Sponsored by:

Porsche could learn a thing or two from Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:47 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Is JeepCares subsidized or a division of the company? What forum is this? Internet Brands one? Would like to check out. The Jeep is becoming more appealing by the minute.

Porcshe would never do this. Isn't in their DNA.

On a side note, take the Macan in for service and get a loaner. Literally 4 miles from the dealership the tire deflates quickly. Dealer calls Porsche roadside because I don't want to mess with a spare with wet and dirty streets and they don't have anyone to send out. Porsche Roadside calls back an hour later and say they don't have anyone available and if we could schedule a a time in the next couple days??!!! I lost it.

I had gotten a ride home by then, but had to deal with losing half a day dealing with this BS. Went and bought a can of fix-a-flat, used that, and filled up the tire with the electric pump and dropped the loaner back off around 2pm. This whole fiasco started at 9am that morning. Half a day lost to BS and a $1K bill for a glorified oil change (whole other subject there). Thanks Porsche.

Dealer has a new service advisor who just started and doesn't seem to know a ton about Porsche's as is (another issue there). Didn't go off on him, but let him know this is unacceptable. They could have at least paid for can of fix-a-flat!! Hope they had fun dealing with the mess of that fixing the flat tire. Knowing them, they probably just topped it off with air and will let it roll.

After dealing with that, came to mind would always be good to have a can of that at all times for emergencies. Especially guys who get stuck in situations with a flat on a 911 and no repairs available nearby.

You also need an electric pump that can plug into your 9V socket to air up the tire. The can won't fill it up with much air.
That sounds like a crappy day! It can happen with any brand, but it still sucks when you have to deal with that stuff. I think JeepCares is part of Jeep. Here is the link to their first post....

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...eepcares.3575/

I have an air compressor, emergency valve and a tire repair kit, so i think i am good with the Jeep. Still need to figure something out for the GT3! Maybe a can of that stuff is the ticket.

I realiy like the JeepCares approach. They really do act and function as a client advocate. Really nice people, too. Lots of enthusiasm and they have a “get results” attitude. Brands have figured out that these forums can become a cancer, so the smart companies use them to improve brand loyalty, and control the narrative. But JeepCares does it by actually helping customers and holding dealer feet to the fire.

Don’t get me wrong. This Jeep is not a Toyota quality vehicle. At least not by Porsche standards. But it has a ton of character, is fun to drive, has insane third-party support (infinitely moddable!), and opens up a world of adventure. It also is a vehicle you can throw the dog in the back and not worry about damage as much. If you think about it, the Porsche 911 and Jeep Wrangler are probably the two most recognizable brands in the auto industry. And both have extremely loyal followings. There is a reasn. Great stablemates imo!

Just don’t expect Toyota reliability from Jeep. But that is not what they are all about. And I would not daily drive these things. Toy only! If it breaks, just take it in. The right attitude helps.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Plus PTS Nardo is free.

And Chalk is just everywhere!

Old 03-02-2019, 01:52 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

I recognize Sedona.

About to spend a month chilling and off-roading there for the months of April and November.

Shoot me a PM if you're there at those times.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:27 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
A Porsche-built automobile is superior to a Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep-built automobile in every conceivable way. We all know that. But Jeep does do some things right, and I think Porsche could learn a thing or two from them. The single biggest thing Jeep does right that Porsche is way behind in is after-purchase customer care. Let me explain.

I join this Jeep forum and there is a sponsor on it called JeepCares. Far more than lip service, these people are getting involved with Jeep to make sure people are taken care of. Is your Jeep stuck at the dealer for two weeks waiting for a part to come in? JeepCares gets involved, talking to the dealer and FCA reps at corporate to get things expedited. And people are getting results. I needed a paper manual (Jeep doesn’t come with the full manual), so i PM JeepCares. Two days later it shows up. So having a customer advocate who is proactive on the forums makes a huge difference with regards to perception. Porsche needs this. By not having this presence they lose control of the discussion. Then things spiral out of control, and conspiracy theories start flowing.

I know right now that if i don’t get the service i think i should from my dealer JeepCares is going to start making phone calls. Of course i am probably going to need them since my dash cluster is acting up.

Porsche, get with the program! If Jeep can do this....
Absolutely. We do the same thing for our business, and we are immensely smaller than Porsche. On the other hand, I have a dealer service department doing it all for me, so in practical terms, I'm not missing out much.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

This is all very interesting

I commend JEEP for being pro-active.

It's all about Customer Service which Porsche absolutely has no clue
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Don’t get me wrong. This Jeep is not a Toyota quality vehicle. At least not by Porsche standards. But it has a ton of character, is fun to drive, has insane third-party support (infinitely moddable!), and opens up a world of adventure. It also is a vehicle you can throw the dog in the back and not worry about damage as much. If you think about it, the Porsche 911 and Jeep Wrangler are probably the two most recognizable brands in the auto industry. And both have extremely loyal followings. There is a reasn. Great stablemates imo!

Just don’t expect Toyota reliability from Jeep. But that is not what they are all about. And I would not daily drive these things. Toy only! If it breaks, just take it in. The right attitude helps.

I picked up an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi as my DD, as my 911 waits out the winter. (Wrangler is too hard core for me). Can't tell you how much the whole family loves the Jeep, for the same reasons you point out. Mine has been perfect since delivery, but thanks for pointing out the JeepCares resource. It doesn't handle anywhere near as well as our Cayenne, but it is a surprisingly nice product, rugged, with character. Not something you find the the Japanese SUVs.

Quick Reply: Porsche could learn a thing or two from Jeep