Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18-way seats terrible for resale in GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

That’s cool. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
I chose 4 ways and manual on my GT3. I probably need extensive psychoanalysis

Do you need the psychoanalysis for the manual or the seats ?

Great choices. Enjoy. Mark
Old 02-23-2019, 08:49 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Do you need the psychoanalysis for the manual or the seats ?

Great choices. Enjoy. Mark
Probably for nothing related to the car
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Banango
The real question ought to be why we can’t convince Porsche to allow us to spec a new car with two sets of seats. I tried. Swapping them in and out is trivial and I have done the research regarding the wiring harnesses and module coding, so I believe I know what can and cannot be done, and how easily. As near as I can determine, this is simply a matter of wanting to preserve the astounding retail price of purchasing the second set of seats after build through the dealer network. Other manufacturers will sell two sets of seats at build time, and they will sell them at build time cost. Porsche is being perverse on this point so far as I can tell. It would obviously obviate the resale issue for those who have two sets, if that matters.
Are you sure this is the only point PAG is being perverse on when it come to money generation? Lol.

Dont most guys just trade in as opposed to sell? Don’t 18 ways result in a lower sale price new since dealers know buckets are more desirable and thus don’t most pay less for 18 way cars at time of new purchase on cars in stock and spec’d. If so you pay less going in and get less going out.

If you are the one specing 18 ways on a GT then my suspicion is even though you you pay the same on later trade dealer will tell you they can’t give you as much because 18 ways becyi bet their perception is that GT cars with 18 ways are less popular and thus will sit longer.

I have non buckets in my Spyder and love them. What a pleasure to just to slide in and not have to do the bucket maneuver to get in and out.

Last edited by Waxer; 02-23-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Its totally up to your body, not your opinion on looks or value. if you cant deal with buckets, you cant deal with buckets. If you are too wide for 18 ways, you will hate them, if you are too tall or like more recline, you will want adjustable seats. I cannot understand why anyone would care. Anyone buying 160k cars can afford a track seat if needed. Or can afford to drop 10k in price if you really need to sell it. Just go find cars that have them and drive them. There are enough folks here who have both and can help you "take a drive" or find the dealers who have used cars and go for a drive. I bought 18 ways, could not stand the buckets for long drives. I like to take 2 days runs in the mountains and want to be comfortable. I went and found a used RS with buckets, and drove it. It took 10 min to decide. I do not regret it, but have friends that do every time we go for a drive.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:37 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

i ordered 4 way and manual.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator1971
Im looking at the available 991.2 GT3RS builds and I’m seeing quite a few available without sport buckets. Some dealers are saying they are surprised to hear me say they are a must have for most owners.
They respond perplexed at my statement...
Are they spec’ing these cars for Cars and Coffee only lol?
Gator -
I agree with most everything that other posters have said but let me offer this. Generally speaking, yes, most often they are a must have on an RS so your perceptions are correct. If a dealer has a car with sofas of course they are going to respond perplexed in an effort to sell the car. I have had 3 Porsche's all with LWBs. A 2011 Boxster Spyder, a 2015 GT3 and now a 2018 GT2RS. I love the seats but on long drives they would not be my first choice. Over the years I have attended many HPDEs so my needs may be slightly skewed, hence the preference for the LWBs. If you do end up with LWBs definitely get the leather side bolster covers from Edgar Saadi.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:03 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

If GT people were less concerned about form over function on their street driven GT cars, they's have no trouble embracing comfort over some silly perception that ordering LWB will turn them into hardcore boy-racers (in their mind only!! )
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Are you sure this is the only point PAG is being perverse on when it come to money generation? Lol.

Dont most guys just trade in as opposed to sell? Don’t 18 ways result in a lower sale price new since dealers know buckets are more desirable and thus don’t most pay less for 18 way cars at time of new purchase on cars in stock and spec’d. If so you pay less going in and get less going out.

If you are the one specing 18 ways on a GT then my suspicion is even though you you pay the same on later trade dealer will tell you they can’t give you as much because 18 ways becyi bet their perception is that GT cars with 18 ways are less popular and thus will sit longer.

I have non buckets in my Spyder and love them. What a pleasure to just to slide in and not have to do the bucket maneuver to get in and out.
Waxer - no, they are of course perverse on many other points but this and the refusal to paint calipers a desired color are my pet peeves - but, touché!

I’ve decided for the moment to keep both cars, so no trade. This may prove a decision of incredible stupidity or one of great joy. Or both. My 15 GT3 has 4-ways. My 19 3RS I specced with LWBs. My surgically altered back would really like 18-ways. My increasing track time showed me that I need harnesses, hence the LWBs for the new car; we never found aftermarket buckets we liked as much as the factory ones. Functionally, it looks as if I will have a 15 GT3 to treat like a Touring, but without a manual box and with a bleedin’ great vision blocker behind the rear window; I completely appreciate / agree with your position regarding your Spyder. I have learned that Sparco back cushions, placed strategically, make the 4-ways surprisingly comfortable and allow long drives without pain or undue fatigue. I’m hoping the LWBs prove as amenable to some foamy customisation. I’ve not actually sat in the new car for more than a few minutes nor heard it running. It should return to me next month, a properly finished product...but stil with only one set of seats! I’ll learn more then.

Because we use and enjoy our cars, despite intense preventative maintenance, the trade-in / resale issue is always going to be mileage, not options.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
If GT people were less concerned about form over function on their street driven GT cars, they's have no trouble embracing comfort over some silly perception that ordering LWB will turn them into hardcore boy-racers (in their mind only!! )
Except for many the LWBs offer more comfort because they offer more support. I've had Porsches with 4 ways, 14 ways, 18 ways and LWBs, and, if I had to take a long trip in my Porsche, I would want LWBs all day and twice on Sunday. They are the only Porsche seats that don't fatigue my back and core. Second best were the 4 ways, but I could only do about 60 minutes in those with getting the ache going. I'll never buy a Porsche again without LWBs, but that's just me. Everyone has a different body and different perspective, but the idea that 18 ways are by definition more comfortable than LWBs is incorrect. And people with opinions about LWBs who've never actually spent any significant amount of time driving in them really don't know what they're talking about. You can't make an accurate assessment of these seats sitting in them for 5 minutes in a showroom. You have to drive them. I hated them when I sat in an RS for the first time. Then after driving them, I fell in love.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:33 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I drove 600 miles this past weekend in my touring with LWBs and didn't have any back issues or even a need to stop and get out to stretch. I drive 20 minutes to work in my Raptor and get all fidgety adjusting the seat because my back isn't a feeling it (I get this way in all normal seats typically). Had 18ways and never found a setting that didn't bug my back. Never had 4 ways, but for the right body type, LWBs can be very comfortable and supportive.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
dealer will tell you they can’t give you as much because 18 ways becyi bet their perception is that GT cars with 18 ways are less popular and thus will sit longer.
This isn't my experience - I took my 3 with 4-ways to four dealers and not one of them even mentioned the seats when giving me a price for the car. I was surprised and actually asked two of them about 4-ways vs buckets and both responded "it doesn't matter we'll sell the car regardless of seats".
The following users liked this post:
rw99 (03-22-2021)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:17 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

the 4 way is a great seat ...very comfy..and lightweight.
To many settings on the 18 way...and extra motors and more weight.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:50 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had all variants and outside of the LWBS being more difficult to get/ out of, they're all pretty comfortable.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:26 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Only negative in the new Sport Buckets is the fact you can't flip them forward for easier access to the back as I can with the buckets in my 987 Boxster Spyder. Other than that they are great and my wife likes the fact she can raise and or lower the seat

Quick Reply: 18-way seats terrible for resale in GT3RS?