Notices

California lifestyle?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:30 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are seriously considering Southern California, the South Bay (Palos Verdes to Manhattan Beach) is an amazing place. PM me for more details if you like.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is turning into my favourite thread! I live in the Swiss mountains and am very grateful for all the perks we have here such as free education, high wages, high security, clean air, great roads and low taxes. With that being said, I'm very, very tempted to move the the USA once I finish university, as it would allow me to start my career with no debt and starting capital available. I feel that the American business culture is yet on another level and the vibes you get, especially in Arizona / California, are incredible. Also, we don't have proper cheerleaders here in Switzerland!! Then again, you guys don't have factory roll cages in your RS cars which is an equal pity!

Drive safely!

Last edited by MerlinRS; 03-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

you're this guy in the article
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...311-story.html

only poor people leave paradise
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_4261617.html
Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Anecdotal and market timing luck. I bought in 1999, sold in 2016. Got a ridiculous price for a small house in a very good neighborhood. My 17 year compounded return on investment, giving consideration to the remodeling costs on the house, was just over 5 percent. Worse than if I had put the money in the market and rented. This is not atypical of the Bay Area. Over the long term, there is a return, but it's not like buying Apple years ago. Oh, and in California, the gain on your house is taxed as ordinary income, not at a reduced capital gains rate. California has no State capital gains tax rates.

Sure you can get lucky out here and happen to time the market perfectly, but it's no different than market timing with equities. Mostly luck. Over the long term real estate rises and falls significantly here, and the long term trend line is not a hockey stick. And given how dramatic the down trends can be and how extended they can last, I tell anyone buying here, you need to have enough wealth to be able to stay in your house for five years even if things go south, or you risk having to sell into a downturn and getting killed.

When I bought our current house last year, I went in assuming that 1/3rd of the value could easily disappear in the next 2-10 years.
Interesting, although you did go through two significant downturns in the market in that timeframe. I was in high school during the dotcom bust I guess you'd call it. How did it compare to the 2008 Housing Crisis four housing prices?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinRS
This is turning into my favourite thread! I live in the Swiss mountains and am very grateful for all the perks we have here such as free education, high wages, high security, clean air, great roads and low taxes. With that being said, I'm very, very tempted to move the the USA once I finish university, as it would allow me to start my career with no debt and starting capital available. I feel that the American business culture is yet on another level and the vibes you get, especially in Arizona / California, are incredible. Also, we don't have proper cheerleaders here in Switzerland!! Then again, you guys don't have factory roll cages in your RS cars which is an equal pity!

I am going to try to do an exchange semester in the US in two years to gauge quality of life in the US. My family, girlfriend and friends are all living in Switzerland, plus my education is in finance, so I have a much better understanding of Swiss finance & taxation whereas in the US it seems to be much different. I quickly opened a tax calculator and saw that, if you earned 250'000$ in Arizona, (assuming single, no 401k / IRA contributions), your total tax rate would be around 33% (80'900$). Is this correct? In Switzerland, it would be between 20% and 25%, if you live in a good region. How much can you generally deduct from your yearly gross income in the US?

In school, we had an interesting comparison of median and average wealth per adult: In Switzerland, average wealth is 530'000$ per adult, in the USA it's 404'000$. Median wealth in Switzerland is at 183'000$, whereas in the USA it's at just 61'000$!

Factoring in COL differences, Switzerland's average purchasing power is still slightly above the US. However, it seems that the hard- and smart working ones are rewarded exponentially in the US, whereas in Switzerland, it's a little more even. Is my understanding correct that in Switzerland it's "easier" to reach high net worth but "harder" to reach ultra high net worth? Then again, say if you make 200k in Arizona, a lot is left over for a GT3 RS, whereas in California (or Switzerland) a lot would be lost due to higher COL.

I guess in the end it's about where your friends are and where one feels the happiest I'm very grateful for all the travelling opportunities we have in this day and age. Love the American culture.

Drive safely!
How much immigration does Switzerland have?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

I love CA, especially Southern CA.

So for all those who have issues with CA, not going to argue with you. But please feel free to stay away. Permanently.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:43 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I love CA, especially Southern CA.

So for all those who have issues with CA, not going to argue with you. But please feel free to stay away. Permanently.
Lol! Lord knows we dont need more people and more traffic.

There are days like today when i flew back into LAX from SFO and the ****ty traffic and poor roads and the LAX construction (roads have potholes from all the rain we just had), will drive you insane. Even though its only 30 minutes home. And then i go why am i f'ing here. I dont have patience for all of that. But thats the bad that you have to take. In 2-3 days we will have sunshine and 70+ degree weather for as many days out as my iphone reads. And lovely cool evenings. However, then there are the eye watering bills for private school and all the school cheating scandals because people are trying to keep up with the Jones. And then there are the great golf courses and year round playing. And the beach, ocean views. and then there are the high taxes. so back and forth we go. Good and bad. Nowhere is perfect. Tomorrow i go to work in Santa Monica - really enjoy it - young, energetic, vibrant, people - going for it. Fun tech environment - for sure. You can do well here, but You have to pay to play - and you get f'ed on taxes. You gotta take the good with the bad. You gotta like crowds - except on holidays when they leave and then LA is perfect. And at 6am on weekends - when everyone is sleeping. Get in the car and drive or go to the golf course.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

This thread has gotten insane.
Look if you value an active and outdoor and automotive enthusiast lifestyle California is hard to beat.
You put up with the crap the cost and taxes and traffic and crazies to get it
and if you work in tech there is absolutely no better place to be with access to capital and resources.
i lived elsewhere for several years and all i have to say is fk snow
wife and i have 4 other places worldwide we’d love and all have similar climates to SoCal. None in us.
So stop bitch8ng and enjoy the sunshine.
Should have videoed my drive down pch this afternoon. .....
Old 03-13-2019, 02:54 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

There are days like today when i flew back into LAX from SFO and the ****ty traffic and poor roads and the LAX construction (roads have potholes from all the rain we just had), will drive you insane. Even though its only 30 minutes home. And then i go why am i f'ing here. I dont have patience for all of that. But thats the bad that you have to take. In 2-3 days we will have sunshine and 70+ degree weather for as many days out as my iphone reads. And lovely cool evenings. However, then there are the eye watering bills for private school and all the school cheating scandals because people are trying to keep up with the Jones. And then there are the great golf courses and year round playing. And the beach, ocean views. and then there are the high taxes. so back and forth we go. Good and bad. Nowhere is perfect. Tomorrow i go to work in Santa Monica - really enjoy it - young, energetic, vibrant, people - going for it. Fun tech environment - for sure. You can do well here, but You have to pay to play - and you get f'ed on taxes. You gotta take the good with the bad. You gotta like crowds - except on holidays when they leave and then LA is perfect. And at 6am on weekends - when everyone is sleeping. Get in the car and drive or go to the golf course.
Yeah, California is a place with amazing highs, and brutal lows. Great weather. Huge job market. Amazing women. Beaches. Soul crushing traffic. Very high taxes. Outrageous COL. There is no free lunch. But every place has highs and lows. Florida has no state income taxes and relatively affordable real estate. But it is hot as ***** in the summer, and you have bugs and hurricanes. But the beaches are nice and the water is warm. Colorado has low taxes, low humidity, beautiful scenery, tons to do if you like the outdoors, it is less crowded, and it is driving heaven. But we get snow, and it gets cold.

It all comes down to what you choose to prioritize. What matters most to you? What BS can you put up with, and what crap is a no-go.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
This thread has gotten insane.
Yet, here you are
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM
robmypro
Race Director

This thread has legs for a reason. If you are thinking about moving to California at least you will have your eyes wide open after reading this. There are some fantastic things about the state. Places that are unrivaled anywhere. But there is no free lunch. There are just as many huge negatives. My advice? If you have kids and they are struggling to get into UCLA, USC, Berkely or Stanford...don’t pay a bogus charity $500k to get them in. Send them out of state, possibly to CU. They will have a great time, and you will stay out of jail.

Spend the money you save on cars!

Btw, i applied to USC when i was going to a community college. My GPA in college was 3.0. I get accepted. This was 1987. Today it takes a $500k bribe to a “charity” with those grades to get in. Unfortunately my mom became unemployed right at that point, so i ended up going to Fullerton.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM
gt3.997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

^ this is 100% how I feel. Being a Canadian ex-pat - I have a great appreciation for the things California has to offer (and the tax rate doesn't feel as abnormal to me for obvious reasons).
There truly is nothing better than being able to get into your car any month, any week, or any day and going for a drive or go to a track day. The car culture is incredible, and being able to enjoy it, as well as golf 365 - I'm not complaining.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:51 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

My wife and I were discussing this thread yesterday and the way we see it is that you have to find a balance that YOU are happy with no matter where you live.

If you move somewhere that is too expensive for you to properly enjoy, you will likely have a poor experience. However, if you only consider cost of living, you will likely end up some where you hate even more.

We could move to Alabama and live like saudi royalty but we would also have a terrible quality of life. You have to draw the line somewhere. CA offers the best balance between what makes us happy and what we can comfortably afford without sacrificing how we like to live our lives. Everyone needs to find that balance for themselves.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by phow
My wife and I were discussing this thread yesterday and the way we see it is that you have to find a balance that YOU are happy with no matter where you live.

If you move somewhere that is too expensive for you to properly enjoy, you will likely have a poor experience. However, if you only consider cost of living, you will likely end up some where you hate even more.

We could move to Alabama and live like saudi royalty but we would also have a terrible quality of life. You have to draw the line somewhere. CA offers the best balance between what makes us happy and what we can comfortably afford without sacrificing how we like to live our lives. Everyone needs to find that balance for themselves.
Well said!
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

The thread is somewhat reminiscent of the old Yogi Berra quip, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." I've been here off and on since 1987. There's a picture of me as a college student at the USC-Notre Dame game in the Coliseum that surfaced recently. Tim Brown has just made a Heisman worthy splash and John Carney is about to kick the game winning field goal. It's definitely been a love hate relationship with SoCal for me, for all the reasons in this thread. I made the decision to relocate to Incline Village. I skied Squaw Valley a couple days ago. But I have elderly parents in San Diego so I've checked out but I haven't left [tip of the cap to Don Henley]. For all the people who are offended by the critiques, see Yogi Berra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California lifestyle?