Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
Thanks again everyone for turning this into an awesome thread! We haven't made a decision yet and probably won't for a while. We are going to Germany next week to pick up a GT3T and bounce around in it for a week. A week after we return to the states, we are going back out to Cali. We'll spend a couple days each in Palm Springs, Ventura, and Santa Monica. Anyone have any thoughts on Ventura? We also need to make another visit out to Scottsdale. It's been a long time since we have been there. Keep the recommendations and lively discussion coming!
Palm Springs - fantastic if you can get away in the summer. Lived there. Ventura - Great but spotty crime. Very good but be careful. Santa Monica - congested and over priced. Scottsdale - See Palm Springs. From what you just said, and having lived in L.A. for 30 years, Palm Springs number one and Ventura (right area) would easily be my second choice.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,097 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Orange County is perfect....not the traffic that LA has but close enough to everything (LA and San Diego).
Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks again everyone for turning this into an awesome thread! We haven't made a decision yet and probably won't for a while. We are going to Germany next week to pick up a GT3T and bounce around in it for a week. A week after we return to the states, we are going back out to Cali. We'll spend a couple days each in Palm Springs, Ventura, and Santa Monica. Anyone have any thoughts on Ventura? We also need to make another visit out to Scottsdale. It's been a long time since we have been there. Keep the recommendations and lively discussion coming!
I can't help on Ventura, but if you do need recommendations for wine, food, coffee, donuts, locations, walks in Santa Monica/LA just pm when convenient. Safe travels.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u hit the nail on the head.
I watch my kids milling around the house.
I told them to get up at 6am. but the total productivity of them getting up at 6am vs 9am is same.
I had a serious talk with them. summary " getting up early is useless, getting up early is to have more productivity.... so get the work done... you gained three hours to work not three hours to milling around..."

once you comprehend the concept of TIME.. trust me, this is way harder then differential calculus for a 15 year old.... then your life would be way better. and that applies to adults too...
it irks me when ppl tell me they can't ride as much as I do... but they sleep 8 hour a day....
NO ONE REMEMBERS THE NIGHT THAT THEY HAD GOOD SLEEP

ok, I need to go do more efficient stuff now so I can then burnt the I "saved" on RL.
I am a hypocrite.
I have to disagree on sleep. It's not an optional type of thing for me.. brain can't function if too many days at 6 hours. It's a damn curse as I know many have no trouble with less sleep.. I'm destroyed without it. If I go to bed super early (1030pm) then in theory I can be up 430am and be functional, but most nights need 7 solid hours, 8 ideal.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Germany what day? I’m there Friday
Zuffenhausen on Monday 4/1. Looks like I'll just miss ya.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoking Rotors
Woke up at daybreak this morning...

(it was the other car's turn) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKH428PXfbA

- hills above Malibu facing towards the valley
That is insanely gorgeous! Me and a few buddies took our cars out in the OKC countryside yesterday. Flat pastures with dead yellow grass and horrible roads is about all we saw!

SoCal RJ, thanks for the info on Ventura and PS! br911, I'll have to hit you up for some recs. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Personally I would visit (north to south) Santa Barbara, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, then drive further south to San Diego. Zero desire to live in Palm Springs or Ventura.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM
Smoking Rotors
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Personally I would visit (north to south) Santa Barbara, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, then drive further south to San Diego. Zero desire to live in Palm Springs or Ventura.
Yes, food is better in Santa Barbara IMHO and if you have time to hop over the hill to Santa Inez Valley, the hills right now are full of wildflowers, Cachuma lake is almost full, Sunset from the beach to Hollywood is a nice drive - early or late. The usual advice about law enforcement is in order especially at peak times. Government is very well funded now in California (unlike OK - but the highway patrol there is working to change that there as well, right?)..
Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Malibu Hill’s were awesome this weekend. Summer is here.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,848 Likes on 2,394 Posts

^ u need to polish the hood too much swirl
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I have to disagree on sleep. It's not an optional type of thing for me.. brain can't function if too many days at 6 hours. It's a damn curse as I know many have no trouble with less sleep.. I'm destroyed without it. If I go to bed super early (1030pm) then in theory I can be up 430am and be functional, but most nights need 7 solid hours, 8 ideal.
I have the perfect solution to your problem- a riposo
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ u need to polish the hood too much swirl
old car, lots of patina. no polish needed! (btw I knew you'd call out the swirl :-) ) !!!! Car's filthy dirty
Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

Outside of CA, I,d say Sydney.. Perfection. But also expensive.. Cars are more than double and housing is crazy expensive just like LA or SF.
I think you're right, I have lived in Sydney my whole life, spend a lot of time abroad, and lots of time in the US, LA always my first port of call (if not Dallas), I think they are very interchangeable in most aspects... it's odd, because if I have spent time in say the midwest or south (i.e. NC/SC) when I get back to California on the return journey, it feels like home.

Melbourne is generally a better city for Porsche though... but weather not as good year round, nor does it have the surf beaches we have (if its important to you), but arguably the food & wine epicentre of this country (Sydney has caught up though).

As much as most Aussies complain about the price of cars here, I think all things being considered we have it pretty good and that is a small price to pay... the only two other places that I think I could live in the world (without feeling majorly home sick) are Cali or Hong Kong.

As an outsider, I found this thread a good read.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:25 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

Also I sleep 3-5 hours a night 80-90% of nights. I skip sleep ~10 nights a year and sleep 8-9 hours 3-4 nights a year. The few remaining nights I manage 6 hours exactly
Old 03-26-2019, 12:53 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Also I sleep 3-5 hours a night 80-90% of nights. I skip sleep ~10 nights a year and sleep 8-9 hours 3-4 nights a year. The few remaining nights I manage 6 hours exactly
Makes me feel a whole lot better about my recent sleep patterns C.J. Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?