Sponsored by:

Exhaust finalists

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exhaust finalists

I have a 991.1 GT3 coming next week and I have been researching all the previous exhaust threads. The finalists are GMG/Sharkwerks/GRP(all sound the same to me) bypass, the IPE catback, or Dundon full street system. A couple questions.....

1. Has anybody actually dyno’d the IPE stuff? I love the sound but sure as heck don’t want to lose power.

2. Is there really any difference in the sound of the various center bypass brands?

3. I love the Dundon and it would certainly be my first choice is money was no object. Does anybody know of or have a used system for sale?

Actually if anybody has a used system let me know.

This will be my first GT car and I’m excited.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Sent a PM on a set of Dundon headers.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

What makes you think your going to lose power with the IPE exhaust?

Last edited by racer959; 02-24-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:17 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Why no Akra?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by racer959
What makes you think your going to lose power on the IPE exhaust?
Previous threads reference a dyno by IPE that showed a significant power loss. That’s why I was curious about an independent dyno test.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Why no Akra?
Akra is the most expensive and I just assumed if I was going to spend that much I might as well get the Dundon because it provides the largest bump in HP.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 PM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver

Akra is the most expensive and I just assumed if I was going to spend that much I might as well get the Dundon because it provides the largest bump in HP.
I’m in the camp of not believing any exhaust can free up meaningful horsepower. In that case, for me, it comes down to build quality and brand credibility.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 PM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusdriver

Previous threads reference a dyno by IPE that showed a significant power loss. That’s why I was curious about an independent dyno test.
That might be with headers. The rest of the system really isnt that different than many out there. Removes side mufflers and replaces with 2 resonators up front.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:34 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan

I’m in the camp of not believing any exhaust can free up meaningful horsepower. In that case, for me, it comes down to build quality and brand credibility.
Definite power increase with the Dundon headers / full exhaust. Completely different than a center muffler delete pipe.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:45 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

There’s a significant increase in hp/tq with the Dundon Race Headers. I went stock, to Dundon, to back to stock (for a brief time) and almost wanted to get rid of my GT3 because of the feel in stock form. It’s incredible how much of a difference the race headers make. Would not own my GT3 without them. With them, I’ll never sell the car. It’s that serious.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

If ok spending some money and making a significant change from stock, Dundon is the best. Friends car has street headers and even those make a difference. Great quality.

Personally wanted to keep my car close to stock. I like the SW and Akra center bypasses becuase they mount just like the stock center and dont drastically change the tone of the stock sound and keep the factory tips. Ended up going Akra. Wanted to try something different but have had SW before and its great.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Not sure about your research however the GMG & bbi/GRP center deletes sound similar but do not sound like the Sharkwerks. The notes are distinctly different. The former and IPE are center bypass deletes while the DMS race headers is a full exhaust system (from headers through side muffler delete). Quite different. What are aiming for, sound or power? If power is your goal, then DMS is the proven solution (Fabspeed also has a race system but make sure you get their 2nd gen system), the sound from the DMS isn’t shabby either. Expect to pay around $6-7K. If your goal is sound, then I suggest you do further research as you’ll get great sound (but no added power) for about $2K from either GMG, bbi/GRP, IPE or Sharkwerks but their sound are not identical.

In order to narrow down your decision, clarify if your goal is power or just a better sound.
The following users liked this post:
hashash (01-06-2022)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3
There’s a significant increase in hp/tq with the Dundon Race Headers. I went stock, to Dundon, to back to stock (for a brief time) and almost wanted to get rid of my GT3 because of the feel in stock form. It’s incredible how much of a difference the race headers make. Would not own my GT3 without them. With them, I’ll never sell the car. It’s that serious.
Why did you remove the Dundon and go back to stock?
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Akunob
Not sure about your research however the GMG & bbi/GRP center deletes sound similar but do not sound like the Sharkwerks. The notes are distinctly different. The former and IPE are center bypass deletes while the DMS race headers is a full exhaust system (from headers through side muffler delete). Quite different. What are aiming for, sound or power? If power is your goal, then DMS is the proven solution (Fabspeed also has a race system but make sure you get their 2nd gen system), the sound from the DMS isn’t shabby either. Expect to pay around $6-7K. If your goal is sound, then I suggest you do further research as you’ll get great sound (but no added power) for about $2K from either GMG, bbi/GRP, IPE or Sharkwerks but their sound are not identical.

In order to narrow down your decision, clarify if your goal is power or just a better sound.
Your post matches my research. I really like the Dundon but I am struggling to find value in the 3x cost. I would like to find a catted Dundon system but I’m sure it would still be pricey compared to a center bypass.

I’ll have to listen to more sound clips but most center bypass pipes sounded similar. Generally I prefer higher pitch vs lower pitch.

Thanks for all the replies
Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
Get to the point, how much more HP can you get with Dundon Race Headers?

Quick Reply: Exhaust finalists