Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 TRANSMISSION FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:19 PM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 991.2 GT3 TRANSMISSION FAILURE

Hello everyone, my name is Ammein Ramley.

I'm lucky & greatful enough to have a few Porsche's;
- 997.2 Turbo S
- 2009 997 GT2
& a year ago I ordered a manual 991.2 GT3

I really use my cars, in just 10 months I have 11,500 kms on my GT3. I live in Abu Dhabi , (the United Arab Emirates) & so I purchased this car from the Porsche Abu Dhabi dealer Ali & Sons.

In the beginning of January I went out for a drive in the GT3 & as I was engaging the 4th gear it made some sort of sound & produced an effect as though the clutch is not fully engaged as you engage the 4th gear. In the morning I took it straight to the service dealer.
They carried out their procedures and after a few days they came back to me with the following;
- They do confirm the transmission is faulty however they do not know the cause of it. The reason being is because Porsche AG has not given any instructions and does not allow any dealer to strip the gearbox. With that said Porsche AG has told my dealer Ali & Sons to change the gearbox under the warranty and for my dealer to send Porsche AG my failed transmission. Porsche AG will then check what has caused the failure and if it is driver error (4th gear synchro ring) they will then not cover it under warranty. Therefore my dealer Ali & Sons does will not fix my car with a failed transmission UNLESS I give them 45,000 dhs (($12,500). (This will take "8 weeks" until they know the cause)

My car has been with the dealer for 8 weeks now & nothing has happened. My car has warranty. The transmission has failed. This should be covered under warranty. It's as simple as that. From what I am experiencing there is no compliance & ethics from both Porsche & my dealer.

I am extremely disappointed with the experience I have received from the first day I got my car.
My car came with the wrong stitching on the air vents (it's CXX yellow stitching inside), it was all yellow stitching other than the air vents - they were grey.
he parts came wrong 4 times and it took them 11 months to get the correct parts.
Every time the parts would come incorrectly they would promise me that when the correct parts will finally arrive they will give me 1 year extended warranty. Then, when the parts arrived incorrectly for the 3rd time they told me that Porsche AG stated another 12 weeks for the parts to arrive & they will then compensate me by giving me 2 years extended warranty. - This was all bull**** - just to shut me up & go along with it. Now, they are offering me $500. $500 dollars for them ordering the car incorrectly, me accepting to take it, at the time they promised me 2-3 months maximum until the parts arrive, they then bring the parts incorrectly 4 months & then it finally takes them 11 months for the correct parts and they try to shut me up with $500 when at the time they initially promised 1 year warranty and then 2 years warranty when the parts came wrong for the 3rd time.

With all this I now have the transmission failure which they will not fix my car unless I give them 45,000 dhs.

I would like to know if anyone else has had a transmission failure & what the procedure was.

The more people that hear my story the better. I would like my terrible experience to be shared worldwide as this is not Porsche standards at all. Once again if anyone has any information about the new manual transmission failure I would appreciate your help.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:28 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

It sounds like a VERY long delay to determine if the transmission failed for a specific reason. When I had metal shavings in an oil pan on a new car, we literally sent the whole engine back and they turned it around a lot quicker.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:01 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to bring up the 4th gear. AS many of you all know, several owners mentioned excess movement of the gear lever while getting on/off throttle in 4th. My car doesn't not exhibit this, and many have mentioned their cars do not either. Can the OP give us his build date? Maybe there is a run of bad 4th gears out there (GT4 anyone?)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

4th Gear Issues:
4th Gear Flexing
Old 03-01-2019, 01:11 AM
Peter_GT4
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

We are moving up, 3rd gear issues on GT4, 4th gear here, all good

Peter
Old 03-01-2019, 01:28 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
It sounds like a VERY long delay to determine if the transmission failed for a specific reason. When I had metal shavings in an oil pan on a new car, we literally sent the whole engine back and they turned it around a lot quicker.
That's the way it should be. One must not pay for a part that is covered under warranty. A transmission is covered under warranty so I don't see the reason I have to pay 45,000 ($12,500) upfront in order for my dealer to replace my transmission. The reason it's taken so long is because my dealer is refusing to fix the issue unless I pay this big amount upfront.
If this was in Europe or America, I highly doubt this would be the same case.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:36 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Porsche has recalled a certain bach of GT4's for transmission replacement.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 AM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds super shady. Not sure how legal system works there but I’d lawyer up
Old 03-01-2019, 02:01 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peter_GT4
We are moving up, 3rd gear issues on GT4, 4th gear here, all good

Peter
I know many people in the UK & here in the UAE that had their GT4's recalled. The recall was to replace the whole transmission.

My friend has a GT3 touring. He picked his car up about a month after me. He has the exact same issue at only 2,000 kms. With him, they replaced it under warranty only because PORSCHE AG took more than 8 weeks to get back to him with a final decision as to why his transmission failed.

They said that his 4th gear synchro ring failed from driver error, (this is not covered under warranty but as I mentioned it was an exception that they covered it under warranty because they took too long to reply to him).

- How can a synchro ring fail at only 2,000 kms? Even if he was driving the car hard, it should last more than that.
- It's a big coincidence that I have the EXACT same issue as he does. It also makes me wonder what is wrong with these transmissions on the 4th gear. More than a few guys on Rennlist have issues their 4th gear.
I'm aware that the other guys on Rennlist have a different issue; their 4th gear flex's under load. Could this be linked in any way with a synchro ring failing? It's too much of a coincidence that every problem with these ****ty manual GT3's all have problems with the 4th gear..
I now understand why Porsche didn't create a manual on the .1 GT3. It would of been better is they didn't do that either on the .2
The car is lovely to drive but **** to own. How can such a car be this unreliable ?
Old 03-01-2019, 02:19 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Sounds super shady. Not sure how legal system works there but I’d lawyer up
Unfortunately that seems that this is the only way to proceed with this case. My car has been parked with the dealership for 8 weeks and they have refused to do anything until I pay that big amount. It's crazy.. why sell a car with warranty if you then disobey the warranty? What is the warranty for?
Old 03-01-2019, 02:48 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

@AR did yours also flex in 4th? I am in your same GT club group

sorry to hear the issue has not been resolved for you yet
Old 03-01-2019, 07:29 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
@AR did yours also flex in 4th? I am in your same GT club group

sorry to hear the issue has not been resolved for you yet
Yes sir it used to.

Unfortunately Ali & Sons are being adamant that they will not fix my car until I pay 45,000 dhs. (First they quoted me 60,000 dhs, now 45,000 dhs)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you have a "friend" with a GT3 touring that had a failed tranny!?!? Why didn't you mention that in your original post?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I am not a believer that the Manual tranny is a POS in the .2.

A little flexing in 4th is no big deal.

I am willing to bet that greater than 80% have this phenomenon and another 10% also do but they just do not recognize it. I do not even recognize mine until I even have to think about it.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 TRANSMISSION FAILURE