Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

800 billion no joke. 2x more then entire state of texas and nyc

https://la.curbed.com/2019/4/4/18295...quity-how-much
Old 04-05-2019, 12:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Well, it looks like that college admission scandal WAS mostly a California thing.

“We've all watched in complete disgust by the outright fraud committed in the recent college admissions scandal across the country and in California," said Assemblymember Kevin McCarty. "Further, it stings even more because so much of this was based in California." He noted that 25 of the 33 families and that 10 of the 17 coaches and university officials were based in California.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^why does that even matter? I look at it as our housing is just overpriced more than other states, with the exception of those within 5-15 minutes from the beach.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:35 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 06C2s
^^^why does that even matter? I look at it as our housing is just overpriced more than other states, with the exception of those within 5-15 minutes from the beach.
Well...the OP was looking for information on California. If i were thinking of moving somewhere, especially if i didn’t have kids yet, i would want to know what type of education environment i will be facing down the road.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/news/w...-state-3932865Name:  photo351.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  875.9 KB

I had written previously in this thread, how the concentration of highly educated people i encountered since moving to California was higher than anywhere I had experienced after having lived almost all over the world, and how this was one of the principal reasons i still live here. It seems like I wasn't too off the mark. I do wonder what the guy who picked Kentucky as the place to launch bombs at me from is thinking now, or maybe facts don't matter, just emotional responses do? Anyway, I reiterate that he should take a trip outside of Kentucky and walk into the average bar in SF, and tell me if the average conversation people are having doesn't blow him away. There really is a brain-trust of folks who move here who are working on and focused on a higher level which I simply haven't encountered anywhere else.

Last edited by CAlexio; 04-17-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 727 Likes on 336 Posts

Looking forward to see the state's innovation in regard to fece patrol, needle waste, general homelessness and how CA. deals with the illegal aliens bussed to their sanctuary cities. Plenty of opportunities for innovation. The world is watching and looks upon California's leadership in these important civil issues.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:59 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts

13.9% state income tax, high property tax, no SALT deduction free stuff for illegals and reductions for those who worked their whole life, contaminated needles , fecal material on the street.....Amazing how many have drank the Koolaid. Guess those who can leave might have some intuition
Old 04-17-2019, 11:05 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Looking forward to see the state's innovation in regard to fece patrol, needle waste, general homelessness and how CA. deals with the illegal aliens bussed to their sanctuary cities. Plenty of opportunities for innovation. The world is watching and looks upon California's leadership in these important civil issues.
Originally Posted by sdm100
13.9% state income tax, high property tax, no SALT deduction free stuff for illegals and reductions for those who worked their whole life, contaminated needles , fecal material on the street.....Amazing how many have drank the Koolaid. Guess those who can leave might have some intuition
glass half empty or half full..

IMHO best weather in the world, best roads in the world (outside of cities), best car culture in the world, very diverse spectrum of things to do across the state, amazing scenery/geography, melting pot culturally.... I view it as pay to play, and makes sense why so many want to live here! But also makes sense why people want to get the hell out
Old 04-17-2019, 11:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,086 Likes on 5,258 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

IMHO best weather in the world, best roads in the world (outside of cities), best car culture in the world, very diverse spectrum of things to do across the state, amazing scenery/geography, melting pot culturally.... I view it as pay to play, and makes sense why so many want to live here! But also makes sense why people want to get the hell out
dont forget best universities (as a collective) and most diverse and eclectic cuisines.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
dont forget best universities (as a collective) and most diverse and eclectic cuisines.
I can't agree there going to a pac 12 rival in Seattle but I can agree on the cuisines & that the universities aren't too shabby. Just don't go to USC where you need to pay / cheat your way in or be like Dre and donate 70 million to boast about how your daughter got in on merit kidding!
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 727 Likes on 336 Posts

I did read that the 5 employees who comprise the poop patrol unit in SF make on average $184K a year. Most likely w/ full benefits as well. Permanent disability may be in the future for a few of them I would think.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 739 Posts

I guess it all depends on where you're moving from and where exactly in California you are comparing that to.

I live in Texas and Property Tax is no joke... $35-$45k on a $2m house + HOA + higher than normal home insurance. Plus, that $2m house is maybe 1 acre and butted up against a bunch of similar looking place. Weather is hot AF and food is mediocre at best. Not to mention everywhere is flat and a bit uninspiring.

I was contemplating Orange County but after visiting a few more times my wife and I are now looking at around Saratoga in the bay area (looking at the woodsy area). $2m house is $9k - $15k in property tax, little/no HOA, not sure about insurance. Commute is same as Texas where I live to tech companies (25-30 min). multiple acres plot surrounded by tress, trails and windy roads. Weather is temperate mostly and great food nearby.... not to mention all the place to visit nearby.

Of course I could turn this around and make Texas look really good vs Cali too...
Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Very true Sam. Living anywhere is a mix of pros and cons. Only you can assign a weight to those things, and provide a final score. Nobody else can do that for you.

Btw, had to renew my driver’s license yesterday. Walked into the DMV. No appointment. Grabbed a number. Paper said 170. Looked up and the next number being served was 169. Within 20 minutes we were in and out, $28 later (good for 5 years). This is a small thing, but life here is pretty much like that in most areas of life.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:44 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I guess it all depends on where you're moving from and where exactly in California you are comparing that to.

I live in Texas and Property Tax is no joke... $35-$45k on a $2m house + HOA + higher than normal home insurance. Plus, that $2m house is maybe 1 acre and butted up against a bunch of similar looking place. Weather is hot AF and food is mediocre at best. Not to mention everywhere is flat and a bit uninspiring.

I was contemplating Orange County but after visiting a few more times my wife and I are now looking at around Saratoga in the bay area (looking at the woodsy area). $2m house is $9k - $15k in property tax, little/no HOA, not sure about insurance. Commute is same as Texas where I live to tech companies (25-30 min). multiple acres plot surrounded by tress, trails and windy roads. Weather is temperate mostly and great food nearby.... not to mention all the place to visit nearby.

Of course I could turn this around and make Texas look really good vs Cali too...
no way that’s the property tax on a 2 mil home here. More like 25-30. Property tax is 1.2% in Saratoga, plus the high state income tax and you’re ahead in Texas. Traffic in Saratoga to get to tech companies is pretty bad as well, you take Hwy 85 north to work and are going with traffic to and from work. We are looking to sell and buy a home, Saratoga is great but the commute almost kills it for us.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?