Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Xpel Ultimate Plus safe for exposed carbon hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:35 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Is Xpel Ultimate Plus safe for exposed carbon hood?

My 2019 GT3RS with WP s being delivered to my dealership so it's time to consider options of clear protective film. Does anyone know if Porsche endorses the use of such products on their exposed carbon surfaces?

The specific product the installer recommended is Xpel Ultimate Plus. However, they do not know for sure if it will or won't do anything to the clear coating Porsche uses on their carbon fiber surface.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:47 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've always used PPF over carbon mirrors and roofs and will do the same on my RS with WP. I haven't had any issues at all, and I personally wouldn't drive around with a naked exposed CF hood. Also I would personally recommend Suntek Ultra over Xpel, I've had much better luck with Suntek than Xpel on my cars.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:50 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

That’s what I have over the exposed WP panels of my RS.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by reacher
Also I would personally recommend Suntek Ultra over Xpel, I've had much better luck with Suntek than Xpel on my cars.
Thank you for your quick response! The installer is flexible to types of PPF they can use. They are more comfortable with Xpel citing its thickness. Can you share a bit more with us the issues you had with Xpel? Peeling, discoloration over time?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:00 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

XPEL or any other PPF is safe over Carbon Fiber.

There is a higher risk of the clear coat getting damaged when removing the film (still low chance). This is because clear coat does not bond to carbon fiber as strongly as paint. In worst case if damage occurs you can always just have the hood re-cleared.

its a lot better than if a rock pierces the clear coat and scratches the actual carbon fiber weave. That is irreparable. PPF will prevent most of that.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:07 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by once4all
Thank you for your quick response! The installer is flexible to types of PPF they can use. They are more comfortable with Xpel citing its thickness. Can you share a bit more with us the issues you had with Xpel? Peeling, discoloration over time?
In my experience, and maybe things have changed, Xpel seems to get damaged easier, is less clear/more orange peely, and doesn't seem to stick as well. I always had problems with it starting to peel, but with Suntek I've had no issues like that. On my .1 GT3 I had to replace every single Xpel panel because it was either damaged or was coming loose. My Huracan that was completely covered in Xpel had it peeling in places as well. I also didn't think it looked as clear as the cars I've had done with Suntek.

I've gone through multiple installers and dealers on my cars, and everyone I've talked to seems to prefer to work with Suntek. That's just my experience, though. Xpel isn't a bad product by any means, but if it was my car I'd stick with Suntek since I've had zero issues with it. In fact, a couple of weeks ago a heavy box with an exhaust system dropped on my GT3's bumper and scuffed it really bad. I was sure I'd had to redo the whole panel, and texted my detailer to get that set up. He suggested using a hair dryer on the area, so I did, and within 20 seconds the whole area that was scuffed up really bad looked like nothing every happened. It was literally completely gone. So I can definitely vouch for their self healing properties!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:42 PM
once4all
Instructor

It seems for exposed carbon there is some risk to the clear coating from PPF, but not using PPF to heavily chipped area has even more risk. Benefit outweighs risk.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 PM
once4all
Instructor

Thanks again reacher, leaning towards to Suntek then.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Suntek v Xpel ultimate
Same as
Coke v Pepsi
Choose your installer wisely
Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by 0to60
Choose your installer wisely
The installer will use a clean room and laser aided cutting. In South Jersey. I need to transport the car on a flatbed truck insured, not enclosed transport but the distance is short.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:13 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by once4all
The installer will use a clean room and laser aided cutting. In South Jersey. I need to transport the car on a flatbed truck insured, not enclosed transport but the distance is short.
who are you in South NJ?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts

Both XPEL and Suntek are good. XPEL is slightly thicker, has a bit more orange peel, and is a little harder to work with.

Both films have a hydrophobic coating now, although this will wear off quite quickly. Both will be self healing.

I personally prefer SunTek since I think the biggest risk in PPF is actually during install and removal, so I want a film that is the easiest for the guy to work with, no matter his skill level.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

The new Xpel Ultimate Plus is thinner and easier to work with for the installer. I think the old Expel (thicker) is more durable but they don't make it anymore. I would find a great installer and follow his recommendation.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 PM
once4all
Instructor

Sounds good advice, Lodi.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:54 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgibrit
who are you in South NJ?
I am not in NJ sir. The installer is recommended to me by dealership.

Quick Reply: Is Xpel Ultimate Plus safe for exposed carbon hood?