Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS purchase and ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:23 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
With the 991.2 generation, GT3 RS makes no sense if not tracking. GT3 (non RS) is better for street driving and cheaper. So it all depends on what itch you are trying to scratch:

Driver's car for public roads - GT3
Streetable track car - RS
Exotic car - consider other options because that's not where GT3 or RS have their core strengths - their level of "exoticness" is about proportional to their price, without much of an advantage compared to other options.
Having owned a 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 and now owning a 991.2 GT3 RS, I'll be the weird one out and say that I actually prefer my RS in every way. I don't track my cars, I only drive them on the road. Even so, I think the RS is more fun, more comfortable (yes, I'm serious), and more special than the regular GT3. Even on regular roads. After having owned both I would pick the RS every time without hesitation.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 PM
GT288
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Having owned a 991.1 and 991.2 GT3 and now owning a 991.2 GT3 RS, I'll be the weird one out and say that I actually prefer my RS in every way. I don't track my cars, I only drive them on the road. Even so, I think the RS is more fun, more comfortable (yes, I'm serious), and more special than the regular GT3. Even on regular roads. After having owned both I would pick the RS every time without hesitation.
What color is yours? Does it draw a crowd?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:41 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT288
What color is yours? Does it draw a crowd?
Mine is Miami Blue and it gets a lot more attention than I thought it would. I had a Huracan before so I'm used to it, still didn't expect much attention in a Porsche even if it has a big wing and a crazy color.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Street: 991 R
Track: GT2RS-MR

GT3 RS is a heavy compromise of the two above for street/track use, and the 991.2 GT3 is a better value, then choose a Touring for street and light track or a GT3 for street and more track, or a GT3 RS for barely any street and even more track, but be ready for blinkers when Turbo S and GT2RS approach you at Driver's Education Championship Races.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 PM
GT288
Instructor

Mine is Miami Blue and it gets a lot more attention than I thought it would. I had a Huracan before so I'm used to it, still didn't expect much attention in a Porsche even if it has a big wing and a crazy color.
So it's not looked at as a normal 911 with a wing on it then? Nice. I think what I've been looking for has been answered. How does it drive compared to the Huracan? Do you plan on getting rid of it any time soon? That's another concern. WHY do people rant and rave about them then get rid of them within 6 months or so. I never understood it. Which of course is one of the main reasons why this thread was made.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT288
So it's not looked at as a normal 911 with a wing on it then? Nice. I think what I've been looking for has been answered. How does it drive compared to the Huracan? Do you plan on getting rid of it any time soon? That's another concern. WHY do people rant and rave about them then get rid of them within 6 months or so. I never understood it. Which of course is one of the main reasons why this thread was made.
Well, here are my thoughts. First, with regards to the Huracan, there really is no comparison. I hated the way the Huracan drove. It felt big, heavy, numb, and boring. It instilled zero confidence, and it just wasn't fun at all to drive. Also, the interior of the Huracan had a lot of cheap materials, the seats were uncomfortable, it was extremely cramped, etc. I could live with all those things if it was just fun to drive, but it wasn't. The RS is just so much lighter, nimbler, and sharper all around. It's a totally different experience. I tried my friend's Performante, and to be totally honest it wasn't much better to me than my regular Huracan. Of course the Aventador is even heavier and more boring, so Lambo is off my list for now even though I love the way they look. I just can't have a car that looks cool but I don't enjoy driving.

As for my RS, this is a car I'm planning to keep for years. I love it, and I honestly don't know what I'd replace it with. Not a Lambo for the reasons I outlined above. Ferrari? I like the way the 488 and F8 look, but I tried to buy a 488 when they came out and the dealer laughed in my face and basically told me there was zero chance. That was my first impression of Ferrari, and what I've read and heard since about the company, dealers, and owners hasn't been very flattering, so I'm not particularly drawn to them right now. Especially now that the F8 came out which is basically the third iteration of the 458, which was disappointing.

Then there's McLaren. The 720S is fast, but I still don't think it's a good looking car. I know even if I loved driving it (and from everything I've heard, it's just fast but not very fun to drive) I just wouldn't be excited about looking at it. The 600LT would probably be the only one of their current offerings I would consider, but I've had many friends that have owned or currently own McLarens, and their experiences haven't all been great. Several of them had severe reliability issues, had the cars in the shop for months and tens of thousands in warranty claims, and several eventually migrated to Porsche or Lambo because they were tired of reliability headaches or high depreciation. I've also heard that McLaren are starting to get a little sketchy with warranty claims and not covering things that are known weaknesses on the cars. Personally I just don't have the time or energy to deal with problems, whether they are small or big. I'm too OCD about my cars to live with a defect until the next service, and I'm too busy to take them to the dealer for everything. Not to mention having to be without the car for however long it takes. It's just a hassle I'm not interested in right now.

There's also the GT2 RS, but I think the price delta between the 3 and 2 RS is more than the extra enjoyment I'd get, and I'd also have to give up the NA engine and the 9K RPM.. I haven't tried one, maybe it's for the best. Maybe if I tried one I'd have to have it, but that's the only car currently on the market I could possibly see myself trading for.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, not to be rude, but have you driven the various cars you are considering? They should be driven before a decision is made, assuming you will actually drive what you purchase. No matter how good the person communicating their impressions of a single drive, track time, or long term ownership is, there is no substitute for even a brief amount of seat time.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:31 PM
GT288
Instructor

That's the response I was looking for.

Once the 675LT was off the list. I've been all over the place. I was in Vegas at the end of January and thought about doing the Dreamracing event where you get to do 5 to I think 10 laps in each super car. Driving a car on the track for 5 laps is completely different to owning one. I like to talk to owners before I do anything. Any dealer will tell you something to buy a car. I think it doesn't do me much good to test drive and buy a car out of pure excitement. Then I'm out $10K 2 months later for issues I didn't know about. Ferrari Owners are more friendlier from my experience. I found Mclaren owners being the arrogant ones. I've never been much of a Lamborghini fan if it's not a V12. Huracans are like the Hondas of the super car world now. Now I know the Performante isn't much different there no point in looking that direction. I too like the F8 and Pista. But even if I got a chance for an allocation by the time it comes out I'd probably move on to something else.

The GT2 is my dream 911. Seeing the 993 GT2 and 996 GT2 with the distinctive spoiler back in the day did it for me. I was sold. Not being able to get a 997 GT2 which is the last manual during the recession I told myself when the next one comes out I'll get it. When I heard rumors that Porsche was done with the GT2 for the 991 generation I was let down when the 991.1 GT3 came out. Fast forward to now we see the GT2 RS. Since the GT3 RS has the turbo body and face lift. I think it's a great deal. Haven't heard anything too serious about the GT3 RS and that they hate the car. I definitely feel more comfortable now since a lot of guys on this forum has owned other cars then came back because of issues or lack of satisfaction from other brands.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Like others have said, it's a great time to be in the sports car market - so many options.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:34 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a GT3 Touring and 991.1 GT3RS. I haven’t tracked either because i have race cars. I will say though even driving on the street they both super fun and engaging in different ways. I couldn’t pick one over the other. The RS is just so beautiful to look and thrilling to drive...instant mood uplifter!!!
The Touring a loud and very raw 911 with an engine to die for!
Old 03-05-2019, 02:34 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

I DD'd an M4 and have a red Ferrari Scuderia of which the attention was really annoying on that one, like your a fish in a fishtank. I now as of 2 months ago DD a 19 Miami blue 3rs and could not agree more with what Reacher stated, the surprising thing was how much attention the 3rs gets in that color. I did not think it compares to the Ferrari attention still, but it is close. Not as much, but still close. That and the seats I think are very upright which you have to be ready for, took me 2 weeks to get used to it. My back kinda hurt for the first week or two no joke and I just turned 30 and am in good shape.

The good: Everything, seriously. It makes the scuderia, a 997 gt3, 991 gt3 pdk, a 16 Carrera gts, 458, 570, etc, feel honestly outdated. The steering feel is a 10/10, the engine and exhaust noise are 10/10, the cockpit feel is 10/10. The styling is an 11/10 imo and I get SO many compliments on the color which I never expected as a lot can think it is "out there". The car is the perfect enthusiast dd for someone willing to just say yolo, I am okay with driving a porsche with a yuge ****. I would say if u got it in black as I originally was going to order it will go more under the radar and you will get more smiles per mile with no stress than any other car on the planet. I plan on keeping mine a long long time, minimum 5-10 years.

Don't buy the robotic boring mclarens, the stale lambos, or the inferior built Ferrari's. I've driven them all. As someone that once upon a time thought they would dd a Ferrari, no way anymore. Porsche's are just built so much better and I dont get that try hard embarrassment of the Ferrari. I Love driving cars, all cars really but hate car attention though, its just awkward. Get the 3rs, it is a no brainer. and cost wise, yeah fun per dollar at that level of exotic is impossible to beat.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Hate to say it some of these cars cost more than many homes is why people stare. I get looks in my Ferrari but, but I have no problem letting a kid sit in the seat as we were all kids. Just enjoy the cars, and let others share in the enjoyment is what I believe. We’re all blessed, but stars never bother me .......Ferrari will just get more looks because most don’t know what a GT car is but us gear heads.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Well, here are my thoughts. First, with regards to the Huracan, there really is no comparison. I hated the way the Huracan drove. It felt big, heavy, numb, and boring. It instilled zero confidence, and it just wasn't fun at all to drive. Also, the interior of the Huracan had a lot of cheap materials, the seats were uncomfortable, it was extremely cramped, etc. I could live with all those things if it was just fun to drive, but it wasn't. The RS is just so much lighter, nimbler, and sharper all around. It's a totally different experience. I tried my friend's Performante, and to be totally honest it wasn't much better to me than my regular Huracan. Of course the Aventador is even heavier and more boring, so Lambo is off my list for now even though I love the way they look. I just can't have a car that looks cool but I don't enjoy driving.

As for my RS, this is a car I'm planning to keep for years. I love it, and I honestly don't know what I'd replace it with. Not a Lambo for the reasons I outlined above. Ferrari? I like the way the 488 and F8 look, but I tried to buy a 488 when they came out and the dealer laughed in my face and basically told me there was zero chance. That was my first impression of Ferrari, and what I've read and heard since about the company, dealers, and owners hasn't been very flattering, so I'm not particularly drawn to them right now. Especially now that the F8 came out which is basically the third iteration of the 458, which was disappointing.

Then there's McLaren. The 720S is fast, but I still don't think it's a good looking car. I know even if I loved driving it (and from everything I've heard, it's just fast but not very fun to drive) I just wouldn't be excited about looking at it. The 600LT would probably be the only one of their current offerings I would consider, but I've had many friends that have owned or currently own McLarens, and their experiences haven't all been great. Several of them had severe reliability issues, had the cars in the shop for months and tens of thousands in warranty claims, and several eventually migrated to Porsche or Lambo because they were tired of reliability headaches or high depreciation. I've also heard that McLaren are starting to get a little sketchy with warranty claims and not covering things that are known weaknesses on the cars. Personally I just don't have the time or energy to deal with problems, whether they are small or big. I'm too OCD about my cars to live with a defect until the next service, and I'm too busy to take them to the dealer for everything. Not to mention having to be without the car for however long it takes. It's just a hassle I'm not interested in right now.

There's also the GT2 RS, but I think the price delta between the 3 and 2 RS is more than the extra enjoyment I'd get, and I'd also have to give up the NA engine and the 9K RPM.. I haven't tried one, maybe it's for the best. Maybe if I tried one I'd have to have it, but that's the only car currently on the market I could possibly see myself trading for.
Excellent post. 👍
Spot on.
While the 2RS is epic and I love it I prefer the 3RS. On average the 2RS is 2 seconds a lap quicker on most tracks. Under that on shorter tracks. The difference? A 700 hp TT engine. Easy. However, when compared side by side many, not all have walked away preferring the 3RS. Evo most notably. Why?..., it’s more of a drivers car and it’s limits more accessible. This is Bourne out by posts on the ED threads noting at DEs the 3RSs were turning the fastest laps of the day not the 2RS. The 3RS is still fast enough to make it faster than a 2RS depending on driver. Think about that a minute.

To put things in perspective about the 3RS I don’t think any one would say the Viper ACR is a slow car. The 3RS is actually faster. See above.

We all have our likes and priorities. I love the fact the 3RS NA 4.0 is Motorsport and basically the Cup motor now. I love the fact the RS is the homologation car for the RSR and GT3R.

Cars compete in classes ergo GT1, 2, 3 etc.
Now of course the naminclature is different.
The 3RS doesn’t and wouldn’t compete against a 2RS.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:13 AM
hashash
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Excellent post. 👍
Spot on.
While the 2RS is epic and I love it I prefer the 3RS. On average the 2RS is 2 seconds a lap quicker on most tracks. Under that on shorter tracks. The difference? A 700 hp TT engine. Easy. However, when compared side by side many, not all have walked away preferring the 3RS. Evo most notably. Why?..., it’s more of a drivers car and it’s limits more accessible. This is Bourne out by posts on the ED threads noting at DEs the 3RSs were turning the fastest laps of the day not the 2RS. The 3RS is still fast enough to make it faster than a 2RS depending on driver. Think about that a minute.

To put things in perspective about the 3RS I don’t think any one would say the Viper ACR is a slow car. The 3RS is actually faster. See above.

We all have our likes and priorities. I love the fact the 3RS NA 4.0 is Motorsport and basically the Cup motor now. I love the fact the RS is the homologation car for the RSR and GT3R.

Cars compete in classes ergo GT1, 2, 3 etc.
Now of course the naminclature is different.
The 3RS doesn’t and wouldn’t compete against a 2RS.
all i heard from GT3rs and GT2RS owners is that they prefer the 2RS !
Old 03-05-2019, 12:09 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I’ve had them all (Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren) and nothing beats a GT3 or GT3 RS on the road and track. I’ve had the chance to buy a GT2 RS at MSRP and have declined. I’m not sure why, but I haven’t been excited about them. Maybe I should drive one...

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS purchase and ownership