Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty Exhaust Valve- I KNEW IT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 AM
goldberg
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Faulty Exhaust Valve- I KNEW IT!

For the past week now, my car has been making some strange exhaust sounds.
I have the SOUL CMB.

Periodically, the exhaust would sound like it had a hole on it.
I initially got under the car, to check the metal bands (not sure if correct terminology) that are used to secure the Soul CMB. I thought maybe one had some loose / fallen on, causing exhaust gasses to escape.
But everything was secure. And no evidence of exhaust leak anywhere.

I put up with it for a couple more days. Pressing the exhaust button still made a difference in sound. But the exhaust just sounded very odd most of the time. Though when i would drive the car really hard, or give it a good squirt, it would fix itself for a bit.

I thought in the back of my head, its one of the valves sticking.

Anyway, i got under the car again tonight, and sure enough, the RHS exhaust valve was stuck.
The piston / rod was pressed in, and i couldnt move it back out. I got a flat head screwdriver and with much force wedged it back out. It now moves in & out as it should (i feel its spring loaded) but its quite sticky still.

I sprayed some WD40 on it, and other left one for good measure.

It appears to be working again, but i can still hear it sticking here and there. Its obviously failed.
The car is under warranty, which is good. But its still a headache taking car to Porsche etc.

Has anyone experienced this, and have a fix for it? Besides replacing it. But is WD40 the right product to use on this? Should i use some sort of grease?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:45 AM
goldberg
Racer

I will also add, when driving and that valve was stuck, it was VERY drony (sp?) in the car.
Very "boomy"
not pleasant at all. Car sounded really cheap like a Lancer with a cannon muffler.

Terrible.
Is this what i sounds like when people disconnect the vacuum line to the valves?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by goldberg
I will also add, when driving and that valve was stuck, it was VERY drony (sp?) in the car.
Very "boomy"
not pleasant at all. Car sounded really cheap like a Lancer with a cannon muffler.

Terrible.
Is this what i sounds like when people disconnect the vacuum line to the valves?
No- If you disconnect both and plug the lines the valves(both) will remain open all the time. i would have it no other way but I have that combined with a Rear bypass and not familiar with SOUL products from an experience perspective
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (07-19-2020)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 AM
goldberg
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
No- If you disconnect both and plug the lines the valves(both) will remain open all the time. i would have it no other way but I have that combined with a Rear bypass and not familiar with SOUL products from an experience perspective
Ahh okok.

Yes makes sense i guess. If BOTH were open it would be an "even" sound, as opposed to the burble of just 1 open.

Has anyone elses valves "failed'?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Ahh okok.

Yes makes sense i guess. If BOTH were open it would be an "even" sound, as opposed to the burble of just 1 open.

Has anyone elses valves "failed'?
If one Valve fails or the line falls off one side you will experience terrible DRONE
Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM
goldberg
Racer

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If one Valve fails or the line falls off one side you will experience terrible DRONE
Well, yep.
Case in point. The car at times was embarrassing to drive.
Sound awful
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I would say that also with both side lines off/disconnected, there is booming/drone from 1500-3800rpm. It appears to sound ok from the outside though. And much more linear in volume. (no opening of valves at 4000)
Old 04-09-2019, 04:15 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if dealer will blame the exhaust modification (CMB) and installation the cause of the faulty valve and not warranty it.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

I can't imagine since the CMB is downstream of the valves and on a completely separate piece of hardware.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Can just the valves be replaced with new ones easily or are they part of the exhaust?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:31 PM
vdar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Experienced something similar with my CPO .1RS with stock exhaust within days of getting it. Was eventually diagnosed as a sticking passenger side exhaust valve. In my case, I think that valve (or probably both?) were getting stuck CLOSED but only intermittently. Car was much more muted than I expected even on WOT with exhaust button ON, but only sometimes... they ordered a replacement valve for me but I switched to Dundon catted headers since then and have been too lazy to take the stock parts back to dealer for the fix
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM
goldberg
Racer

Interesting, as i it appears to me, the OEM valves cannot simply be replaced as they are part & parcel (so to speak) with the side mufflers as one whole unit.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Interesting, as i it appears to me, the OEM valves cannot simply be replaced as they are part & parcel (so to speak) with the side mufflers as one whole unit.
That's the way it looks to me also. You can replace the vacuum actuator part (with diaphragm) separately, but the valve itself is captive to the muffler, afaik...
Old 05-22-2019, 01:41 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
That's the way it looks to me also. You can replace the vacuum actuator part (with diaphragm) separately, but the valve itself is captive to the muffler, afaik...
Yep, that's what happened to my Touring. Dealer had to replace entire right side exhaust. 200 miles later they had to replace the entire left side exhaust.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM
goldberg
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
That is also information contrary to what I had known.

I was under the impression the OEM valves were sealed, non serviceable items.

Quick Reply: Faulty Exhaust Valve- I KNEW IT!