Sponsored by:

orthojoe 991.2 RS at Thunderhill and track talk

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
What is the factory setting for rear toe? did you change rear toe on the 3? did it change the understeer on the car?thanks
Factory is 1.5-2mm toe in rear each side and I kept that. I never felt like the car understeered. If anything, a little bit of corner exit oversteer but that is not a bad thing. I stiffened the front bar to keep the back end more planted on exit, but that might be slower.

Originally Posted by CDinSing
[left]The edges are more worn than the center and inside but not close corded. I admit the first two times out the car was as delivered and the handling was sketchy. The back end would get very light under braking and skip out going through turns 1 and 17 at Sebring. So I was not pushing it hard. The third event I had the car set up with more camber, lowered and much less rake, and more aggressive aero. It feels like a different car. It is stable and planted everywhere as long as I keep the tire pressures below 34. My 7th day was my fastest at 2:19.10 which is 4 seconds faster than the GT3 on new N1 cup2s. That is impressive for “
Yes, the fact that you can run PB times on Dunlops until they cord is impressive indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. It's a mystery to me why some people get really bad rear tire edge wear and others don't. It's not related to how fast they are, either. I've seen edge wear on slower drivers and less edge wear on faster drivers and vice versa. Camber doesn't seem to make a difference either. It could just be the track. Thunderhill seems to really chew up the outer edge of tires compared to laguna or Sonoma.

Originally Posted by robmypro
Awesome stuff, Joe! A lot of really good info. Fascinating how Dunlop leapfrogged Michelin. Now i wonder how good the Dunlops are on the street?
They seem fine to me. I've heard it's not as good as cup2 in the wet
Old 03-03-2019, 11:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Waxer
Great info Joe. To think I was at first disappointed my RS came with the Dunlop’s. Good info and advice 👌
Lol, I'll take them off of you if you don't want them
Old 03-03-2019, 11:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks Joe
Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Factory is 1.5-2mm toe in rear each side and I kept that. I never felt like the car understeered. If anything, a little bit of corner exit oversteer but that is not a bad thing. I stiffened the front bar to keep the back end more planted on exit, but that might be slower.

Yes, the fact that you can run PB times on Dunlops until they cord is impressive indeed. Thanks for sharing the photos. It's a mystery to me why some people get really bad rear tire edge wear and others don't. It's not related to how fast they are, either. I've seen edge wear on slower drivers and less edge wear on faster drivers and vice versa. Camber doesn't seem to make a difference either. It could just be the track. Thunderhill seems to really chew up the outer edge of tires compared to laguna or Sonoma.

They seem fine to me. I've heard it's not as good as cup2 in the wet
Good to know. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2019, 11:57 AM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info , very helpful. Next time I will checkout the Dunlop’s after my Cup2 wears out. Did you ever run buttonwillow ccw13 ? curious about your lap times there on gt3 and RS.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vf430
Good info , very helpful. Next time I will checkout the Dunlop’s after my Cup2 wears out. Did you ever run buttonwillow ccw13 ? curious about your lap times there on gt3 and RS.
I've only been to BW only once in the GT4, but I was slow. I've been driving at thill, laguna, and sonoma for years and years, so I should be quick there. I really liked BW, though. I plan to visit the track again this year. Not sure if it will be in the spec miata or the RS, though. I'd learn the track better in the miata and I wouldnt have to worry about getting sand everywhere in the car when I go off. LOL
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for sharing valuable information. You've been a great source for me, and Peter, too. Appreciate all you share.

I prefer the Dunlop's on the street and haven't tried them on the track. On the street the Dunlop's seem to slide a bit when driving spirited but in a controllable way; like skiing. They communicate and I can control the slide whereas the Cup 2 IME seem to break away without too much warning.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C2Spin
Thanks for sharing valuable information. You've been a great source for me, and Peter, too. Appreciate all you share.

I prefer the Dunlop's on the street and haven't tried them on the track. On the street the Dunlop's seem to slide a bit when driving spirited but in a controllable way; like skiing. They communicate and I can control the slide whereas the Cup 2 IME seem to break away without too much warning.
Thanks! That makes sense to me given that the dunlops really need some heat in them for them to work well. When they are cold, they don't grip at all. To me, cup2 is the better street tire. Better in the wet and more grip when cold.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Fun read even for those of us who don’t track/track regularly.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:52 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Joe, that's what I found... The front bar on stiff, while settling the rear, produced slower lap times. I ended up going back to middle setting front, and actually found the car liked the stiff setting for the rear bar.

Great write up as always!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-03-2019, 05:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Joe, that's what I found... The front bar on stiff, while settling the rear, produced slower lap times. I ended up going back to middle setting front, and actually found the car liked the stiff setting for the rear bar.

Great write up as always!

Best Regards,
Dave
That confirms my suspicion, thanks Dave. What did you feel with stiffening the rear bar?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

That confirms my suspicion, thanks Dave. What did you feel with stiffening the rear bar?
I felt that while the car still had a slight tendency to want to oversteer, it was far more predictable. I also felt the way it 'wore' the outside of the Cup 2 's (in my case) was that reducing the 'rollover' in the back would help with tire wear, though frankly I haven't done enough days to wear the outsides of my Hoosiers, and didn't figure much of this out until long after cording the OEM Cup 2's.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I felt that while the car still had a slight tendency to want to oversteer, it was far more predictable. I also felt the way it 'wore' the outside of the Cup 2 's (in my case) was that reducing the 'rollover' in the back would help with tire wear, though frankly I haven't done enough days to wear the outsides of my Hoosiers, and didn't figure much of this out until long after cording the OEM Cup 2's.

Best Regards,
Dave
Thanks, I'm gonna give that a try!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Nice chase cam video shot by a pro driver who was at the same track day. The ZL1 1LE is deadly in the right hands...

Old 03-04-2019, 02:10 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for this superbly detailed and useful post. I won’t get the car back until later this month and it won’t see the track before April assuming I have break-in time, so this is great. Mine also came with Dunlops. I didn’t trust them on the GT3 but you confirm everything I read, so will try them on this car.

Quick Reply: orthojoe 991.2 RS at Thunderhill and track talk