Sponsored by:

Rob's new 458 has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
That is some impressive wheel articulation!
Thanks Rock Krawler lifts are awesome. I had just a 2.5” lift but with shocks with slightly longer travel. Jeep rode impressive on the street and off road.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Love Trail Recon!

He did this vid on a Jeep that's got to be pushing Porsche prices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XITyCdze3NU
Thats a great looking and built Jeep. Very nicely thought out
Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

Thanks Rock Krawler lifts are awesome. I had just a 2.5” lift but with shocks with slightly longer travel. Jeep rode impressive on the street and off road.
My JKU has the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit with their Superflex control arms. I'm running Fox Shox and a Fox ATS steering stabilizer. I'm amazed how well the jeep handles on the street even at high speeds. I had an old lifted CJ in the past with the leaf spring suspension and it would go into "death wobble" mode every time I'd hit a bump over 55 mph.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:22 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Congratulations Rob! Jeeps are great fun vehicles. You now have the perfect garage setup, A GT3 for the fun roads and a Jeep for the roads off the beaten path.
Two years ago I was in Colorado where I took my VW Touareg with a bunch of other vehicles (2 jeeps, 1 Toyota FJ,) on a off road trail. Let me tell you it is the most fun you will ever have at 5mph.... lol and the views and scenery that you can never experience if you stay on paved roads.

Your a lucky guy to live in such a beautiful state. Please post pictures of your off-roading journey..
Old 03-03-2019, 11:01 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Congratulations Rob! Jeeps are great fun vehicles. You now have the perfect garage setup, A GT3 for the fun roads and a Jeep for the roads off the beaten path.
Two years ago I was in Colorado where I took my VW Touareg with a bunch of other vehicles (2 jeeps, 1 Toyota FJ,) on a off road trail. Let me tell you it is the most fun you will ever have at 5mph.... lol and the views and scenery that you can never experience if you stay on paved roads.

Your a lucky guy to live in such a beautiful state. Please post pictures of your off-roading journey..
Thanks bud! They really are great stablemates. I am still wondering why i didn’t do this sooner? Colorado is on road and off road paradise. On the way back from Garden of the Gods yesterday i turned off at a spot we pass in the GT3. We went 2 miles deep into a pretty thick trail. I guess there is a lake out there but it was late and the weather was turning. But it is just that sort of stuff that surrounds us here that the Jeep unlocks. Being able to throw the boy in the back without worrying just adds to the fun. This Jeep thing is a game changer. Also, getting back in the GT3 will be better as well, as its qualities are amplified by the contrast. Like i said, i should have done this sooner.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM
robmypro
Race Director

A few more pics from another day.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:35 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Thanks bud! They really are great stablemates. I am still wondering why i didn’t do this sooner? Colorado is on road and off road paradise. On the way back from Garden of the Gods yesterday i turned off at a spot we pass in the GT3. We went 2 miles deep into a pretty thick trail. I guess there is a lake out there but it was late and the weather was turning. But it is just that sort of stuff that surrounds us here that the Jeep unlocks. Being able to throw the boy in the back without worrying just adds to the fun. This Jeep thing is a game changer. Also, getting back in the GT3 will be better as well, as its qualities are amplified by the contrast. Like i said, i should have done this sooner.
Rampart Range Road starts/ends (depending on which direct you are going) in GOG Park.

Come back down on 3/30 for the Lineworkers Rodeo and take the back way (dirt) in.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by BryanCO

Rampart Range Road starts/ends (depending on which direct you are going) in GOG Park.

Come back down on 3/30 for the Lineworkers Rodeo and take the back way (dirt) in.
Hey Bryan, that road was closed yesterday! Had plans to check it out, and definitely will. Need to check out that rodeo! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:21 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Btw, I think i have enough trails to keep me busy for a while.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I think if/when Porsche does go hybrid in the GT3 it will be pretty seamless. My Jeep has a 2 liter 4 cylinder and it has hybrid assist. I don't really notice any turbo lag, mainly because of the way the hybrid is designed. It fills in for the first half second, which is exactly where you would feel the turbo lag. If Jeep can do this I am sure that Porsche can in some future GT3. I just hope the weight isn't too bad. But overall pretty impressed with how well it hides the turbos down low.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...linder-hybrid/
Old 06-30-2019, 12:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Hey Rob, any updates on the Jeep experience? Any mods at all? Additional impressions? Thanks
Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG
Hey Rob, any updates on the Jeep experience? Any mods at all? Additional impressions? Thanks
Hey buddy, I did replace the side rails and installed a winch. Besides that she's bone stock. Runs great. Super fun to drive. Great contrast to my GT3. Overall very happy with the owner experience so far. Very user-friendly. No complaints!
Old 06-30-2019, 03:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Hey buddy, I did replace the side rails and installed a winch. Besides that she's bone stock. Runs great. Super fun to drive. Great contrast to my GT3. Overall very happy with the owner experience so far. Very user-friendly. No complaints!

Thanks and good to hear. As you mentioned, I have found the Jeep dealer experience very pleasant and easy going (unlike a certain German brand). Will have one coming in a week or so and looked back at this thread and will be a near identical twin to yours. Planning a 2" lift and some aftermarket wheels/tires. A very nice absolutely loaded Rubicon can be had in the $50K range. Same price your pay for a stripper 4 banger base model Macan. Base model Cayenne's are in the $80K range with half *** options. A no brainer. Different vehicles, but just comparing value.

On top of it, Jeep resale is way better than any Cayenne, Panny, Macan, etc. not a biggie, but just added benefit.

My two local Porsche dealers are a train wreck. Get better and more knowledgeable service advisors at any other brand. They can't keep good help if they tried and keep losing people because they don't want to pay. Ironic for a brand that's touted as the most profitable auto manufacturer. People spending Porsche kinda $$ want top notch service. They're dropping the ball way too often. Goodbye Macan, hello Rubicon.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by STG
Thanks and good to hear. As you mentioned, I have found the Jeep dealer experience very pleasant and easy going (unlike a certain German brand). Will have one coming in a week or so and looked back at this thread and will be a near identical twin to yours. Planning a 2" lift and some aftermarket wheels/tires. A very nice absolutely loaded Rubicon can be had in the $50K range. Same price your pay for a stripper 4 banger base model Macan. Base model Cayenne's are in the $80K range with half *** options. A no brainer. Different vehicles, but just comparing value.

On top of it, Jeep resale is way better than any Cayenne, Panny, Macan, etc. not a biggie, but just added benefit.

My two local Porsche dealers are a train wreck. Get better and more knowledgeable service advisors at any other brand. They can't keep good help if they tried and keep losing people because they don't want to pay. Ironic for a brand that's touted as the most profitable auto manufacturer. People spending Porsche kinda $$ want top notch service. They're dropping the ball way too often. Goodbye Macan, hello Rubicon.
That is awesome. You are going to love these things. Yeah, a lift and new wheels would be good, but I will probably save those upgrades for a few years. Very capable as is imo. For the money they are a great bargain. Plus, it is nice not obsessing over every little scratch, chip, etc. Just drive it!

Good luck. Hope you really like it.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 PM
STG
Race Director

That is awesome. You are going to love these things. Yeah, a lift and new wheels would be good, but I will probably save those upgrades for a few years. Very capable as is imo. For the money they are a great bargain. Plus, it is nice not obsessing over every little scratch, chip, etc. Just drive it!

Good luck. Hope you really like it.

Thanks, the 2" lift and going to a 35" tire instead of the stock 33" is just for looks pretty much. I like the look, not like it will make it do anything better than the stock Rubicon set up.

Have a great 4th of July.

Quick Reply: Rob's new 458 has arrived!