Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Rob - i agree you need to let the edu thing go. . You made a good move to a location that has good edu and it worked out. You could have moved to an area in CA that has good public schools and gotten similar results. Although i am sure that your quality of life for the $$ spend is much higher in CO. I happen to love CO and if forced to leave here that's where i'd go. I would say that the education thing is an issue all around the Country. Its getting harder and harder to get into top schools than it was 40 years ago - period. Whether that's UCLA or UT or CU. Public high schools are hit and miss - here and in other states. This scandal thing is not indicative of CA. But it does show that people are willing to do whatever they can to get their kids into school. But bribery (whether, legal or illegal) happens all the time. You think the guys who have buildings named after them have a hard time getting their kids into Yale or Stanford. Who you know is sometimes as important as what you know..

No one is arguing that taxes in CA are high. Whether they are too high here or in the US, that's a different debate. Lets not devolve into politics (or degrade). But facts are the US is spending $1T more than it gets in revenues. If the US were a person, we would be going broke quickly. CA is running a surplus on its budget in 2019. They tax high and spend high - some state as the gentleman above - wastefully. I still think CA is either a donor state or right around the line (Federally). Either way they are in the top 5-10 of least Federal $ per capita. Those are all facts.

In the mean time, I pay through the nose but for now i'm still cool with CA. I dont think about politics or taxes etc., when enjoying all that it has to offer me (including the amazing day we are having today). If i did, i'd go nuts
Fair enough on the school topic. I want to contribute to the discussion, not distract from it! Is the quality of life better for the money in CO? I don’t know if it is better, but it is a different quality of life. It has that alpine thing going for it. The wife and i loved Switzerland when we last visited Europe, and Colorado is about as close as it gets in the states. Yeah, agree lets not turn this into politics. The OP asked about the California lifestyle, and i think he got more views than he bargained for lol. But i do think this thread has been one of the best here in a while (emotional topic!) and most of the pros and cons have been pointed out to him.

With all the talk of high taxes and crazy cost of living one could say this was just another epic pricing thread!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:56 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
good day today in California :-)
Nice left!!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

My dog - Kira

And current view at the club - weather is nice, people are playing tennis and swimming. And I'm sipping a Tequila after a tough work week.

Nice pics. Especially the pooch!
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM
iczer34
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m not sure what the demographic is here on Rennlist but a topic that’s yet to be discussed is how your ethnicity plays a role in where you relocate.

Many folks (such as myself) who are not of Caucasian decent will have a more difficult time leaving diverse areas in California. The challenges to transition and “assimilate” in a predominantly Caucasian locale would be difficult. Thus one of the many reasons why minorities stay in high-priced areas like California.

It’s infinitely easier for a Caucasian to move almost anywhere on the planet.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember reading about Google and their hiring practices:

https://mic.com/articles/83377/3-sim...ads#.LRn5uLRtI

They also recruit some young talent:

https://www.elitereaders.com/nikos-a...ld-programmer/

I had a friend years ago that worked in HR at Kodak. Kodak used a multitude of metrics/psychological testing in determining new hires. I asked him what metric best determined success at their company. He responded “height”.

To the OP and anybody else thinking of moving to California - don’t. The traffic/taxes/school system/housing costs/natural disasters are horrific. If you decide you still want to move to California, then I suggest Northern California. Much better in all respects.

Nothing of interest in Southern California. Time to move along.

Last edited by Gef3rd; 03-16-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Fair enough on the school topic. I want to contribute to the discussion, not distract from it! Is the quality of life better for the money in CO? I don’t know if it is better, but it is a different quality of life. It has that alpine thing going for it. The wife and i loved Switzerland when we last visited Europe, and Colorado is about as close as it gets in the states. Yeah, agree lets not turn this into politics. The OP asked about the California lifestyle, and i think he got more views than he bargained for lol. But i do think this thread has been one of the best here in a while (emotional topic!) and most of the pros and cons have been pointed out to him.

With all the talk of high taxes and crazy cost of living one could say this was just another epic pricing thread!

Rob - an old colleague of mine (from my old Firm), called me yesterday - out of the blue. Interested in joining the technology world. He lives in Denver and we caught up quite a bit. Such a good guy. His daughter's are both brainiacs and his oldest got into Harvard, MIT and CU in Boulder. And she picked Boulder. i chuckled and told him about this dialog. . And this was after she visited all 3 and just felt that CU was a better fit all around. Not better per se - just better for her. His youngest is a senior and is getting into some top schools already. Sounds like your daughter - combination of smarts and good schools = top universities and good opportunities. Boulder is pretty hard to beat - especially for a college experience. In my next life, i would have a hard time picking between UT and there. Assuming of course i could even get in...

Had a great drive this morning up the coast and then over a Canyon and then back down to the Westside. Its 74 degrees and perfect today . Although we had a colder/rainy winter. LA became Portland for a while. Although we certainly needed the rain.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gef3rd
To the OP and anybody else thinking of moving to California - don’t. The traffic/taxes/school system/housing costs/natural disasters are horrific. If you decide you still want to move to California, then I suggest Northern California. Much better in all respects.

No problem sounds good. Do me a favor in return if you guys leave California and god forbid end up moving to Montana, Texas, Colorado etc. please leave the California political views behind. Let’s stop trying to change the other states into California 2.0.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3

No problem sounds good. Do me a favor in return if you guys leave California and god forbid end up moving to Montana, Texas, Colorado etc. please leave the California political views behind. Let’s stop trying to change the other states into California 2.0.
Amen brother!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2019, 04:00 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Amen.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Rob - an old colleague of mine (from my old Firm), called me yesterday - out of the blue. Interested in joining the technology world. He lives in Denver and we caught up quite a bit. Such a good guy. His daughter's are both brainiacs and his oldest got into Harvard, MIT and CU in Boulder. And she picked Boulder. i chuckled and told him about this dialog. . And this was after she visited all 3 and just felt that CU was a better fit all around. Not better per se - just better for her. His youngest is a senior and is getting into some top schools already. Sounds like your daughter - combination of smarts and good schools = top universities and good opportunities. Boulder is pretty hard to beat - especially for a college experience. In my next life, i would have a hard time picking between UT and there. Assuming of course i could even get in...

Had a great drive this morning up the coast and then over a Canyon and then back down to the Westside. Its 74 degrees and perfect today . Although we had a colder/rainy winter. LA became Portland for a while. Although we certainly needed the rain.
Too funny! CU over Harvard or MIT? That is a kid who wants a real college experience! I hear UT is pretty awesome too. Tough life picking between those two schools. Ultimately i told my daughter to go somewhere she was going to get the full experience. Hard to go wrong with either!

Sounds like a nice drive! I need to do a west coast road trip!

Old 03-16-2019, 04:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gef3rd
I remember reading about Google and their hiring practices:

https://mic.com/articles/83377/3-sim...ads#.LRn5uLRtI

They also recruit some young talent:

https://www.elitereaders.com/nikos-a...ld-programmer/

I had a friend years ago that worked in HR at Kodak. Kodak used a multitude of metrics/psychological testing in determining new hires. I asked him what metric best determined success at their company. He responded “height”.

I get the whole socal vs norcal thing but i liked the vibe a lot more in socal. Maybe it was the weather and beach environment. Norcal was too cold for me. Way different lifestyles imo.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a few friends in Whitefish. I will probably buy a place there in the next few years. As far as political views, I’m in the minority in California. I would guess, outside of not owning any firearms, I’m as far right as you (based on your tone). The new tax laws are a giant f u to all the democratic, highly taxed states. Only real solution for those taxpayers is rental property and/or the 20% QBI deduction.

There’s always trade offs in any situation. I just wish people across the US would stop watching the Rose Bowl. Every time it’s 72 degrees and sunny I can hear the moving trucks getting ready to roll.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
good day today in California :-)
I had breakfast on the deck at Nepenthe along the coast in Big Sur this morning and was tempted to post a pic but felt like it would be rubbing salt in the wound of our fellow Rennlisters in colder climes. Weather could not have been more perfect. Just got back from the driving range in Pebble, now watching F1 qualifying with the family room doors wide open to the patio. Heading over to the beach with the pup in a bit. California has its advantages for sure.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:11 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Gef3rd,
Whitefish, Flathead, Bozeman are beautiful pieces. All getting bought up by folks relocating from the West Coast. The real estate costs in those areas are going up pretty quickly. I think the northern, central, and eastern part of the state, don’t see that as much. It’s a different kind of Montana kind a like Northern California versus Southern California just a bit more extreme.

Hang in there with the conservative economic ideals. I’m routing for you. You’re definitely in the minority. Don’t worry about the guns, you can’t own them out there anyway ;-)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Gef3rd,
Whitefish, Flathead, Bozeman are beautiful pieces.
My wife and I honeymooned in Glacier and fished Flathead on the last day. Epically beautiful.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?