Rob's new 458 has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
This is a better thread then you'll find on the Jeep Wrangler forum

Totally agree! I had no idea so many GT car guys here on the board were Jeep junkies too! Really cool actually!

Top thread of the year already! Better than the “what’s my car worth” sillynes.

- Chris.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

If anyone is thinking about getting a new Jeep a fully decked out Rubicon will run you $51k (MSRP of $57,500). Negative ADM! You get a 5 year, 60,000 mile powertrain warranty, plus 3 years, 36,000 miles for everything else. I paid $2k extra for the 7 year, 60,000 mile extended warranty to cover the entire vehicle. I got the steel bumpers but if you go aftermarket bumpers just stick with the plastic ones. I also went turbo hybrid engine, but if you aren’t at altitude the 3.6 liter engine is proven. It comes in manual or auto. For off roading i felt that the auto was easier, but you do have a manual option. Front windshield folds down, the doors and top come off, so this thing is a transformer.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hams955

Keep me in mind if you do head that way this summer. My daughter and I like wheelin up that way. We will come meet you for a lunch or something!

- Chris.
Sounds like a plan, Chris!
Old 02-23-2019, 02:13 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

GT3 owners just know how to have fun!
Old 02-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

The funny thing about Jeep is non-Jeep owners focus on reliability and wonder who in their right mind buys one? But Jeep owners know these things are awesome and focus more on what you can do with them. It is a lifestyle vehicle. It is about exploring and really seeing this country. I would never buy one to DD.

I learned how to drive on an Army surplus WW2 Jeep made by ******. Real basic: turned on by a toggle switch, electric starter via a foot switch on the floor board, non-synchro 3 speed manual, and a cranky two lever transfer case. Took me through high school into college. Tough as nails, drove through floods like a dolphin, took it hunting through swamp, mud, mountains, and rivers. If we are talking about reliability, this thing wouldn't die if you shot it with a 50 caliber machine gun. LOL

Loved that ******, so I bought a Renegade when I was older. Unfortunately this Jeep was cursed with electrical gremlins. The whole electrical system would shut down, and I would have to drive in the dark with a flashlight. Dealership couldn't figure it out despite multiple repairs.

So, I "upraded" to a Grand Cherokee. Even worse. They had to replace the sound system within a few months. After that, unlike the ****** Jeep that wouldn't die, this Grand Cherokee would just die for no reason. I'd have to coast to the side with no power steering and no power brakes. Most of the time it would start again, but I was stranded and had to get a tow truck twice. I finally just traded it in and vowed never again.

Didn't want to leave this as a purely negative post, so I'm hoping that modern production has improved the brand. Seems to be so, from the above posts.

Good luck with your brand new toy! It does bring back memories of the fun in my beloved ******!!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

I thought you joined me over on the dark side Rob

Funny how we all must be kids at heart. Everyone showing their shiny toys, now I want a Jeep!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Nice looking Jeeps! Been seriously considering one. The pics here may have sealed the deal

Like Rob mentioned, also at an awesome price point. Decked out for the price of a stripper base model Macan

They're jacking up the $$ of the new Macan quite a bit too.

Last edited by STG; 02-23-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:42 PM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear its true this time! I usually drive the raptor

jeep is topless most of the year as well. Super fun

Originally Posted by robmypro

Evergreen. You have a lot of great off road choices!

Sure it is! I let my wife think the same thing. Lol
Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Palting
I learned how to drive on an Army surplus WW2 Jeep made by ******. Real basic: turned on by a toggle switch, electric starter via a foot switch on the floor board, non-synchro 3 speed manual, and a cranky two lever transfer case. Took me through high school into college. Tough as nails, drove through floods like a dolphin, took it hunting through swamp, mud, mountains, and rivers. If we are talking about reliability, this thing wouldn't die if you shot it with a 50 caliber machine gun. LOL

Loved that ******, so I bought a Renegade when I was older. Unfortunately this Jeep was cursed with electrical gremlins. The whole electrical system would shut down, and I would have to drive in the dark with a flashlight. Dealership couldn't figure it out despite multiple repairs.

So, I "upraded" to a Grand Cherokee. Even worse. They had to replace the sound system within a few months. After that, unlike the ****** Jeep that wouldn't die, this Grand Cherokee would just die for no reason. I'd have to coast to the side with no power steering and no power brakes. Most of the time it would start again, but I was stranded and had to get a tow truck twice. I finally just traded it in and vowed never again.

Didn't want to leave this as a purely negative post, so I'm hoping that modern production has improved the brand. Seems to be so, from the above posts.

Good luck with your brand new toy! It does bring back memories of the fun in my beloved ******!!
Look at it this way. It can’t be worse. Can it? lol

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I thought you joined me over on the dark side Rob

Funny how we all must be kids at heart. Everyone showing their shiny toys, now I want a Jeep!
I will probably get one eventually, buddy! Get a Jeep Rubicon! These things are a blast!

Originally Posted by STG
Nice looking Jeeps! Been seriously considering one. The pics here may have sealed the deal

Like Rob mentioned, also at an awesome price point. Decked out for the price of a stripper base model Macan

They're jacking up the $$ of the new Macan quite a bit too.
For the price you can’t beat these things. The fun factor is high. The price is relatively low. One thing i notice with this thng is the people who design them have passion. They pay attention to little details. This thing is loaded with character. Do it!

Originally Posted by LeeGT3
I swear its true this time! I usually drive the raptor

jeep is topless most of the year as well. Super fun
Raptors are cool too. So many options. Too little time!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Perimeter
GT3 owners just know how to have fun!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

LOL... I actually clicked expecting to see a 458! Great toy, enjoy!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Right there with you. Love my DD.

What is this color called? A beauty.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Since i am probably fanning the flames for some of you, here’s a bit more detail. So we see a Jeep dealer and i am like “hey honey lets test drive one.” Then i add “look babe, this thing might be a bucket of bolts so don’t expect much.” We pull up, and a salesman asks us what we are looking for. I rattle off a bunch of features, which he writes down. He goes to look for one, and comes back 15 minutes later. They just got a new one in today that checked all my boxes. Of course having dealt with car salesman, i was skeptical. We walk outside and there she is. I walk around it, and i am thinking this thing doesn’t look bad at all. I look over at the wife, who was opening the passenger door, and she had this big smile on her face. She later told me that she just thought it was so unique and was a huge departure from all the luxury suvs we have owned. She grabs the grab bar on the dash, hoists herself up, and was like lets go!

I hop in. The cockpit is pretty personal. Everything is well laid out. You can tell they spent a lot of time dialing this thing in. The interior design is very well done, but the materials are not Lexus or BMW level to be sure. But i think the materials fit the intended use perfectly. This is a vehicle you may need to open the doors and hose the inside down lol. The seats are comfortable and somewhat adjustable, but the controls are all manual. Honestly, i didn’t find that to be an issue. The dash and gauges are well done, and the touch screen infotainment system is pretty good. You can drag n drop apps to the bottom row for easy access, and everything is dead simple to use. BMW needs to have a long talk with these guys. The shifter is very solid and it feels good. The same goes for the steering wheel. We got the Alpine upgraded audio. This is a Jeep so don’t expect reference quality. But it isn’t bad at all. Remember, one day you might be hosing it down too! lol

All in all i thought the first impression walk around was much better than i was expecting. We go for a test drive. The Rubicon is pretty well mannered. No harsh suspension. Doesn’t feel radically different from other suvs i have been in. Good power with the turbo hybrid. Auto was fine. Steering wasn’t bad at all. Seemed pretty nimble. Brakes were good. No pccbs of course but more than adequate imo.

Came back from the test drive impressed. How did we miss this Jeep thing? It’s like the first time you go to a restaurant that always had big lines as you passed by. One bite and you know why. Same with this Jeep! You take a closer look and get why they are everywhere.

The salesman gives us a price. MSRP was $57,500 and his first offer was $55k. I told him if he can do < $50k he will have a sale tonight. Next offer was $53k. Talked to sales manager this time. Told them what i needed, and understood that probably someone else comes in tomorrow and buys it at full price, so no hard feelings. Their final offer was $52k. I told them $51k and we start signing paperwork. About two hours later we were driving it home.

So we got 11% off MSRP, no ADM BS, plus we got exactly the spec we wanted, and i felt like i didn’t need to shower when i got home from the experience. The wife loves it, the dog goes in the back without obsessing over any scratches, and i have a new toy and hobby. All in all i think these things are a steal, and if there are problems this is just going to be another toy like the GT3. I am not sweating it. Jeep can fix it!

Driving this thing is strange. Other Jeep Wrangler owners wave ALL THE TIME. There are Jeeps everywhere. It is a small thing, but it adds to the fun. It is like a secret club you just joined.

One last thing. This Jeep was not designed by a committee like my BMW was. There is some real passion behind this brand. People who give a ****. Reminds me of the only other car i felt that way about. My GT3!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Akunob
LOL... I actually clicked expecting to see a 458! Great toy, enjoy!
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Similar but different experience

Bought s 94 NAS defender

Wife loves it, only csr we own she drives
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Rob's new 458 has arrived!