Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AntiGravity Battery RS-30 Anyone getting this Code?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:46 PM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AntiGravity Battery RS-30 Anyone getting this Code?

I first off want to say, I'm not in any way saying I'm having a negative experience with my Antigravity Battery. So far it's done its job wonderfully.
I'm starting this thread as I have recently been receiving a code almost every time I start the car.
The image enclosed in this post shows the message: "Battery Protection was Active During Parking."
  • I've had the RS-30 installed for 3 months now.
  • It's installed in a 991.2 GT3 Touring
  • This code never came up until the last 2 weeks
  • Now the code comes up just about every time I start the car. Even if the car has only been parked for an hour or two.
  • I installed the battery as AntiGravity suggested. Meaning that the battery was not registered using dealer software.
Is this code anything to worry about?
Is this code a sign that the battery is not going to last long or I'll encounter problems in the near future.
Is anyone else experiencing this code?

991.2 GT3 Battery Code - AntiGravity RS-30

Last edited by marchitect; 02-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:57 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

I’ve had it for 5 months, 5,000 miles. Zero issues. Works flawlessly.

How often do you drive the car or how many days does it stay parked?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:02 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you have your dealer code your car to the new battery? It has been said that in some cases you may need to have the car programmed so it recognizes the new battery. No first hand experience but just something I have read on the forum.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,053 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by marchitect
I first off want to say, I'm not in any way saying I'm having a negative experience with my Antigravity Battery. So far it's done its job wonderfully.
I'm starting this thread as I have recently been receiving a code almost every time I start the car.
The image enclosed in this post shows the message: "Battery Protection was Active During Parking."
  • I've had the RS-30 installed for 3 months now.
  • It's installed in a 991.2 GT3 Touring
  • This code never came up until the last 2 weeks
  • Now the code comes up just about every time I start the car. Even if the car has only been parked for an hour or two.
  • I installed the battery as AntiGravity suggested. Meaning that the battery was not registered using dealer software.
Is this code anything to worry about?
Is this code a sign that the battery is not going to last long or I'll encounter problems in the near future.
Is anyone else experiencing this code?

991.2 GT3 Battery Code - AntiGravity RS-30

Hi Marchitect,

1- Always feel free to contact me with any question or concerns, and feel free to post here also. We will alway work or try to figure any issues with anyone openly. Just want you to be know I am here for any email also.

2- I have not seen that Flag come up on any of the RS-30 purchasers Cars. In fact I have never even heard of that flag before.. So I learned something new. So that is good info to know for the future.

3- So far I have not registered the RS-30 in my 2016 RS... other have had the registration switched to "Lithium" ,and many others haven't ... so far no one is experiencing any anomaly that I know of in the GT3s. We have had 4 TT owners have flags about Rear Wheel Steering.... we found that 3 of those were related to aftermarket Cameras on the cars, but it did go away when they got the dedicated battery for the Camera. I don't know why the Cameras were doing that in conjunction with the battery. We believe it had something to do with the Start/Stop, and the draw on the battery by the Camera, but we noted it went away when the Cameras were removed, then we learned one guy got the dedicated Camera Battery and now is running with the Camera just fine. Keep in mind the Turbos have more electronics than the GT3s so that might have had to something to do with it... but RS-30 is in ALOT of Turbos and they did not have the same issue. So it was odd.

4- DO NOT worry about our Battery not lasting long, or this flag hurting the battery, the protections are built into the battery so it can't really be hurt the RS-30 unless you do something funky, which I'm sure your not. So if you have any issues we will refund or replace. If we are putting something out for RENNLISTERS that doesn't operate the way I say it will I will make it right no matter what.

5- Do you have any aftermarket accessories on the car, or is the Key kept close by the car? Keeping a Key close to the car can keep the car AWAKE as it senses the the key close by, and not fully shut down into the Cars SLEEP MODE. For example Porsche has a Battery Management System for the Car itself.... so if you take your key out of the ignition and shut the door, after a few minutes the car starts shutting down its systems to create less of a Parasitic Draw on the Battery.... after about 15-20 minutes these Cars shut down all the systems and it has quite a low Parasitic draw... and in my Car it can go 7 weeks with an RS-30 and still start the car easily. It loses maybe.2 v max. (2 tenths of a volt).

6- In my opinion, which I cannot verify since I don't have a 991.2 I am assuming this Flag is just a precaution, meaning that the Car may have shut down it systems FASTER than normal because it sensed the voltage going down in the battery quickly. And this voltage drop down is normal, but MAYBE the car is sensing it, then shutting down a little earlier than the normal 15-20 minutes. So then it is alerting you to the fact that is shut down a bit faster than it normally did. Now being blunt this is an educated ASSUMPTION on my part but falls in line with my experience with Porsches Car systems. And being that flag is not one I have seen, but seems to state that the Car is saying it went into some proactive measure seems to indicate it took some proactive measure. And the only Protection it would really go to is just shutting down Parasitic Draws earlier.

7- If you get a chance can you just check the voltage at the battery? If its reading 13.2v to 13.7 after sitting over night or even a week later you are right where you should be.

8- I will call Porsche tomorrow and see if someone will answer about that Flag because I have not see it before and being honest my GT3 is a test bed for these batteries and I am over-discharging them alot by leaving the keys in the ignition, leaving a USB charging going, then connecting extra lights to the battery itself to draw down the battery quicker so I can test the RE-START again... so sometimes it sitting at 11.5v for a few days and I never get that flag even at that low of a voltage. If you talk to your tech also ask them if they know.

9- My last statement is on the Coding Registration issues.... Modern Cars have intelligent Alternators ... and without getting into that to deeply they allow you to register different types of Batteries into the Car... such as AGM, Lithium, or Flooded depending on the Manufacturer... What this does is set up different charging curves the Alternators will put out to charge the battery most effectively for the type of battery it is. But our battery can handle all those charging curves for all the Lead types or Lithium. So that is not much of a concern for us, though if you were RACING we would say to select Lithium as it keeps the voltage a little lower on sustained High RPMS... So that should not really be an issues for you, but you could try the Lithium Option and see if that changes anything.

Last if your unhappy or the code nags you, feel free to return the battery for a full refund. I know you have said it has been working fine otherwise... but the point is I don't want you to worry about being stuck with a battery if you are un-happy. You can return it, or we can work together to see what might cause the flag. Just let me know.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:29 AM
marchitect
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Antigravity,
Thankyou for such a detailed response.
I don’t think I have anything or do anything that would be remotely unusual as an owner of my car.
I drive it at least 1X per week and sometimes 6X per week.
My drives are almost always at least 20 minutes. Most are are few hours.
I never keep the keys in the car. I keep my keys inside my house on a shelf which is about 30 feet from the garage where my car is. But this flag comes on even if I’m not at home and I come back to the car after being at the office or shopping or whatever.
The only after market goodies I have is an exhaust and LWBS incline brackets which are in no way battery related.

You asked if if I could test the voltage in the morning before starting the car. I can do that but won’t the action of opening the door which activates several lights and systems to turn on, and then opening the frunk which turns on another light alter the resting voltage of the battery?

I do monitor the battery voltage while driving as it’s set up to be part of the digital instrument panel. While driving it’s usually around 13.6 - 13.9
when I don’t get the flag and I can see the battery state on the instrument panel it usually says 11.5 or so at time of start up and it rapidly goes up to 14.1 or .2 before settling down to 13.8 or so.

Anyway, I like the idea behind the battery and want to keep it.
Maybe you will find some helpful information from Porsche.

I think your assumption(s) seem totally logical. This could be a simple/harmless indicator that the car is only taking proactive precautionary measures and shutting down systems earlier than is typical.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:04 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Googling that message, brings up a few hits you might want to check out. This one - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-battery.html claims Cayennes have a switch under the driver seat that can trigger it.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,053 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by marchitect
Antigravity,
Thankyou for such a detailed response.
I don’t think I have anything or do anything that would be remotely unusual as an owner of my car.
I drive it at least 1X per week and sometimes 6X per week.
My drives are almost always at least 20 minutes. Most are are few hours.
I never keep the keys in the car. I keep my keys inside my house on a shelf which is about 30 feet from the garage where my car is. But this flag comes on even if I’m not at home and I come back to the car after being at the office or shopping or whatever.
The only after market goodies I have is an exhaust and LWBS incline brackets which are in no way battery related.

You asked if if I could test the voltage in the morning before starting the car. I can do that but won’t the action of opening the door which activates several lights and systems to turn on, and then opening the frunk which turns on another light alter the resting voltage of the battery?

I do monitor the battery voltage while driving as it’s set up to be part of the digital instrument panel. While driving it’s usually around 13.6 - 13.9
when I don’t get the flag and I can see the battery state on the instrument panel it usually says 11.5 or so at time of start up and it rapidly goes up to 14.1 or .2 before settling down to 13.8 or so.

Anyway, I like the idea behind the battery and want to keep it.
Maybe you will find some helpful information from Porsche.

I think your assumption(s) seem totally logical. This could be a simple/harmless indicator that the car is only taking proactive precautionary measures and shutting down systems earlier than is typical.

YOu should be good to go on what you explained... meaning your car has nothing bothersome or that I would consider as causing an extra level of parasitic drain. And all the other details are fine. The RS-30 is a robust battery and not going to be hurt by much. My only concern is the level of Parasitic Draw actually.

So with that being said my only real concern is that you state you have a reading of 11.5 in the morning... and that IS LOW. I can check my RS 3-weeks later and not driving (yes I whip myself because I don't drive it enough)... and still be at 13.2v... .which is the Nominal/Resting voltage of the Lithium Lifepo4 Chemistry used by ourselves and other Lithium Batteries for Automobiles. So that is interesting for sure, and could be a reason for this flag also.

Can you detail to me after how long of storage or resting that the Voltage gets to 11.5? Is it the next morning after a drive? Or a week later? Regardless that is indeed low and might even trigger the RS-30 to shut down because that is an over-discharged battery voltage. So that cold indeed be why the system is flagging for battery protection. 11.5v is considered very over-discharged. So get me some details and email me and we can talk about that aspect and correct... scott@antigravitybatteries.com

As far as opening the car doors and opening the frunk... I have tested on that alot... and even right when doing it you will probably see a .2v drop so that is not significant enough... you would not see a big drop in voltage from opening all the doors and having the interior lights go on. In fact if you leave everything open it will all shut off again after 10 minutes. But again it won't dramatically effect a voltage reading. If you even near 13.2 you are good. It the 11.5 that is definately way over-discharged. But often a Cars voltage indicator is not super accurate.

Quick Reply: AntiGravity Battery RS-30 Anyone getting this Code?