Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making room for a new RS addition...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making room for a new RS addition...

Long shot, but wondering whether someone here might be able to help. I have an overhead space issue that is caused by a support beam running across my garage necessitating low garage rails/track and opener (relative to the ceiling heigh absent the beam). I am desperately trying to eliminate the door/opener/rails so that I can reclaim that height as I need to stack two cars.

That lead me to this (crazy ?) idea:

If I can get someone to build a track that is shaped like an upside down "J" where the door would open up, slide across ceiling, then part of it would come back down, I can get it open enough for in/out and save all the room beyond the beam in the garage with only a single 27" panel hanging down on the "J" part.

With a wall mount opener, is it possible to have a door track like this? I tried googling but can't seem to find anyone who has done this, which of course means it's probably impossible. But I fail to see why not, hence the ask.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

If you don’t care about the door opening all the way, you can make it stop at the beam. The other way won’t work with a conventional opener needs a mount at the end and for it to be straight.

As you say a wall mount might work for what you want to do, however, I don’t know if it can pull the opposite drop. Maybe?

https://www.chamberlain.com/garage-d...l-mount-opener
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

I like your idea, though I am not sure it would allow a normal garage door to open enough. Alternatively, the industrial kind with a lot of joints rolls up into a relatively small roll. There is also the swing out type of garage. I suspect you can find a garage door that fits the job, but finding one that looks good with your house could be the challenge.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

How y’all are the ceilings? What is the distance from the wall to the door?

My garage with 12’ ceilings doesn’t use a lot of space over the ceiling for the garage doors and a side mount opener
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
How y’all are the ceilings? What is the distance from the wall to the door?

My garage with 12’ ceilings doesn’t use a lot of space over the ceiling for the garage doors and a side mount opener
11' ceilings. The beam drops 2' and then with the garage tracking and such I have <9' for stacking two cars which is not great.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by vantage
I like your idea, though I am not sure it would allow a normal garage door to open enough. Alternatively, the industrial kind with a lot of joints rolls up into a relatively small roll. There is also the swing out type of garage. I suspect you can find a garage door that fits the job, but finding one that looks good with your house could be the challenge.
Roll up door is an obvious answer. But wife was hard no on the aesthetics and I don't want to make neighbors mad either.

I measured, door is four 27" panels. I just need 3 lifted to get cars in/out, and with that "J" pattern I can get 3 lifted.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A jackshaft opener might be able to do that. Have you looked into horizontal panel garage doors, first saw them in Europe and we’ve looked into them as some clients don’t want to block overhead lighting, preserve full height and these can be finished and not look commercial. You can build a pocket wall for the door to hide behind and not lose all your wall space.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hori...&client=safari
Old 02-25-2019, 11:19 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

How deep is the garage? If you can get the passenger compartment past the beam do only the hood or trunk is affected, it might work with the current garage door.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I've stacked two cars before.You end up not driving the top one because it's a pain to get down. And those sports cars ramps are super heavy to move around. Driving becomes a production.

To make room for RS, sell one of the other ones in the garage. Wife will think that's the best idea ever.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
How deep is the garage? If you can get the passenger compartment past the beam do only the hood or trunk is affected, it might work with the current garage door.
This is the current plan. If I put the BendPak against the back wall and back the car in I can just make it so that the hood (the lowest section) sits under the opener/tracks. But it's all very tight and given lift position will require a bunch of ducking to get under the lift if I want to walk anywhere, including getting into the car underneath which I will be using daily. If I can figure out the above question I can set the lift on a higher lock and make getting around the garage easier, and also, I assume, create a less stressful situation every time I put a car up there (e.g., "is it backed in far enough").
Old 02-25-2019, 11:26 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDM2418
I've stacked two cars before.You end up not driving the top one because it's a pain to get down. And those sports cars ramps are super heavy to move around. Driving becomes a production.

To make room for RS, sell one of the other ones in the garage. Wife will think that's the best idea ever.
I tried to get myself to sell the GT2 and just ... couldn't. I think we're going to be together for life.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

The GT2 is awesome. Is wife's car the other one in the garage? If so, you could tell her you think some sort of animal has been getting into the garage at night and it would be better to park her car outside. Then you have space for RS.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:37 PM
SocalTouring
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Hrm... do they make roll up garage doors for residentials?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
This is the current plan. If I put the BendPak against the back wall and back the car in I can just make it so that the hood (the lowest section) sits under the opener/tracks. But it's all very tight and given lift position will require a bunch of ducking to get under the lift if I want to walk anywhere, including getting into the car underneath which I will be using daily. If I can figure out the above question I can set the lift on a higher lock and make getting around the garage easier, and also, I assume, create a less stressful situation every time I put a car up there (e.g., "is it backed in far enough").
agree. Backing in is not ideal. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:49 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Google bifold garage doors. Eliminates the overhead tracks.

Quick Reply: Making room for a new RS addition...