Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 974 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
Appreciate the answers Tom. I'll most likely get one controller and try it on all 3 cars, then will most likely get 2 more for the other 2 cars if they work out. I'll most likely wait for the FAL fix to be announced before ordering though.
Glad to be of service.

When you have one DSC controller I have a few different cal files that you can run to see which you prefer most for each car and for their usage.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-22-2019, 06:13 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Tom, I have a V2 from my 991.1 GT3 days. I'm about to pick up a 991.2 and I still have my DSC in the garage. The new car has a FAL, should I wait until after you figure out the FAL handshake before I get the CAN upgrade?

Aside from the speed improvements in V3 for the velocity measurement reactions, would I be missing out on anything else?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 965 Posts

Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Tom,

At my local track I am struggling to extract the times I was running in my 991.1 3RS with my new 991.2 3RS. I have also noticed that my 991.2 3RS is turning faster laps on my track with sport mode off than on. The time differential on our 3.1 mile configuration is about 2 seconds. In fact my friend has a 2RS and is running about 3 seconds faster on our track with sport mode off. I really feel the .2 RS car is tuned really stiff and hurts mechanical traction on bumpier tracks. As such, I was just curious your thoughts around working with a DSC on the 991.2 3RS to soften up the car a little to make it more compliant and potentially faster on a bumpy track.

Thank you,

Chris.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Hey Tom, I have a V2 from my 991.1 GT3 days. I'm about to pick up a 991.2 and I still have my DSC in the garage. The new car has a FAL, should I wait until after you figure out the FAL handshake before I get the CAN upgrade?

Aside from the speed improvements in V3 for the velocity measurement reactions, would I be missing out on anything else?
Hi bigkraig,

Here's more info on V2, V3, and capability-
V2 was developed back in 2012 when the 991.1 cars first came out, as such the V2 hardware was developed on and for the gen-1 car's electronic systems.
V3 was developed on and for gen-2 cars using more powerful processors to specifically pair with the faster reacting systems. As such, V3 works brilliantly on gen-2 cars and the more powerful hardware can be backdated to work flawlessly on gen-1 cars, but not the other way around.
Also, the gen-2 Sunroof handshake and the soon-to-come gen-2 FAL handshake aren't compatible with V2.
In my opinion, it'd be best to sell your V2 to someone with a gen-1 car then buy a V3.
On a gen-2 car without Sunroof and without FAL the V2 will perform better than the factory controller by having a lot more control over the dampers and the dynamic engine mounts. But the Velocity function won't work optimally like it does on a V3.
We do offer a trade-in program for used V2 to new V3. To be completely transparent, this trade-in program usually doesn't do as well as selling the V2 yourself, its really designed to save time and any hassle of selling used parts.
If interested, please email us for info of the trade-in program. info@dscsport.com
Old 05-23-2019, 12:35 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hams955
Hi Tom,

At my local track I am struggling to extract the times I was running in my 991.1 3RS with my new 991.2 3RS. I have also noticed that my 991.2 3RS is turning faster laps on my track with sport mode off than on. The time differential on our 3.1 mile configuration is about 2 seconds. In fact my friend has a 2RS and is running about 3 seconds faster on our track with sport mode off. I really feel the .2 RS car is tuned really stiff and hurts mechanical traction on bumpier tracks.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your assessments. This is exactly the reason for which DSC was conceived. The two factory suspension preset selections(Normal mode and Sport mode) work great on certain tracks/conditions where and which these damping presets are ideal for. What about all other tracks and all other conditions? This is where DSC is a great asset by providing a wide dynamic command range from 1% to 100% of the dampers' capability, and commanding to each damper individually in real time based on load. The load is the amount g-force, direction of g-force, rate of change in g-force, brake line pressure, throttle position, steering angle, vehicle speed, and the velocity of the suspension travel(expressed in Low/Med/Hi-Speed Compression and Rebound). Every DSC controller comes pre-mapped. The basis of the standard DSC maps(we refer to maps as Calibration Files) starts with the minimum damping % value and increases to the load. In cases such as a Hi-Speed Compression movement(driving over a big bump or bumpy braking zone) the damping % is reduced to improve vehicle compliance and stability. The DSC standard maps took a lot of time and resources to developed and they are very good. As good as they are, DSC users can make changes to their personal preferences and/or for certain tracks/conditions by making changes to any one of the load tables and/or by selecting the range of the dampers that they prefer. The latter is equivalent to re-valving the shocks.

Originally Posted by Hams955
As such, I was just curious your thoughts around working with a DSC on the 991.2 3RS to soften up the car a little to make it more compliant and potentially faster on a bumpy track.
Yes, the standard DSC map will help. Custom tuning may improve further. With good feedback I can help custom tune remotely.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

@Tom-TPC Racing

Can I leave a USB cable connected to the DSC? I dislike having to get the unit out to zero-out the suspension after an alignment, or loading my custom maps. This is for a V3 in a 991.2 RS.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A/S
@Tom-TPC Racing

Can I leave a USB cable connected to the DSC? I dislike having to get the unit out to zero-out the suspension after an alignment, or loading my custom maps. This is for a V3 in a 991.2 RS.

Thanks
Yes, absolutely. I usually leave a 6-ft USB cable connected to the DSC when I do installations.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I always hear good things about DSC....wondering what it would do for my regular .2 GT3. I use to track a lot more but haven't done much recently...mostly calm boring street driving....will get back to a few DE's this fall and winter.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
I always hear good things about DSC....wondering what it would do for my regular .2 GT3. I use to track a lot more but haven't done much recently...mostly calm boring street driving....will get back to a few DE's this fall and winter.
For street driving DSC will very likely make you want to drive your car more because DSC accesses the softer end of the damping range from the OEM dampers during low-load street use.

For bumpy tracks like Sebring DSC crushes the bumps and adds the stiffness when needed. Imagine having a navigator pushing the PASM Normal / Sport mode button for each phase of each turn except DSC is a lot faster and has control of the full dynamic range of the dampers.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your assessments. This is exactly the reason for which DSC was conceived. The two factory suspension preset selections(Normal mode and Sport mode) work great on certain tracks/conditions where and which these damping presets are ideal for. What about all other tracks and all other conditions? This is where DSC is a great asset by providing a wide dynamic command range from 1% to 100% of the dampers' capability, and commanding to each damper individually in real time based on load. The load is the amount g-force, direction of g-force, rate of change in g-force, brake line pressure, throttle position, steering angle, vehicle speed, and the velocity of the suspension travel(expressed in Low/Med/Hi-Speed Compression and Rebound). Every DSC controller comes pre-mapped. The basis of the standard DSC maps(we refer to maps as Calibration Files) starts with the minimum damping % value and increases to the load. In cases such as a Hi-Speed Compression movement(driving over a big bump or bumpy braking zone) the damping % is reduced to improve vehicle compliance and stability. The DSC standard maps took a lot of time and resources to developed and they are very good. As good as they are, DSC users can make changes to their personal preferences and/or for certain tracks/conditions by making changes to any one of the load tables and/or by selecting the range of the dampers that they prefer. The latter is equivalent to re-valving the shocks.

Yes, the standard DSC map will help. Custom tuning may improve further. With good feedback I can help custom tune remotely.
Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Can you please PM me so we can move forward with an order?

Appreciate your sir.

- Chris.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Tom,

How do you zero the factory ride height sensors to the DSC?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
In my opinion, it'd be best to sell your V2 to someone with a gen-1 car then buy a V3.
I have a gen-1 GTS, no FAL, no sunroof. It does have S-PASM and PDCC. Would there be any difference in how a V2 would function in my car compared to a V3? Do the velocity measurement features apply to a 991.1 at all? (non-GT3 to be clear)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I have a gen-1 GTS, no FAL, no sunroof. It does have S-PASM and PDCC. Would there be any difference in how a V2 would function in my car compared to a V3? Do the velocity measurement features apply to a 991.1 at all? (non-GT3 to be clear)
All 991 cars have Velocity function via DSC.
DSC V2 is better than PASM controller, but V3 is even better. If you want the best DSC controller then buy a new V3.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by skxf430
Tom,

How do you zero the factory ride height sensors to the DSC?
This is a commonly asked question, we'll have to make a youtube video on this soon.

Download DSC Tuner software version 1.8.3.
Turn the car's ignition ON to power up the factory ride height sensors
Connect DSC to PC
Open DSC Tuner software
File > select Vehicle Type > Porsche 9x1
Settings > Zero Travel
Tools > Reset Board

The following users liked this post:
TNturboS (09-06-2021)

Quick Reply: DSC module useful for 991.2 RS?