Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
Interesting, although you did go through two significant downturns in the market in that timeframe. I was in high school during the dotcom bust I guess you'd call it. How did it compare to the 2008 Housing Crisis four housing prices?
That's my point. There are always cycles here and the troughs can be deep. In Dallas, the market tanks and your $500k house becomes worth $400k. Here, the market tanks and your $2 million house becomes worth $1.2 million. The ability to lose serious money in residential real estate here is very real, but people tend to have short memories. We moved here right after a bust and lived through two since then. Another one is coming. Just a matter of when.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That's my point. There are always cycles here and the troughs can be deep. In Dallas, the market tanks and your $500k house becomes worth $400k. Here, the market tanks and your $2 million house becomes worth $1.2 million. The ability to lose serious money in residential real estate here is very real, but people tend to have short memories. We moved here right after a bust and lived through two since then. Another one is coming. Just a matter of when.
I think you guys are in the middle of a bust as we speak. No crystal ball, but I would not be surprised if it is a whopper. The inability to write off the full SALT isn't going to help.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I think you guys are in the middle of a bust as we speak. No crystal ball, but I would not be surprised if it is a whopper. The inability to write off the full SALT isn't going to help.
Not in the Bay Area. Market has cooled but hasn't fallen. And there are about to be thousands of new millionaires in the Bay Area this year when all the IPOs hit. There is a concern that so much money is going to flow in when Uber, et al. go public this year that the market in SF will be forever changed.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not in the Bay Area. Market has cooled but hasn't fallen. And there are about to be thousands of new millionaires in the Bay Area this year when all the IPOs hit. There is a concern that so much money is going to flow in when Uber, et al. go public this year that the market in SF will be forever changed.
I guess only time will tell.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Speaking of elite California universities....

USC officials fired its famed water polo coach, Jovan Vanvic, who allegedly accepted bribes in exchange for scholarships for children of the rich. USC also terminated Donna Heinel, the school's senior associate athletic director, who was also charged.

Stanford University also fired its longtime sailing coach John Vandemoer, who has already pleaded guilty to federal charges of racketeering conspiracy.

Vanvic, 57, who led the USC Trojans to 16 NCAA national championships, was arrested Tuesday in Hawaii at a Waikiki hotel. He made his first appearance in federal court Tuesday afternoon wearing a gold and cardinal red USC athletic jacket.

The entire scam looks like it was run out of Hollywood.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Since I'm one on the few that has seen your house, please leave OKC and gift it to me since I couldn't afford to purchase your stunning home. If not an option then perhaps one of your extra cars will do instead. Also, I'm sure most of the crew in the "Red" run groups from tracks across the Midwest will be happy to see you go since you routinely kick everyone's butt on the track. Anyway, best of luck on your decision, but from a fellow Okie Santa Barbara is the pick.

P.S. Thanks again for the roof rack!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Speaking of elite California universities....

USC officials fired its famed water polo coach, Jovan Vanvic, who allegedly accepted bribes in exchange for scholarships for children of the rich. USC also terminated Donna Heinel, the school's senior associate athletic director, who was also charged.

Stanford University also fired its longtime sailing coach John Vandemoer, who has already pleaded guilty to federal charges of racketeering conspiracy.

Vanvic, 57, who led the USC Trojans to 16 NCAA national championships, was arrested Tuesday in Hawaii at a Waikiki hotel. He made his first appearance in federal court Tuesday afternoon wearing a gold and cardinal red USC athletic jacket.

The entire scam looks like it was run out of Hollywood.
Scam was run out of Newport Beach which is 50-60 miles from Hollywood. And it stretched all the way to Yale. Parents were all over the state and out of state, to include CEO's, Napa wine guy etc.

Make sure you have all the facts vs turning this into more anti So Cal stuff.. Parents that were most high profile were the Hollywood parents. Disgusting for sure.

If i remember correctly - your beloved CU was involved in one of the top NCAA scandals of all time in the 2000's with football players, strippers, sexual assault etc. Not 100% clean either.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by rodsky
Scam was run out of Newport Beach which is 50-60 miles from Hollywood. And it stretched all the way to Yale. Parents were all over the state and out of state, to include CEO's, Napa wine guy etc.

Make sure you have all the facts vs turning this into more anti So Cal stuff.. Parents that were most high profile were the Hollywood parents. Disgusting for sure.

If i remember correctly - your beloved CU was involved in one of the top NCAA scandals of all time in the 2000's with football players, strippers, sexual assault etc. Not 100% clean either.
Not making this anti-California because i am not. Definitely thought i read that the guy Singer was operating out of Hollywood but could be wrong. Not that Newport changes anything really. But i do find it ironic that i was talking about how we moved out of California to give our daughter a better chance in life, and to get into a good school. And then this college admission scandal erupts, and it involves several big name California universities.

Pretty ironic really. lol
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Yes! There was a huge cheating scandal at CU but this was the kids not the parents. Still was bad and CU made changes because of it. I don’t remember anything about strippers! lol i need to look into that.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Not making this anti-California because i am not. Definitely thought i read that the guy Singer was operating out of Hollywood but could be wrong. Not that Newport changes anything really. But i do find it ironic that i was talking about how we moved out of California to give our daughter a better chance in life, and to get into a good school. And then this college admission scandal erupts, and it involves several big name California universities.

Pretty ironic really. lol
This scandal is hitting close to home. I think this may have reached into the private school my daughter is at - yikes! i think a fraudulent SAT test may have occurred there.

I did smile when i read your story - about moving out of CA - only so she could get a job at Google in CA and then this erupts. Weird huh?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

This scandal is hitting close to home. I think this may have reached into the private school my daughter is at - yikes! i think a fraudulent SAT test may have occurred there.

I did smile when i read your story - about moving out of CA - only so she could get a job at Google in CA and then this erupts. Weird huh?
Unbelievable. I am sure SAT scores are part of this, and it will touch a lot of people. This scandal is hitting hard in a lot of homes. Parents who’s kids got rejected at top schools now are wondering if this had anything to do with it. I am wondering who got paid at our daughter’s old HS in California which made it impossible for her to get into AP courses?

Really ironic that we were discussing this very topic when this erupts! But it does get back to people thinking of moving to California, and things to consider if they have kids. People are making it tougher for hard working honest kids to get into good schools (elementary, high school and university) by bribing, fraudulent test scores, etc.

It really underscores what some of us are saying about how things have changed. In 1987 i was accepted at USC with a 3.0 GPA tranferring from a JC. Today you need $500k in unmarked bills to do that.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by USGooner
......Anyway, best of luck on your decision, but from a fellow Okie Santa Barbara is the pick....
Good! We are back OT. I would definitely second SB as one of my top personal picks for reasons already expressed in this thread and the very important fact that it has its own very nice little commercial airport that lets you opt out of having to spend most of the day driving down to LAX.

If you want something a little more remote, close to nature, and just jaw-droppingly gorgeous, look a little further up the 101 at Hollister Ranch.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

The lawsuits are going to start flying against these universities as parents start realizing why their kids didn’t get in at USC, UCLA, Stanford, Yale and many others.

In telephone conversations intercepted by investigators, Singer brags he helped 760 students in just the first few months of 2018.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

i love the passion on both sides in this thread. all this strong passion means CA is doing something right. sorta like all the passion porsche owners show means porsche is doing something right but both are expensive but we still love them

lived in LA for 39 years now and have visited most places around the country and wouldn't consider anywhere else.

if you have the money and connections CA stands alone. we create most of what everyone else sees and buys around the country. from tesla to okta to vmware to google to this very forum we're on which is based in LA

i work in Manhattan beach/Hawthorne in aerospace and live in Culver city/Baldwin hills and love all parts of LA and CA in general but the further you get inland the less appealing it becomes but it gets vastly cheaper
Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bmw_e30
we create most of what everyone else sees and buys around the country.
Keep telling yourself that.

I didn't know Porsche was made in CA

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?