Sponsored by:

Rob's new 458 has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Rob congratulations my dear friend. Great choice. Looks amazing. Enjoy. I still think and since the 10 year warranty, you should drive your GT3 in the snow and off road. Mark
Thanks Mark! I did sort of off road it once. Hair-raising experience! But since engines are on Porsche for the next 6 years......lol
Old 02-23-2019, 04:26 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 193 Posts

I must admit your new Jeep is one cool looking machine and very appropriate for someone living high up on a Colorado mountain..However as you know i recently bought my first 458 Italia and its an amazing car and very different to my 991.2GT3..I live in a mild maritime climate less then two miles from the coastline which means we never ever get any snow..I do have have a Cayenne E Hybrid and Izuzu Rodeo ute which covers any unexpected winter weather.
As some point you need to buy a 458, even to satisfy your curiosity as i did, but be warned, you will fall in love with it but for different reasons to a GT3.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I must admit your new Jeep is one cool looking machine and very appropriate for someone living high up on a Colorado mountain..However as you know i recently bought my first 458 Italia and its an amazing car and very different to my 991.2GT3..I live in a mild maritime climate less then two miles from the coastline which means we never ever get any snow..I do have have a Cayenne E Hybrid and Izuzu Rodeo ute which covers any unexpected winter weather.
As some point you need to buy a 458, even to satisfy your curiosity as i did, but be warned, you will fall in love with it but for different reasons to a GT3.
Definitely still want a 458, as they are really great cars. If i lived in a climate like yours it would be a very different decision. But it isn’t all about climate, either. On road vs off road. In Colorado we have both in spades. So this was more about aligning vehicles to where i live.

Have fun with your 458! I will join you one day.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What area are you located?

We are down south. Pagosa/Durango area.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Right there with you. Love my DD.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:30 AM
LeeGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife’s Jeep for rainy days
Old 02-23-2019, 11:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hams955
What area are you located?

We are down south. Pagosa/Durango area.
Evergreen. You have a lot of great off road choices!

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Right there with you. Love my DD.

Originally Posted by LeeGT3

My wife’s Jeep for rainy days
Sure it is! I let my wife think the same thing. Lol
Old 02-23-2019, 11:59 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

Perfect move and the correct justification for it, the options for new avenues for fun and experiences. I have a TRD Pro Tacoma to pair with my GT3, polar opposite vehicles but all bases are covered for whatever adventures you want to get into. I think you’ll really enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default GT3T and Rubicon - same uniqyuness, different pleasure

I submit to you that the GT3 Touring and the Jeep Rubicon are more alike than you might first imagine, permit me to explain.
Both are unique niche markets concentrating on having fun, with no market competition to distract, only option choices are different.

Originally Posted by LeeGT3
still in Sedona? Snowed in?
Back in Scottsdale, we're too fast for the weather!
Originally Posted by robmypro
The more i thought about this second toy and that i wanted contrast relative to the GT3, everything else just provided too much overlap. Went to look at Jeep and was blown away. These things have a lot of character and are super user-friendly. Great road manners and everything is logically laid out. Never thought i would own a jeep but this is the perfect stablemate to the GT3. Besides, Colorado! Hundreds of trails to investigate. I am not thinking of anything hard core, but just exploring trails and getting out with the wife and dog.
Fully loaded for $51k is hard to beat imo. The only downside i see if you have to wave at every jeep that goes by, which is a full time job here! And the wife loves it. Not saying i would DD this thing but as a weekend toy that gives a lot of contrast to the GT3, this thing is a winner.

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Rob how’s reliability on those Jeeps?

In 10 months and 16k Miles I had a radiator reservoir crack and replaced under warranty. I'm sure it happened during an off road pounding
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Four years ago I got broadsided on my moto by a red light running distracted teen in a Rubicon at about 45 mph. I can't see a Rubicon anymore without wincing from impact.
So sorry that happened to you.
On a reversal of that issue, I got Gobi Sand for its low environmental impact while off roading but it is just simply camoflauge on the surface streets and that has proved dangerous once - an 80+ yr old lady was waiting to turn left, I had been driving straight at 45mph for 1000 ft on a green light and only when I entered the intersection did she turn. I had the jeep sideways left to go around her tail then sideways right to avoid her and get back on track.
Took a breather and reflection at home, came to the conclusion the color must have distorted her depth perception.
I was trying to be environmentally low impact with the color, but sure regret not getting White, it was my second choice - yours is very nice
Originally Posted by Apex Ace

Love my AEV JK350. Took it out last weekend.... it’s a snow warrior!
Wow!

Escalanate Grand Staircase has got my vote.
Let us show you some fun jeep roads!

Last edited by Perimeter; 02-23-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:25 PM
theunitedstates
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Love Jeeps, great photos!! I am kicking around getting a Jeep down the road, and this thread just feeds that want...
Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Rob you are now ready for the bear tooth pass Telluride to Silverton well maybe Ophir to Silverton your ride is too new.. Have fun, lots of beautiful off roads in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

This is a better thread then you'll find on the Jeep Wrangler forum
Old 02-23-2019, 01:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by theunitedstates
Love Jeeps, great photos!! I am kicking around getting a Jeep down the road, and this thread just feeds that want...
Do it!

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Rob you are now ready for the bear tooth pass Telluride to Silverton well maybe Ophir to Silverton your ride is too new.. Have fun, lots of beautiful off roads in your neck of the woods.
Thanks! We are blessed with great roads here. I love driving, and now it is year round fun. Definitely going to head to Telluride sometime this year.

Originally Posted by RDCR
This is a better thread then you'll find on the Jeep Wrangler forum
You aren’t wrong!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Perfect move and the correct justification for it, the options for new avenues for fun and experiences. I have a TRD Pro Tacoma to pair with my GT3, polar opposite vehicles but all bases are covered for whatever adventures you want to get into. I think you’ll really enjoy it.
Thanks! TRD Pros are awesome. Beasts. Yep, all bases are covered.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Do it!

Thanks! We are blessed with great roads here. I love driving, and now it is year round fun. Definitely going to head to Telluride sometime this year.

You aren’t wrong!
Keep me in mind if you do head that way this summer. My daughter and I like wheelin up that way. We will come meet you for a lunch or something!

- Chris.

Quick Reply: Rob's new 458 has arrived!