Sponsored by:

RE10 Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts
Default RE10 Pads

I have read some posts stating that RE10 pads are not noisy on or off the street. Can anyone that has RE10 pads give some input on noise levels when used on street and track? Also, whether you are on stock rotors or not with that info. Thanks
Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I run Race Technologies RE10's on both my 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS. Once in a while they get noisy on the street (not sure what the trigger is), then I just go to the track and the noise goes away. I run GiroDisc rotors and prefer the RE10's over DS1.11's any day.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:43 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I had them on my car last track season, they are still there with maybe 2 DE's left in them. I have Giro's. No noise whatsoever. The only thing that I have noticed as compared to PAGID's is that they don't work well until they are hot. Not an issue for the track, but I got lazy and use them in the street for about 200 miles per year and they don't bite when cold. The MFG indicates that they will breakdown prematurely when not at operating temperature. Personally, I think they are great on track and have noticed they last longer than the Pagid's and are easier on the rotors after only one season. I definitely recommend trying them. My driving has to get a lot better before I will even think about a change to a more aggressive pad. Downside, they are not cheap!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
I run Race Technologies RE10's on both my 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS. Once in a while they get noisy on the street (not sure what the trigger is), then I just go to the track and the noise goes away. I run GiroDisc rotors and prefer the RE10's over DS1.11's any day.
They just need to be bedded in again when they get noisy - it just means they’ve been used too gently and have worn off the pad transfer layer from the rotor. This is why the track cures it (or you can repeat bedding process on the street).

Great pads!!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

They dust like crazy on the street, so if you're paranoid about clean wheels . . . just sayin'.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krell
They dust like crazy on the street, so if you're paranoid about clean wheels . . . just sayin'.
I thought mine dusted less than stock pads...
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Ran RE10s this past DE season and they aren’t noisy on the track and hardly squeak on the street...downside, be prepared to clean your wheels regularly. They are easy on rotors and not at the expense of performance...they are great pads!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Akunob
Ran RE10s this past DE season and they aren’t noisy on the track and hardly squeak on the street...downside, be prepared to clean your wheels regularly. They are easy on rotors and not at the expense of performance...they are great pads!
What rotors were you using?
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
What rotors were you using?
I am using Girodisc rotors paired with OEM yellow calipers and RE-10 pads. Great set up for the track, haven't even had to replace my discs yet (might need to do so after 3-4 more events). Great economical set-up for track use! I'm sure there are better and more expensive brake kits out there but for my DE needs, I doubt I'll notice the 2-5% difference in performance from a more expensive brake kit. My PCCB rotors are stored away for when I revert the car back to 100% street use. Hope this helps...
Old 03-17-2019, 10:21 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Can someone help me to understand something and troubleshoot? I bought RE10 pads for my 991.2 Targa GTS and put them on stock rotors that had already went through a set of stock pads. The fronts dont make any serious noise. However, the rears are loud. I did the bed in procedure that Race Technologies sent with pads. There was still, if not more, lots of noise on partial braking. I also did a heavily spirited run with lots of breaking, did not help aftward, sound actually increased. The noise is pretty ridiculous, especially coming to a stop. However, they do it with light braking in the 30-70 mph range sometimes as well. I started this thread to see if anyone was running on stock rotors, which no one claimed to be. So, I felt good about the noise possibly going away with my new rotors I had coming. I got my set of AP Racing rotors for the 991.2 GTS this Friday. I knew it was kinda a long shot, but I thought there was a chance. Well, sound started within first day of driving. It perplexes me since there is no reported real noise from GT3, GT4 guys and no noise from my fronts. So, I took the centerlocks off again a few more times trying to solve the issue. The noise sounded like the noise from the rattle clips rubbing the back of pad, so I greased them and even filed down part of the area that showed signs of lots of rubbing. Then I realized there is noise from pad backing holes rubbing on guide pin, so I greased them as well. None of this accomplished anything. There is no shim on the back of the RE10s and havent tried to make on for it yet. What components in the rears of 991.2 GTS vs rears of GT3 of GT4 could cause such a variation? Anyone have any ideas? Am I going to have to resort to buying another set of stock pads and swapping pads and rotors before track events?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was told to scrub off the existing stock pad material from the rotors with Simple Green and those 3M green pads used for cleaning pots and pans, before installing the RE10’s. Seemed to work very well for me on my GT4 - very quiet and great performance.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
I was told to scrub off the existing stock pad material from the rotors with Simple Green and those 3M green pads used for cleaning pots and pans, before installing the RE10’s. Seemed to work very well for me on my GT4 - very quiet and great performance.
I tried that on the original rotors. Didnt help me. Also, I have the pads on brand new rotors now, never touched another pad before. Still sound followed.

Quick Reply: RE10 Pads