47k in property taxes.

To your point on traffic, I'm looking in the woodsy area along C-9, west part... doesn't seem too bad and the roads are twisty
ahh CA-9, great road. I drive it frequently. That's a big property tax bill, I meant out here property tax is not 15k for that type of home. I would post one but I can't find any in Saratoga at that price . If I did, it would not be close to the type of house you posted lol...
Old 04-17-2019, 08:18 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
ahh CA-9, great road. I drive it frequently. That's a big property tax bill, I meant out here property tax is not 15k for that type of home. I would post one but I can't find any in Saratoga at that price . If I did, it would not be close to the type of house you posted lol...
That's because there are currently no 7,800+SF homes for sale in Saratoga. The closest I can find in the surrounding area under $8m is this listing asking $4.88m. The taxes on that home are $58,656.

Look at it this way, you will pay about the same each year in property taxes for either the Frisco or Saratoga home of similar size/year/quality. Would you rather have $2.27m or $4.88m tied up while you live in it?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
That's because there are currently no 7,800+SF homes for sale in Saratoga. The closest I can find in the surrounding area under $8m is this listing asking $4.88m. The taxes on that home are $58,656.

Look at it this way, you will pay about the same each year in property taxes for either the Frisco or Saratoga home of similar size/year/quality. Would you rather have $2.27m or $4.88m tied up while you live in it?
im not expecting to live in a Texas size house in the Bay Area. Would have to sacrifice a few things house-wise but gaining in other areas

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?